The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
bigo181979

Ball Joint vs Uniball (Jeebus Joint) UCA on a bagged truck...

What are the pros and cons of the Uniball upper vs using a traditional ball joint? I am trying to decide what upper control arms I want to run... Any thoughts and or suggestions?
bigo181979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:13 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: Ball Joint vs Uniball (Jeebus Joint) UCA on a bagged truck...

Depends on a lot like what size wheel stock cross member or do you have a raised one or z'd frame.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
bigo181979

Porterbuilt dropmember, and im going to be running either a 20 or 22 in the front, haven't decided yet.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:01 AM   #4
andrewmp6

From what i have seen on mini trucks the uniball will lay out a bigger wheel easier then a normal ball joint.With a dropmember you can run either so its more up to you.Me personally i love the looks of the flat plate arms from michigan metal works.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
bigo181979

Yeah I do too. Thats what I plan to run, just trying to decide on the ball joint arms for $699 or if going to the Jeebus Joints for $1000 is worth the extra money...
Old 05-16-2014, 04:23 AM   #6
Ghostwhite
Squarebody guy

I was informed by a member of another board that there have been reports(internet) of issues with uniball joints failing prematurely while driving with the joints maxed out for extended periods. I haven't had time to dig further on this point but will eventually.

It doesn't cause me concern yet as I only plan to max out if I need to clear a singular obstacle, which would probably be crossed at a very mild speed. I still may steer towards buying the MMW arms.
Ghostwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
bama63

http://ubmachine.com/monoballhousings.html (scroll to bottom) been using these over 20 years with out any failures in late model dirt oval racing, the hi misalignment monoballs can be put in some very severe angle with out problems. hope this helps
Old 05-19-2014, 02:25 AM   #8
Ghostwhite
Squarebody guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama63 View Post
http://ubmachine.com/monoballhousings.html (scroll to bottom) been using these over 20 years with out any failures in late model dirt oval racing, the hi misalignment monoballs can be put in some very severe angle with out problems. hope this helps
I don't doubt their effectiveness in properly designed applications at all but I do think in the air-ride scene some folks may be pushing the limits of these joints past their intended range of motion for the sake of another inch of lift or to fit the next largest size of wheels. A properly designed suspension might use another form of range of motion limitation like a limiting strap or shock/strut internal bumpstops instead of a maxed out joint. The individual skill level of each different builder may come into play.

It would seem in my mind that whether it is a uniball or regular balljoint, if you have the joint itself maxed out and then drive over say a large bump or crack it would only be a matter of time before the joint would become wallowed out to the point of failure, which one would last longer is determined by the design.

(disclaimer: I am no suspension expert or design guru, just some joe with an opinion.)
Ghostwhite is offline   Reply With Quote