The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
old cool

Question Any risks to over-tightening rear fenders?

Seems like an elementary question, but I occasionally hear a popping noise in rear when cornering. I pulled on driver's side rear fender (fenderside PU) and did get some movement. Passenger side was snug.
Can I just reach under and crank the nuts down or is there another procedure to follow? I don't want to bend or stretch any metals. Seems obvious, but I don't want to over-tighten, strip, or, bend something and have regrets later.
old cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
1963c-10

Re: Any risks to over-tightening rear fenders?

Are the support rods still attached? Shouldn't be much movement with the rods in place.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
old cool

Hello and thanks for feedback. I do have two brackets on both sides (rear). The brackets come down to the upper pinch folds of fenders. There are, however, no brackets connected to the very bottom ridge of fenders. I did pull on fender and it seems the bolt is not snug behind left rear. It's probably a no-brainer from here. I don't see where I can mess anything up unless I'm suppose to add some kind of rubber washer. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Assuming fenderside means stepside? The term throws me of lol

You would originally use a fender welting, but because it can hold moisture, many folks opt for another method. If you have nothing between the metal fender and the metal bedside, then Yes, your missing something.

When we had mine tossed together without the welting and some better hardware, it would groan and rattle all the time.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

In my youth, an old guy told me fender welting should never be used. Once the lacquer finish breaks down, moisture gets into the fabric and generates rust. So when my 48 Chevy coupe was brand new, he removed the rear fenders and replaced the welting with bicycle tire inner tubes.

I've not seen a stock truck with welting. The truck shop manual calls for a bed of "sealing compound" between the fender and bed side. I used strips of industrial rubber because I had it available, and I held it in place with black 3M weatherstrip adhesive.

On the inside of the bed, the use of "fender washers" will spread the load of the fasteners and keep the sheet metal flat. Using standard small flat washers with any type of cushion between the fender and bed can easily cause dimpling of the bed side if the fasteners are over tightened.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post

I've not seen a stock truck with welting. The truck shop manual calls for a bed of "sealing compound" between the fender and bed side. I used strips of industrial rubber because I had it available, and I held it in place with black 3M weatherstrip adhesive.

On the inside of the bed, the use of "fender washers" will spread the load of the fasteners and keep the sheet metal flat.
my original bed had welt, as did an AD bed I helped a guy strip to put his 60's fenders on.

I agree tho, the stuff is junk and hold moisture. VW guys turned me onto a 3m product that works like the innertube, but is a higher density close foam rubber. They use it on the big expanses of fender on those old bugs, and I've seen it used on 40's big fendered cars as well. I'll put up a part # of what I used.

I agree on the washers as well, I had a nice set of stainless hardware and lost 1 washer. Threw a generic one on in a pinch, and sure enough, there is a little "ripple" where it was when I cranked it down. Replacing it with the big fender washer solved that, and the ripple was so small no lasting damage was done thankfully.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:50 AM   #7
old cool

I'm very impressed by all the considerate people on this forum. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this journey of truck ownership.
I am amazed that there are so many little things that come to making these classics better than new. I hope the guy who restored my gmc used something to keep moisture out and rattles at a minimum.
As an aside, I heard that GMCs were called fender side and Chevys were called stepside. I once called them flareside. Don't ask me how I came up with that.
Last fall I look at a Mopar. The car had 3 two barrels. I asked about the tri- power unit. The owner quickly corrected me and told me that it was called a six pack. lol
Old 05-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by old cool View Post
I'm very impressed by all the considerate people on this forum. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this journey of truck ownership.
I am amazed that there are so many little things that come to making these classics better than new. I hope the guy who restored my gmc used something to keep moisture out and rattles at a minimum.
As an aside, I heard that GMCs were called fender side and Chevys were called stepside. I once called them flareside. Don't ask me how I came up with that.
Last fall I look at a Mopar. The car had 3 two barrels. I asked about the tri- power unit. The owner quickly corrected me and told me that it was called a six pack. lol
haha, ya you got me on that one. I've heard the fenderside, stepside, "Styleside", flareside, farmside. Go figure.