The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Offenhauser vs Clifford intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusedontheprize View Post
@56Rodder: Yes he is. I spoke to him earlier and he is a wealth of knowledge and is a huge help.

@'68OrangeSunshine: I was following you in a couple of the threads and saw that you had ran the combination before and made the upgrade to the Edelbrock after the Holley.

Thanks for all the feedback. After all the info and speaking with Tom - I am going to go with the Offy and 390 I believe.
'Focused-': I ran my R8007 Holley for 25 years. When I rebuilt a fresh 292 in 2005, I had recarbed the Holley. It ran OK for the 500 mile break-in, then after a backfire, it just wouldn't set up right again -- new power valve [8.5 " Hg.] or not. The local hot rod shop guys said my baseplate must be warped after 250,000 miles, but the cost for a replacement part wasn't much less than a whole new carb. My "Holley Guy" was going thru a painful divorce and couldn't help me much, so I went with the Edelbrock. I had never. in all that time, mastered the knack of working on my own Holley. The Carter AFB design however was idiot proof, as I had found on a couple of trucks with V8s and AFBs. Federal Mogul had bought out Carter and dropped making carbs after '99, so Edelbrock was the only game in town. A 400 CFM AFB would've been a closer match to the Holley 390 CFM, but they were not available. Really, I think I like the Edelbrock more than I did the Holley, and a backfire doesn't kill a $12 power valve every time.
Prior to deciding to rebuild, I had done 2 things:1] converted to a cable throttle [GM c.'72 style] and 2] bumped up the 390's accelerator pump from stock (35cc?) to 50cc. With the old Rube Goldberg bellcrank on the Holley, I never got near WOT. Also it would jam, lose little hairpins, ice up etc. always at the worst possible time. New cable = Zero Defects. The 50cc was just a lot of fun.
Oh, and Nice Color on your '49. Is that "Omaha Orange?"

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote