The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
twisted1

Twisted1;s 65 build thread

hey guys, im pretty new here, i posted pics a month or so ago in the welcome thread, but no i have finally had time to get started on my new project.
so i am going to document it along the way. i have found tons of good info and stolen a few ideas along the way here on this site.
so here are some pics so far......
here is the truck as i first bought it

and the day i brought her home

so now fast forward a month or so.....i took the front clip off pulled the drivers door off and removed the drivers rocker

looks like i have my work cut out for me!! i have never been this in depth in a restoration before so its going to be a learning experience for sure!!!

i have some suspension and 5 lug conversion parts already, also front power disc brake stuff from a 83 c10 to swap over.....looks as if the control arms are the same though.....wondering if i can just swap the spindles and brakes and be done or if the whole front crossmember will need to be intalled....
i will be striping the rh rocker off this weeks so i can get my sheet metal parts ordered up for it.

my plans are pretty basic, flat black paint with a pin up girl on the door and rally wheels with rings and caps 15x6 up front and 15x10 in the rear with a 5" drop in the rear and 4 in the front to keep it level....

im going to try and keep the existing 350 that is in it as the seller says its pretty recent rebuild....i think i will put a larger cam in it and a edelbrock performer rpm and holley 750 double pump carb in it all my buddies want me to LS swap it.....but it seems everbody is doing it and the old school stuff is dying........so i want to be different in that aspect.

anyways, coment and advise is welcome and thanks for looking
twisted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:47 PM   #2
twisted1

Re: Twisted1;s 65 build thread

by the way, where can a guy get bed sides from....not just the lower patches but say the whole thing?
Old 05-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
Jeff La

New bedsides are not reproduced yet. Have to find used or nos. Nice truck
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:48 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

You do not have to change the whole crossmember if you don't want to. You can change the control arms and then add the spindles, etc. or just change the ball joints in your original arms and add the spindles, etc.

Yeah, there are no repop bedsides available. It's a little rough, but you may be able to fix that bedside if you can't find another side.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Welcome to the addiction! Nice truck for a start! I want that old Apache in the 1st picture! lol!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:53 PM   #6
twisted1

thank you for the welcome.......
T.J. he might be willing to sell that......he is a member here i believe.