The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Four 12" subs in a blazer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps77 View Post
Generally, you'll want all your subs running off the same signal/wiring and Ive seen up to 24 speakers wire off the same single bridged channel coming off an amp.
Not trying to throw up a BS flag, but mathematically that would mean that their either running really low impedance if parrallel, or really high impedance in series.

24x 8ohm speakers in parrallel would be like .33 ohms total
or
24x 8ohm speakers ~192ohm in series.

Now I've seen systems go .5 ohm and less, so the 1/3 ohm setup in parrellel isn't impossible, but I really can't imagine the setup in series.

Can you show us the setup in question?

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
gramps77

Running a combination of series/parallel. It was 24 Soundstream 12s running off a Soundstream 10.0. Your math is right if you stay series OR parallel but you can mix it up too. There were sets of 4 wired wired parallel then series
gramps77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
gramps77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Not trying to throw up a BS flag, but mathematically that would mean that their either running really low impedance if parrallel, or really high impedance in series.

24x 8ohm speakers in parrallel would be like .33 ohms total
or
24x 8ohm speakers ~192ohm in series.

Now I've seen systems go .5 ohm and less, so the 1/3 ohm setup in parrellel isn't impossible, but I really can't imagine the setup in series.

Can you show us the setup in question?
easiest way to do it, in my example, is to wire 6 sets of FOUR speakers parallel which gives you a total of 1 ohm per set. Then you can wire them either series/parallel for a final load at the amplifier of 1.5 ohms(newer amplifier that can handle it, or, those old Soundstreams) or in series with a final load of 6 ohms which in a mono configuration at the amplifier the amp would "see" 3 ohms, which is perfectly acceptable even with the older amps.
gramps77 is offline   Reply With Quote