The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
LeGeneral

Preventing further rust on the '71 floorboards

Eventually I need to permanently address the rust problem on the floor boards but there are a few other areas on the truck that need attention and I'd like to hold out and get it all done and painted at the same time. Only issue being cash flow at the moment well that and I want to drive the damn thing this summer!

I'm wondering what's the best temporary solution to halting the rust until I have the resources to rip it apart and really get into removing it (its started creeping into the seams). For the time being I was thinking of just apply a good amount of rust inhibitor and covering it up with a rubber mat or something to prevent it from seeping into the carpet...

Any suggestions greatly appreciated...
Attached Images

LeGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
Nitis

Re: Preventing further rust on the '71 floorboards

Looks about like mine. I wire brushed the bad spots then used a rust inhibitor I got at the hardware store then have it a shot of primer. Not much else you can do

Yours looks like mine and I think mine won't get any worse in the meat ten years. And really the only way it can is if it gets to other body panels.

My dilemma is what to use for a floor covering. Since at some point it will be torn up again and hopefully sooner than later
Nitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
Sillyoldman

Man if that's all of the rust you have I'd just drive it until your'e ready to make the repairs. Mine was like that for sixteen years before I decided to repair it.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
LeGeneral

The climate up here is hard on vehicles, I do store it all winter as we use salt on our roads but even still with the humidity in the summer months it worries me a little that it will really start taking off..
Old 04-24-2014, 11:24 PM   #5
diggerbob

I may be wrong but I would dose it with phosphoric acid with a wire brush on a drill to eat out the bad spots, then prime. That doesn't look to bad.
diggerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:24 AM   #6
In The Ten Ring

I used NAPA "Rust Inhibitor" on my truck's floor (inside) and on its cab-to-frame bushing brackets. On the floor I then hit it with flat black primer (spray can) and on the brackets I hit it with NAPA brand of undercoating.

POR 15 is a popular one but very expensive it seems. The NAPA stuff was pretty inexpensive, as I recall. I'd use it again.

That stuff is bad to breathe....I wore a mask and opened up the garage doors and used a fan to blow away fumes.

I wired brushed and used coarse sandpaper as much as I could on everything.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:38 AM   #7
Nitis

The stuff I used was jasco brand like $12 for about a liter
Nitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
LeGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
I used NAPA "Rust Inhibitor" on my truck's floor (inside) and on its cab-to-frame bushing brackets. On the floor I then hit it with flat black primer (spray can) and on the brackets I hit it with NAPA brand of undercoating.

POR 15 is a popular one but very expensive it seems. The NAPA stuff was pretty inexpensive, as I recall. I'd use it again.

That stuff is bad to breathe....I wore a mask and opened up the garage doors and used a fan to blow away fumes.

I wired brushed and used coarse sandpaper as much as I could on everything.
Yeah I've looked into the POR 15 stuff...like you said it looks expensive and if i'm going to spend the money I may as well do it properly which means waiting until I get it painted. I'm headed over to NAPA today, thanks for the advice