The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #26
NEWFISHER

Re: 2500 mile family vaca towing a trailer in a 50 Suburban...why not?

Tomb23 you are right, great place and we are all around to help when needed.
Update:
The 250 kicks ass! Was planning several routes around the Grapevine but after tearing up th Syskous in Oregon, we thought a B line to Disneyland was in order.

First day we stopped in Redding and met up with Glen aka G&R's57GMC for a shop tour and some double double animal style burgers at my faVorite place on Earth, In &Out burger. I think its Glens favorite place too as everyone who worked there said hi to him! I snapped a pic of his tricked out SSR next to the family truckster. We then hauled the mail down to At****er to hang out with Rene and Renata aka C/10 KING. WOW is all I can say. He had surfer Bob and Jim aka Hemi Jim over with a couple of their trucks, brought their wives a nd we all shared a great meal at the local pizza joints where we were treated like roalty. Must be nice being the k
King lol! Stayed at Renes place and boogied out at 5am hoping to land in LA after the morning rush hour. Still sat in traffic and got to the RV resort at noon. We were going to do one of the parks, but the cool shade system over the trailer for a nice nap and being directly across from the pool was making our "wanting to stand in line to ride a ride" feelings quickly deminish. A few of the others had already left this morning and took their cars from camp.
This first pic was really cool before the phone delay on the camera. You can barely see MT Shasta "floating" in the clouds above the trees. Just the upper glacier was visible in the sun and was surrounded by clouds....like Heaven

Its not Nastruck but passes Semi's on the top of the Grapevine by Tejon Ranch

Check out the solar/shade cover over the trailers....and the pool across the drive

Home for a few days. Now that I'm here, I'm not sure if this isn't the happiest place on earth and that Mickey's place is over crowded! May just surf the net, take some naps, go for a swim and a hot soak, fill the resort with the smell of bacon and fire coffee( brought the LP fire pit...buuuyha) and just enjoy this spot.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #27
OrrieG

I haven't driven Grapevine in 30 years and that one photo looks just like I remember it. Looks like fun, just the incentive I need to get back out to the garage. Mt. Shasta was covered in clouds by the aliens who have base there...
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:43 PM   #28
jremig

It wasn't a vintage truck (still under construction) but the wife and i towed a 73 vintage aristocrat 16ft trailer from las vegas, nevada to new york and back, 5200 mile round trip. I would do it again in split second. Have fun!!!
jremig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:58 AM   #29
NEWFISHER

Working our way North now. We took part in the West Coast Customs National event tonight with the cruise. 62 and older rigs, mostly sleds and bombs but the Burb fit in nicely. There were 3 other pre 55 Burbs cruising too! Doing the show tomorrow and then off to Monterey Bay Sunday to hit the Aquarium.

The burb has been a rock star the entire trip. Muffler baffle loose and rattles at certain rpm but that's it. Stayed cool in the cruise for 3 hrs, pulls the hills well, gets decent milage for what it is and what its doing and my wife has stopped counting the thumbs up's
Old 05-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #30
focusedontheprize

It sounded like a great trip.

Had to be great seeing you on the highway passing people with the AD and the camper.
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:39 PM   #31
nvrdone

Hey Fish - any updates on the run back home ? Inquiring minds want to know ...
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:33 AM   #32
slowcpe

Looks like an awesome trip. Would love to do something like that one of these days.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:45 AM   #33
Coach529

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
hey fish - any updates on the run back home ? Inquiring minds want to know ...
x2

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:48 PM   #34
NEWFISHER

The trip home was epic! Pacific Ocean, sun, redwoods and the best wife around. I'm not sure how many gals would get up at 330 am ,jump in a 64 year old rig with no radio, a/c, roll up windows and hit the road for 8 days and 2400 + miles then get back in 2 days later for a local cruise back home! Lost a baffle in the magnaflow, built up some excessive backpressure and heat which blew out the doughnuts on the down pipes. The burb likes to suck inert exhaust gasses when this happens and reduces power by 40% which doesn't help on the hills. Way home was slower, mostly the coastal traffic but also the old farm truck sounding burb limping home. Installed new gaskets, serviced eng,trans and rr diff. Swapped a fuel filter and cleaned the carbon out of he carb and she runs like new again. Was a busy couple nights before the cruise! We both enjoyed the bucket list classic car vintage trailer disney pacific coast vacation and are planning a SanJuan island Canadian Montanna Yellowstone trip for next year. I'm killing myself on our 65 wanting to sell it or ls swap it or ls swap burb. Going to look at a 50 truck this weekend a few hundred miles away maybe it will be a swap candidate?
Old 06-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #35
nvrdone

Sounds like a fantastic trip with a fantastic wife.
The magnaflow problem concerns me as I just bought a pair for my rig, but haven't installed them yet.
Any idea what caused the baffle to fail and does anyone know if this is a common problem ?
Old 06-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #36
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
Sounds like a fantastic trip with a fantastic wife.
The magnaflow problem concerns me as I just bought a pair for my rig, but haven't installed them yet.
Any idea what caused the baffle to fail and does anyone know if this is a common problem ?

Exhaust shop had never seen it happen and is sending it in to study at magnaFlow. My inliner huffs a lot of air and I was running just a single 2 1/2 in-out muffler. It pushed more air out the tail pipe than my leaf blower and during the fall I drive next to the curb and it will blow wet leaves up out of the gutter onto the sidewalk. I am sure this amount of force along with high engine temps pulling a trailer up the Siskyous and into Northern Cali was too much for the first baffle, or just a strange 'made on a Monday" thing.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #37
nvrdone

now that's the classiest leaf blower I've heard of yet. I may try it this fall.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #38
mr48chev

That sounds like it was a great once in a lifetime trip. I've always wanted to take a few weeks and do the Pacific Coast Highway top to bottom or bottom to top in one of my rigs. Hopefully I'll be up in the San Juan's on my sailboat the second or third week of August with the weekend of the 15/17 at Cap Sante Marina in Anacortes with my boat bunch.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote