The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
jtwells

Exclamation Muncie T&F shifter any experiences with it??

Hello i have a 1972 chevy SWB, over the sumer im building the frame and i have a M20 i want to use. I plan on having the 350 small block in the 4X4 or I6 engine position. i already dont like how far back the shifter would fit with the M20 shifter location so i was thinking about making brackets to move it forward and modify the rods. but i found this T&F shifter that seems to put the shifter in the loaction of a top loader which would be perfect. anyone know anything about these or have any experiences with it or know anyone with one?
link: http://www.hotrodscustomstuff.com/OL...TFshifter.html
Attached Images

jtwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #2
jtwells

Re: Muncie T&F shifter any experiences with it??

Or does anyone have any other suggestions? thanks
Old 05-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
SS Tim

A $450 shifter would have me rethinking the plan.
Why do you want to move the engine back to the rear holes isn't your 307 in the front holes?
I'd strongly suggest just putting the engine in the stock location and digging up an O/D trans for your truck.
What are your plans for the floor? Not too sure how well that "device" would fit under a "high hump" removable cover.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
jtwells

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
A $450 shifter would have me rethinking the plan.
Why do you want to move the engine back to the rear holes isn't your 307 in the front holes?
I'd strongly suggest just putting the engine in the stock location and digging up an O/D trans for your truck.
What are your plans for the floor? Not too sure how well that "device" would fit under a "high hump" removable cover.
i would like to move the engine back for alittle better weight distribution. i was planning on a high hump and then a large shifter boot if i went with this shifter. i also am going to contact them to get some dimensions on the product to know for sure. i know $450 is steep but i need to get a shifter for my trans anyway which could run me around $250. id much rather make the trans i have work then buy another. and i guess your right "device" is alot more accurate description then shifter
Old 05-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

I think you were on the right track when you spoke of moving the shifter forward, and making new rods. This is a picture of my saginaw. The shifter is far enough forward for a bench seat.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
Katrina/10

That's a very interesting shifter! Never seen or heard of one of those before, I could have used one in my 55 when I put an M20 with a Hurst shifter in. The stick came up really close to the seat, and I had to bend it a lot to make it work. In your case, moving your engine forward 2 inches would not affect weight distribution enough to notice, but still may not give you enough shifter clearance.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #7
jtwells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
That's a very interesting shifter! Never seen or heard of one of those before, I could have used one in my 55 when I put an M20 with a Hurst shifter in. The stick came up really close to the seat, and I had to bend it a lot to make it work. In your case, moving your engine forward 2 inches would not affect weight distribution enough to notice, but still may not give you enough shifter clearance.
i would acually be moving the engine about 3ins back(from the v8 to I6 position) so that is why i think this shifter, or one like it would almost be necessary becuase that would cuase the shifter to be under or almost under the seat.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #8
Lattimer

My $0.02-------the photo in the first post will require significant alteration of the trans hump to fit.

I have my engine in the L-6 position and I was running a Saginaw 4-speed before putting in the TKO. I have the bench seat. I bought a hurst shifter for bench seat tri-5 Chevy's because I had read it would work. WRONG. Had to modify the lever a lot, it had to come up about 4 " and forward 4" to clear the seat all the way back. It worked, but it was tight and the seat couldn't move forward at all.

I don't know the standard shifter location on the Muncie vs. the Saginaw, but either one is going to be tight to fit. The shifter shown in the first post would help, but then you have to deal with the floor.

You probably just have to decide which pain in the ass you want to deal with....

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote