The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
dman1982

rant on for a minute..

not sure if this is the place to do this or not but I'm just kinda annoyed, one of the kids that used to work for me was telling me he was wanting to get a k10, i told him before he went out and got one to let me know and id go with him so he didn't get ripped off...well he went out and got a 75 k10, and not that its a really a bad truck...he just payed too much for it (3 grand)...had i of went with him he wouldn't have paid more than 2 and if so much more than 2

the truck has potential, it does have a OK running 350 supposably rebuilt, and does have some really good looking 37 inch toyo tires and nice rims, and 12 bolt front and rears, decent radio (not sure if it works) and the truck does have potential, but waaay out of his mechanical abilities at the moment...i told him about this site...im sure hell blow this up as bad as me with my 5.3 swap haha just feel kinda bad he didn't take the advice i gave him before he went out and bought it

oh and it has the 203 transfer case, one of the PO's took the front driveshaft out of it and gave him another one (one for a 208) ok now I'm done ranting lol
2001-Present

84 K10
2000 trans am ws6
2011 nissan altima
2009 Troy Built with a 42 Inch Deck

My LS Swap http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6559371
dman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
79Betty

Re: rant on for a minute..

Lettem learn the hard way. I did. Look how i turned out! Haha. My fiance's cousin isnthr same way. Complains bout his D-Max getting 10 mpg. Told him to lift it and get more air fuel in/out. What does ge do? Nothing. WHY THE HELL DID YOU ASK IF YOU WON'T TAKE MY ADVICE?!? Oh well. He'll learn 160 bucks every time he fills it up.
1985 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe C10
79Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
dman1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79Betty View Post
Lettem learn the hard way. I did. Look how i turned out! Haha. My fiance's cousin isnthr same way. Complains bout his D-Max getting 10 mpg. Told him to lift it and get more air fuel in/out. What does ge do? Nothing. WHY THE HELL DID YOU ASK IF YOU WON'T TAKE MY ADVICE?!? Oh well. He'll learn 160 bucks every time he fills it up.
For real man...it's like let me get that 20 minutes of my life back!!! Haha
2001-Present

84 K10
2000 trans am ws6
2011 nissan altima

Old 03-24-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

word of the day:
Attached Images

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #5
79Betty

That, is my lesson for the day haha.
1985 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe C10
79Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
Cabnchassis

Ouch. Thats kind of obscene...I'm gonna rant for a bit and you'll see why.

First off it would have to be a sweet half ton to to be worth that to me. Mostly though I'd never buy a 4x4 that didn't engage already. I broke my t case I don't mind fixing it, I don't want to fix one someone else broke. I doubt I'd of even left the house for that one. No front driveshaft? call me when you've got it back on and I can engage 4wd. Shoot I'm irritated with the kid after hearing that.

My 92 k2500 with 4.10s and limited/locking rear diff, power everything a/c a np241 factory skid plate the 8400lb gross setup, pretty nice trailer brake controller. pro installed 5th wheel and tongue hitches with all working trailer plugs. One owner 150K miles and a huge stack of oil change and service records. had been smoked in a lot but i couldn't care less. Everything was 100% when i bought whats broke I broke. I only paid $3k for that truck. And I wouldn't of paid too much more than that for it.

My 91 C+C 3+3 r3500 was bought new by a diesel shop that used it to haul bio diesel drums around. Shop got shut down by the IRS truck got sold to a dealer to dealer lot I used pass going home. 160k on the 6.2 shop ledger in the glove box with mileage log and service records(that I let get rained on...ruined) needed a battery and a new glow plug controller, and that one only cost $1800 because they couldn't start it for love or money. I made the deal with him before i even started that it if I liked it I could have it for 1800 if not i'd show what it needed to start.

My parents 87 r2500 6.2 burb was on CL for $1000 because the old man had owned it from day one replaced the motor at just after 200k and because the injection pump timing was a c hair off and it shook a little at the stop lights, he was sure the heads were effed. Only time I've ever paid more than the asking price. professionally redone interior, factory replaced AC the year before and the Cruise around the same time. I paid him $1250 and two years later they've not put a dime in outside of maintenance.

