The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
Posted

Truck Stalls - no power at ignition

Posting this here to see if I get a few replies. Truck runs perfect. Pull out of the garage let it run and it dies like someone turned the key off. Just finished the build. 2nd time this happened. Last time I changed the battery, check neutral safety plug, and checked and retightened all wiring to starter. Then it ran.

This time I looked at the coil wires and touched to see if they are tight, checked alternator wires. Put truck in and out of gear. A minute or two of this and it started. I had to leave so I drove it back in the garage. I think I have a ground issue on dash harness. I may not of grounded good enough. Other ideas welcomed.
Posted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
pwdcougar

Re: Truck Stalls - no power at ignition

Are you running stock points? Had a Ford van that did this and it wound up being the condenser.

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
Boyd
Resident Lurker

If you're running an HEI, check the ignition control module and the 12v lead going into the distributor.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."- H.L. Mencken
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdcougar View Post
Are you running stock points? Had a Ford van that did this and it wound up being the condenser.

Paul
I had this problem as well. Would drive for weeks and run like a champ then it would shut off without notice. Change the condenser on the side of the road and presto...running like a champ again. I have since convertered to an HEI setup and have had no other issues.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
Posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
If you're running an HEI, check the ignition control module and the 12v lead going into the distributor.
What is the ignition control module? Truck is now sitting with nothing happening at key. I have power to the ignition and 12 to the main pink to coil. Could it be a bad ignition?
Posted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
davepl

More grounds == better. Especially during a restoration when you're painting and powder coating stuff, I've added a whole extra package of chassis grounds and have run extra dash grounds and so on.

So far I'm a big fan of the Pertronix 3 module. Replaces points inside of a stock distributor body. I think it even does capacitive discharge and multiple spark, at least at lower RPMs.

In the shop manual it says very explicitly and boldly that the condenser is only there for radio interference prevention and plays no role in the ignition process.

Since I can't tell you what it actually does, I'll have to believe that. Of course if it shorts out internally that failure will play a -big- role in the ignition process, which a few of you have found out!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote