The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2014, 03:00 AM   #1
Chrispbrown36

Which would you choose?

I have been keeping my eye on three trucks for about a month now and I am a bit torn on which one would be the better deal. All three are within a couple hundred bucks of each other. All of them are 2-3 hours away from me and only one of them have I been able to get someone who lives close to take a look at.
Truck #1- Is a 1971 GMC Super Custom. It has a straight 6 with three on the tree. Original paint in pretty good condition with 97% of the original trim. Interior is decent but would have to be redone. Has the original owners manual and the sales ticket. The only thing not original on it are the wheels. This truck has the most rust on it. Typical rocker and cab corner rust. The cab mounts are also rusted. This is the only one of the three that I have been able to have someone take a look at. He knows cars/trucks but is more into newer vehicles. he told me that the motor fired right up and purred nicely. He said the thing that would concern him most is the cab mounts.
Truck #2- Is a 1972 Chevy. This is based on pictures and what the guy has told me over the phone since I haven't been able to make it down that way. It has a 350 automatic. It is an A/C cab but not sure if it is working right now. The body is in very good shape. The rockers are solid and one cab corner has some rust in it. It has bucket seats with the console. Passenger seat is torn but not too bad. Trim is around 98% with just a few pieces missing. Dash pad is shot but the rest of the interior is in good shape.
Truck #2- Is a 1971 1 ton step side with a 350 four on the floor. Now, I am not a big fan of step sides but this one has caught my eye. The guy says it is a longhorn, but somewhere I read that longhorns were not made as step sides and I can not see the seam where the extra length was added. The body is in very good shape. I am guessing it is not the original paint....it just looks too good, but not a recent job. The interior is in very good shape including the dash pad. Aftermarket wheels but the rest looks to be all original.
I like the looks of truck 1 by far the best. I love the 4 eye grill, which is 100% intact, but I am not keen on the straight 6 or the three on the tree because there are times my wife might have to drive it and she can't drive a stick. The rust is the worst on truck 1, but it also has the most going for it as far as bling goes.
Truck 2 is very solid and the guy that has it knows something about the trucks. (which could be a bad thing as far as the price goes) I love the fact it is a 350 auto and the fact the rockers are solid. The interior is nice, but I prefer a bench seat and the guy wants another 400 bucks just for the buckets. And of course it being an A/C cab is a big plus.
Truck 3 looks to be in amazing shape but it is the furthest from me and so far the guy hasn't returned a phone call. As I said, I have never really cared for step sides but for some reason this one has caught my eye. Don't really want a stick, but I am more comfortable with a floor shift than a column. If it is a longhorn that would also be a big plus for it.
Obviously going and looking at them in person would be the best thing, but I hate burning gas to find out it's just not what I want. So I guess what I am asking is.....If you had your pick, which one would you want to look at first?
Chris
Chrispbrown36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
tranz am

Re: Which would you choose?

If you like the look of the GMC best, go with that. Rust can be repaired. Mounts can be replaced. Engines transmisions can be swaped. I would just make sure the rust isnt really bad, like big gapping holes and stuff. I will warn you though rusted areas can be time extensive to repair. But that being said most trucks have rust here or there. places to look is up above the sun visor and down on the floor board on the edges.
hope this helps. Go with the GMC if your a 4 headlight guy cause you will always like that more.

Best 1/4 mile time 12.1 @ 111 w/traction issues

1969 GMC SWB
1964 chevy II Nova ht
tranz am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:44 AM   #3
SS Tim

If you have been "watching" them for a month there may be more than meets the eye about them. The exception might be the 1-ton stepside. There was such an animal. A C30 or 3500 with a 9' bed. The bedsides, with four stake pockets, are specific and do not have seams like the 8-1/2 Fleetside beds on Longhorns. Quite frankly they are true "trucks" more comfortable with 2000lb in the back than not. If you just want a second car/driver project truck then pass on it.

Sounds like you should be looking for a C10 or GMC1500 if you are so inclined. GMCs are often cheaper too. Buy the best truck you can afford. A "cheap" project is going to nickel and dime you to death in the long run.

As far as these above trucks go your descriptions are way to generic to even begin to make a purchase decision from. In the end you are going to have to look at the better propects and quickly if you intend to get a nice truck for a nice price.

Here are some decoder links that may help you to at least know what you are looking at number wise. Knowledge is very much to your advantage when it comes to buying a truck, horse, airplane and so on.

* VIN/Model Decoders
* Power Team Charts (engine/transmission/gear ratio)
* Post Your Pickup SPID Blazer SPID Suburban/Panel SPID
* RTFM
... Read The Factory Manuals... download 'em here

Last edited by SS Tim; 06-15-2014 at 03:55 AM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
Tinkermc

It really boils down to which one blows your skirt up the best and it sounds like #1 has won. As said before rust, engines, tranny's can be replaced. Good luck and Welcome to the Forum.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:30 AM   #5
Chrispbrown36

Thank you for the replies. Part of the reason I have been keeping an eye on them is because I can't help but wonder why they are still for sale. I have noticed that in the last two months the market has cooled of a lot. Back in February and March it seemed everyone was looking for an old truck and saw some great deals that sold in minutes. I am really wanting something that I can work on and over time have something that ya just don't see on the road much. I already have my eye on a parts truck just up the road from me that I am fairly certain will cost me nothing more than the tow. Truthfully I want a 4x4 but in this area they are apparently made of pure gold. Found one 3 hours away in decent shape but needed brake work and I won't spend 300 bucks to tow it home so it is out. If I ever decide I will be sure and post up the rebuild.
Chris
Chrispbrown36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:38 AM   #6
Churchill

truck 3 sounds awesome. Truck two doesn't sound bad. Truck one I only like because of the three on the tree. I love those, but rust is no bueno. For you, it sounds like truck two is the best out of those three, based on the information given anyway.
Churchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:49 AM   #7
SS Tim

Saw truck #1, its rusty! Being a dressy stripper means it is never going to be a valuable truck. If you are comfortable doing extensive rust repairs then go look at it.

But it also sounds like you want an automatic and A/C truck. That puts you right up there with everyone else looking for a deal. So you are going to have to spend more to get in the game at that option level. Fixing up a "parts" tuck is a no win game for most people.
Unless you are willing to beat the bushes and drive to look at and/or recover trucks, I doub't you are going to find a deal in the $1500-2000 range.

BTW That is a C30 stepside and its beat!

Last edited by SS Tim; 06-17-2014 at 02:10 AM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
70cst

My vote is the 72 250 Automatic

But you need to choose which one "you" want

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:27 AM   #9
oldschool18

hell don't worry about buying the bucket seats......you can find a bench seat easy, heck I got two of them. I would go with the 350 with little rust.

62 Impala
70 C-10 LWB
71 K-10 SWB
85 C-10 LWB==SOLD
01 2500 HD

Members Met......2003Silverado (Dave)
oldschool18 is offline   Reply With Quote