The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
7D-TWO

Re: CPP Drop Spindles: Conflicting Information

I also had issues with tires rubbing especially with the inner fenders so I had to remove them, and also after researching here and there I decided to try the cpp modular spindles. So I ordered the complete big brake ki and I'm really happy with the results. No more issues with rubbing. I didn't take any measurements but as long as it cleared I'm happy. U can see the damage on the tire. Excuse the dirty wheels....too much rain that week. I'd say it moved in at least 0.5".Name:  20131004_201823.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  20140501_192329.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  36.5 KB
7D-TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
7D-TWO

Also as for the drop. ...i had 2.5 spindles and the cpp say it's 2" drop only but it looks pretty much the same to me. I don't know what u all think about it though.
Attached Images

7D-TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
Leverhead

Looks like those modular spindles did the trick...big difference. I thought I would add to this thread that my experience is the same as the OP. In Jan I bought a kit from CPP also (6370SWBK-6D) and although I'm finally getting around to it I started mocking things up before I blow things apart and I'm finding the spindles moving the wheels (from orig drums) approx. 5/8" out also. Needless to say I'm pissed because before I purchased I was assured by a rep they would only be moved out 1/4" max. I want to keep my 15x8 rallys and that simply wont work. I find threads 4-5 yrs old about the same problem and just don't understand why CPP hasn't resolved this and why all the conflicting information. So here's a question:

If I have the std dropped spindles and kit (which I was led to believe are 'new design' spindles - 1/4" max out from drum) and I can only resolve this with modular spindles can I use the same hardware (calipers, ball joints, tie rods etc) that are in the std kit that I already bought...with the modular spindles? Or is the entire std kit useless without std spindles?

I'll have to wait till Mon to call them .... I thought I would ask here first because right now I don't know who or what to believe from CPP.
Leverhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #4
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I think all in your kit should work.
The only thing I think you may need with the Modulars is the caliper mounting bracket.
Please keep us posted.
Your findings are exactly as mine;
the Cpp Non-Modular spindles moved my wheels out 5/8".

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:23 PM   #5
Leverhead

Yes...the caliper brackets...thanks I forgot about that. The kit came with mismatched UBJ's and outer rod ends. CPP took care of it and sent me the correct ones. Also not sure about the LBJ's now either. Finally got a chance to start this mod...and now back to the drawing board. I'll call CPP Mon and post my findings. Thanks for replying.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
Leverhead

Spoke to Van @ CPP...he's going to look into it. Question for 'LOSTMY65' or the OP. Do you know the casting# on your spindles? Mine are CP4S4. Chart in this thread says will move wheels out 1/16". Wondering if the castings are the same.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverhead View Post
Spoke to Van @ CPP...he's going to look into it. Question for 'LOSTMY65' or the OP. Do you know the casting# on your spindles? Mine are CP4S4. Chart in this thread says will move wheels out 1/16". Wondering if the castings are the same.
I don't remember the CPP casting but they most definitely moved my wheels out 5/8".
This was last year sometime. Fortunately I bought them from Summit, Not only were they cheaper than what I could find elsewhere, but they also gave me free shipping. And when I saw they moved my wheels out, they let me send them back no charge. If and when I buy modular, I will surely buy from Summit again.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
Leverhead

Smart move. I just measured again and I'm finding 5/8 to 3/4 out from lbj hole to rotor mounting face compared to the drums on the truck now. The chart definitely says 1/16 out for this casting and I was also previously told before purchase it would be 1/4 out...so I'm confused....unless I'm looking at this the wrong way. Giving them the benefit of the doubt as they have taken care of me before. When I hear back from CPP I'll post...thanks.