These trucks are out there in quantity and some look really nice but you'd better take someone who's banged some knuckles on one with you to check it out. Who would know there is an extra bracket on the back of a 6.2 starter that hadn't done it? (no bracket no deal, ive seen those starters fall out and take a piece of block with them) And a hundred other little chevy things like tbi vacuum ghosts or rotted spring mounts.

You tried to help him, you couldn't have done more, so rest easy. The key to getting a GM gem is patience, which he may learn after this buy. Any motor GM makes or had made for em were good motors you just gotta know what year, injection, running gear you want for that motor and be PATIENT.
Cabnchassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:22 AM   #7
andrewmp6

Gm never made a 12 bolt front axle,The front could be a 10 bolt or maybe dana 44 they both look a like.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:42 AM   #8
BigBlocksRule

While it's frustrating to see the next generation making the same mistakes we all made, that's part of life. Unfortunately, most of us have to learn first-hand, very few learn from other's mistakes.
At least it's a Chevy!
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:44 AM   #9
andrewmp6

We call it paying for your education when you over pay for something.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #10
dman1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Gm never made a 12 bolt front axle,The front could be a 10 bolt or maybe dana 44 they both look a like.
thats right....i was really going on with this rant...it was the 44
2001-Present

84 K10
2000 trans am ws6
2011 nissan altima

Old 03-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
dman1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabnchassis View Post
Ouch. Thats kind of obscene...I'm gonna rant for a bit and you'll see why.

First off it would have to be a sweet half ton to to be worth that to me. Mostly though I'd never buy a 4x4 that didn't engage already. I broke my t case I don't mind fixing it, I don't want to fix one someone else broke. I doubt I'd of even left the house for that one. No front driveshaft? call me when you've got it back on and I can engage 4wd. Shoot I'm irritated with the kid after hearing that.

My 92 k2500 with 4.10s and limited/locking rear diff, power everything a/c a np241 factory skid plate the 8400lb gross setup, pretty nice trailer brake controller. pro installed 5th wheel and tongue hitches with all working trailer plugs. One owner 150K miles and a huge stack of oil change and service records. had been smoked in a lot but i couldn't care less. Everything was 100% when i bought whats broke I broke. I only paid $3k for that truck. And I wouldn't of paid too much more than that for it.

My 91 C+C 3+3 r3500 was bought new by a diesel shop that used it to haul bio diesel drums around. Shop got shut down by the IRS truck got sold to a dealer to dealer lot I used pass going home. 160k on the 6.2 shop ledger in the glove box with mileage log and service records(that I let get rained on...ruined) needed a battery and a new glow plug controller, and that one only cost $1800 because they couldn't start it for love or money. I made the deal with him before i even started that it if I liked it I could have it for 1800 if not i'd show what it needed to start.

My parents 87 r2500 6.2 burb was on CL for $1000 because the old man had owned it from day one replaced the motor at just after 200k and because the injection pump timing was a c hair off and it shook a little at the stop lights, he was sure the heads were effed. Only time I've ever paid more than the asking price. professionally redone interior, factory replaced AC the year before and the Cruise around the same time. I paid him $1250 and two years later they've not put a dime in outside of maintenance.

These trucks are out there in quantity and some look really nice but you'd better take someone who's banged some knuckles on one with you to check it out. Who would know there is an extra bracket on the back of a 6.2 starter that hadn't done it? (no bracket no deal, ive seen those starters fall out and take a piece of block with them) And a hundred other little chevy things like tbi vacuum ghosts or rotted spring mounts.

You tried to help him, you couldn't have done more, so rest easy. The key to getting a GM gem is patience, which he may learn after this buy. Any motor GM makes or had made for em were good motors you just gotta know what year, injection, running gear you want for that motor and be PATIENT.
i agree with you completely I've only seen a few trucks around here id pay over 3 for, and a lot of guys think because they jack it up 10 inches or so and just throw a bigger carb on a tired 350 and some jegs and summit stickers that their trucks are worth 5 or 6 grand!!! i paid 500 bucks for my truck 5 years ago, its not the nicest thing around but its paid for and mine, someday it'll be nice looking but for right now i got a 5.3 sitting in it that i did myself (well with a lot of help from this forum) and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in this town with a truck set up like this...but holy crap i started ranting again!!! haha
2001-Present

84 K10
2000 trans am ws6
2011 nissan altima

Old 03-25-2014, 08:23 AM   #12
dman1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
We call it paying for your education when you over pay for something.
i agree, at least this kid is willing to try and learn...and i kinda admire that...im not a old man or anything (31) but I've always been taught if you can do it yourself don't pay someone else to do it, plus the usmc trusted me to work on aircraft weapon systems that was a lot more complex than our old trucks...so I'm not going to pay someone to put on a outer tie rod end, change my alternator, or heck drop a 5.3 in my truck
2001-Present

84 K10
2000 trans am ws6
2011 nissan altima

Old 03-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #13
tucsonjwt

The best vehicle deals I have come across are the ones I never bought. Of course, if I bought them, then they would be just like all of the other money pits I did buy.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:44 AM   #14
dman1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
The best vehicle deals I have come across are the ones I never bought. Of course, if I bought them, then they would be just like all of the other money pits I did buy.
I know exactly what you mean man...for me it was like missing out...I'll be right back with the cash is a good one!!!
2001-Present

84 K10
2000 trans am ws6
2011 nissan altima

Old 03-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #15
Cabnchassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman1982 View Post
i agree with you completely I've only seen a few trucks around here id pay over 3 for, and a lot of guys think because they jack it up 10 inches or so and just throw a bigger carb on a tired 350 and some jegs and summit stickers that their trucks are worth 5 or 6 grand!!! i paid 500 bucks for my truck 5 years ago, its not the nicest thing around but its paid for and mine, someday it'll be nice looking but for right now i got a 5.3 sitting in it that i did myself (well with a lot of help from this forum) and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in this town with a truck set up like this...but holy crap i started ranting again!!! haha
My favorite is on gmt400s "but this truck has the z71 package" I'm not paying you an extra 2 grand for your skid plate kid and those bilstiens in there have been blown for years.

And lift kits don't me started. I'd be rich if I just had a dollar for every chevy half ton someone killed with too much lift.

My friend showed up at my house one day with a 3" body lift and another 3 or so of suspension and some big tires I can't recall the exact size. First thing I did was climb under his truck with a tape. Then I explained how he just spent almost $5k to gain only a few inches diff clearance. By the time he re-geared I'm sure he was closer to $7K. He still has a hard time following me in my stock k2500 and if i feel like pushing my truck I can leave his ass behind.

Worst part of that whole deal by the time you figure tires, rims, lift, gears, engine mods, ECU tuning, paint, tint, new stereo and all that, he's 10k into mods. End of the day it's still a half ton running 35s or some crap like that on all stock half ton gear. He'll know how to change a 700r4 before too long here. He's already learning all about how much **** breaks in that IFS with those tires.

It gets me going...If i'd put that 10k into my truck it'd be bulletproof. But like everyone else said thats how they'll learn.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #16
dman1982

Quote:
My favorite is on gmt400s "but this truck has the z71 package" I'm not paying you an extra 2 grand for your skid plate kid and those bilstiens in there have been blown for years.

And lift kits don't me started. I'd be rich if I just had a dollar for every chevy half ton someone killed with too much lift.

My friend showed up at my house one day with a 3" body lift and another 3 or so of suspension and some big tires I can't recall the exact size. First thing I did was climb under his truck with a tape. Then I explained how he just spent almost $5k to gain only a few inches diff clearance. By the time he re-geared I'm sure he was closer to $7K. He still has a hard time following me in my stock k2500 and if i feel like pushing my truck I can leave his ass behind.

Worst part of that whole deal by the time you figure tires, rims, lift, gears, engine mods, ECU tuning, paint, tint, new stereo and all that, he's 10k into mods. End of the day it's still a half ton running 35s or some crap like that on all stock half ton gear. He'll know how to change a 700r4 before too long here. He's already learning all about how much **** breaks in that IFS with those tires.

It gets me going...If i'd put that 10k into my truck it'd be bulletproof. But like everyone else said thats how they'll learn.

lol, ya i agree, i ordered a 4 inch lift from rough country (I'm pretty sure they sent me a 6) and i put 35 inch tires, and did all the work myself....even with all the work I've put into my truck, i don't think i have more than 4 grand into it....other than normal maint stuff, still don't have a whole lot of money into it...and I've had it five years...only thing someone else did to the truck other than myself is the exhaust...and with this 5.3 swap I'm going to have to have someone go from the manifolds to my old exhaust

holy crap started ranting again...but ya its pretty funny this guys go and put all this cash into ifs and don't do it correctly end up breaking everything over and over again...plus that crap cost more
2001-Present

84 K10
2000 trans am ws6
2011 nissan altima

Old 03-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #17
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79Betty View Post
just gotta say not the best advice for a dmax. lift is going to hurt not help and removing all the emissions add a tune are the easiest ways to make the mpg better. mine got the best mpg with the egr blocked on the stock tires with a enconomy tune.
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #18
Cabnchassis

I didn't want to do the work on his because he's not one of those guys that would have really appreciated it the way I would want him to, I'd rather teach someone than do it for them. But yeah me or you would be into that truck for a whole lot less, his labor has to be at least 40% of what $ he has in it.

The only things ever I pay to have done is freeze plugs if they are the ones behind the motor mounts and rear end gears. The freeze plugs because i'm lazy like that (shop around the corner does em for like $90 each can't lose there) and the gears because they are beyond my abilities.

Edit I lied. I don't touch heads until a pro is finished with them either. I can do gaskets but rebuilding a head is too much for me.

That 5.3 swap sounds enticing. I'm not a huge SBC fan but I really like the 5.3. I work for the same company my dad does sometimes and they have 5 2001-02 half tons and one C+C truck all 5.3. The other day on the "best one" mileage was at 280k and the "worst" one should hit 370k before the month is over. My dads work truck has 350k and has been beat way too hard for a half ton, but im actually impressed with the dinker.

We needed a place to rant anyway this as good as any.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #19
dman1982

Quote:
I didn't want to do the work on his because he's not one of those guys that would have really appreciated it the way I would want him to, I'd rather teach someone than do it for them. But yeah me or you would be into that truck for a whole lot less, his labor has to be at least 40% of what $ he has in it.

The only things ever I pay to have done is freeze plugs if they are the ones behind the motor mounts and rear end gears. The freeze plugs because i'm lazy like that (shop around the corner does em for like $90 each can't lose there) and the gears because they are beyond my abilities.

That 5.3 swap sounds enticing. I'm not a huge SBC fan but I really like the 5.3. I work for the same company my dad does sometimes and they have 5 2001-02 half tons and one C+C truck all 5.3. The other day on the "best one" mileage was at 280k and the "worst" one should hit 370k before the month is over. My dads work truck has 350k and has been beat way too hard for a half ton, but im actually impressed with the dinker.

We needed a place to rant anyway this as good as any.

i thought gears were outta my ability too, i did my rear a week or so ago, wasn't near as bad as i thought it would be, but it was very very tedious...took forever do to it...i did have to buy a bunch of tools to do it but it was worth it....

the longevity of the 5.3 is why i went with it...i think my ol sbc would have lasted forever but lacked power...and would have costed about what i have in this whole swap to get the power of the 5.3
2001-Present

84 K10
2000 trans am ws6
2011 nissan altima

Old 03-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #20
dman1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
word of the day:
bruiser, back when i was in the usmc this was a constant annoyance!!!! with general advice or vehicle advice always the same thing!!!! I'm so remembering this post!!!!
2001-Present

84 K10
2000 trans am ws6
2011 nissan altima