The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2014, 02:28 AM   #1
kdearing

71 Chevy 6 speed trans swap question

Will a 6 speed out of a 97 camaro work in a 71 Chevy truck? Has anyone done it. I know a 5 speed out of a truck will but not sure of the 6 speed
kdearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:40 AM   #2
SS Tim

Re: 71 Chevy 6 speed trans swap question

Since stock T56 Camaro transmissions have problems in Camaros why?
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
Lattimer

It can be done, but the shifter will be very far back. Definitely can't use a bench seat, and probably have to fab a handle to get a decent position for the shifter.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
Heavymetl

Swapping in a T56 is expensive.

To do it "right", you'll need to take into account the following factors:

1) Mid-shift conversion. This relocates the shifter further forward allowing a normal truck shifter position.

2) High Hump

3) Flywheel. You'll need to buy a flywheel for your (most likely) 2-piece RMS Engine.

4) Clutch hydraulics. The LT1 hydraulices used a goofy pull-type clutch mechanism. There are better options out there and I'd recommend a hydraulic throwout bearing.

5) VSS Speedo output. No cable driven stuff here.

6) Chances are, the T56 from 1997 is shot anyway. The Borg Warner built T56 does seem to hold up better than the Tremec build trans, but let's face it; LT1/LS1 F-bodies lived rough lives at the hands of teenagers and 20 somethings. I know...I was one!

The T56 is a great transmission that is truly no compromise. I have 1 in my Camaro, and with 4.30 rear gears I can still effortlessly cruise 85mph and get 20+ mpg with the LS. They are many times stronger than a lousy "rock crusher" from the 60's and once rebuilt they'll withstand stupid amounts of torque. Good luck and remember, it nice..but it ain't cheap!
Heavymetl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
Custom 68

mine is a newer one from my ls conversion but I did mine with a "custom" bent and fabricated shift rod, I do have bucket seats but got away with not doing the mid-shift conversino. I would say that would probably be ideal but I got away without it.
I also used my low hump however it is close and a high hump would be better. I did custom mount my engine and tranny so I got it lower than some.
A good clutch is a must since these things are heavy. I am using a Spec stage 3+ and the Spec billet flywheel. It can be done but you will spend a few dollars.
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote