The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
luckyss

Wiring help - steering column

So my truck is almost wired, I hooked up the battery and the steering column harness but now I'm confused. The left tail light is on all the time so I did something wrong.

With a test light from the left of the smile:
Black is hot
Green is hot
Black / yellow is hot
Purple off
Black is hot
Next three are off.

Is this right?

Can anyone give me a breakdown of what should be wired where without the diagram? Stuck trying to trace it but it's not making sense to me as I don't have stock wiring to begin with
luckyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
luckyss

Re: Wiring help - steering column

Never mind, I'm colorblind
Old 06-01-2014, 05:28 AM   #3
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

its like guys putting a ford 351 Windsor motor and trans is and using all GM wire harness or painless

Me i like M&H wire harness its plug and play yest it will cost you 7-900 But knowing everything is factory Man i rewired 3 of my trucks took me 6 hours to do a truck Have not had a problem at all
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
luckyss

Nah, so far I like the EZ harness. Spending any more for m&h painless autowire etc would have been a waste.

Lights are lights, and aside from maybe 2 plugs, steering wheel and ignition which my truck never had in my ownership(whole reason to rewire), nothing is stock, and I never had a "stock harness" in the truck...just some pieces the rest had been hacked by PO(s) so spending any extra would be a waste of money. Makes for tracing the diagrams to these different unlabeled componets a treat

The only time waster for me is life gets in the way, so I spend an hour a day on it, between set up and clean up, I'm probably 1/2 hour of progress a day. I am also doing it in my opinion "right" and nylon wore wrapping each run of wires for protection and clean install. I hate when people rewire with a bought harness and just slap it in with zip ties all quick and easy. I like if I so something, I'll do it my way, how I want to run the wires not factory style. Not always the cleanest IMO