The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
4shongo

Finally charged my A/C

Charged the A/C system last night with right at 4lb of 134A refrigerant. 35 psi on the low side and 225 on the high side. Seems to do pretty good. Obviously I must have a leak but if I can put a can in per year at $10 it isnt worth fixing. My rear system blows like crazy. The guy I bought it from last year said it just stopped working last summer. I guess I will have to wait and see how ong it lasts. Thats alot of cooling space in our big Burbs!!!
4shongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Finally charged my A/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4shongo View Post
Charged the A/C system last night with right at 4lb of 134A refrigerant. 35 psi on the low side and 225 on the high side. Seems to do pretty good. Obviously I must have a leak but if I can put a can in per year at $10 it isnt worth fixing. My rear system blows like crazy. The guy I bought it from last year said it just stopped working last summer. I guess I will have to wait and see how ong it lasts. Thats alot of cooling space in our big Burbs!!!

I have always wondered how the dual setups would cool the interior. I have a complete rear air unit I thought about putting in my Burb. I think I will go ahead and insulate the whole interior just in case I decide to install it. Let me know how it works when it gets warmer out.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Indian113

Leon, I used to drive a sub at the factory between plants that had dual air and heat. Unless it was really hot sometimes I would just use the rear ac on high as I was driving. In the summer time if I was in a harnery mood I would turn on the rear heat just for the enjoyment of my dead beat passengers.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
Leon, I used to drive a sub at the factory between plants that had dual air and heat. Unless it was really hot sometimes I would just use the rear ac on high as I was driving. In the summer time if I was in a harnery mood I would turn on the rear heat just for the enjoyment of my dead beat passengers.

If you did that to me I would reach up front and ring your neck....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
4shongo

UPDATE TO AN OLD THREAD....

Well it is time to truly fix the A/C. The system lost it's full charge in less than a month and does not cool very well when the temps get around 90. It was changed over to a 134A system around 2000 I was told by the previous owner. Newer style 350 crate motor with serpentine set-up as well. Smaller pancake compressor. I'm thinking of changing out the expansion valve, pulling a vacuum and trying to charge it again in the next few weeks. I need a/c this year.
4shongo is offline   Reply With Quote