The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2014, 02:08 AM   #1
kitsbeach

Wanted three on the tree shift rods

I need the ones for a six cylinder mated to a saginaw 3-speed, likely only 68-72 will do.

I have a set of 1968 307 V8 to Saginaw and a set of 1967 6-cyl to muncie 318. I could sell or trade these if anyone is interested.

The rods I am looking for are the ones that go from the column to the shift levers on the transmission (307 version pictured here)
Attached Images

kitsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
Old Truck Man

Re: Wanted three on the tree shift rods

The shift rods for a V8 and six cyl should & will be the same. Ive swapped to a V8 from a 6cyl many times and the bellhousing trans & clutch ,shift parts all worked perfectly. If your having a exhaust clearance problem you likely have the incorrect exhaust manifolds.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
kitsbeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Truck Man View Post
The shift rods for a V8 and six cyl should & will be the same. Ive swapped to a V8 from a 6cyl many times and the bellhousing trans & clutch ,shift parts all worked perfectly. If your having a exhaust clearance problem you likely have the incorrect exhaust manifolds.
Thanks. I think you are right if you mount your V8 on the 6cyl engine mounts because nothing changes to much. But the factory V8 mounts were more forward than the 6cyl so in my case the rods will be too long.

It might just be a case where I can cut them and weld them but with all the weird bends and so forth I'd rather just get a set of 6cyl.saginaw rods.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #4
kitsbeach

I'll post up the pictures of the two sets I have in case it helps anyone else.

First set is the 307/Saginaw which look to be about 22" and 27" long.

Second set are the 6cyl/Muncie which are about 24" and 27" long (and I am told they don't play well with the Saginaw 3-speed).
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
kitsbeach

I have a mailbox in Washington 98281 if that's easier for anyone...???
Old 06-08-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
Arrington01

I think I have some.
Arrington01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:22 PM   #7
Old Truck Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsbeach View Post
Thanks. I think you are right if you mount your V8 on the 6cyl engine mounts because nothing changes to much. But the factory V8 mounts were more forward than the 6cyl so in my case the rods will be too long.

It might just be a case where I can cut them and weld them but with all the weird bends and so forth I'd rather just get a set of 6cyl.saginaw rods.
Moving the side mount perches from the 6 cyl to v8 position will not change the location of the trans & bellhousing. Most of these trucks have two bolts that go through the rear crossmember and rubber rear mounts and screw into tabs on each side the bellhousing. and that location is exactly the same for V8,s & 6 cyl,s. Going from a 6 to a V8 should be a bolt in. the only thing different is the pivot on the engine for the Z bar. Did you move the location of the bellhousing and move the clutch linkage? Did you change the length of your driveshaft? Im willing to bet the factory 6 cyl and V8 trans shift linkage is exactly the same.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #8
kitsbeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrington01 View Post
I think I have some.
That would be really cool. Could you take a tape measure to them so I can compare them to my 307 set.?

Ken (kitsbeach)
Old 06-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #9
kitsbeach

Quote:
Moving the side mount perches from the 6 cyl to v8 position will not change the location of the trans & bellhousing. Most of these trucks have two bolts that go through the rear crossmember and rubber rear mounts and screw into tabs on each side the bellhousing. and that location is exactly the same for V8,s & 6 cyl,s. Going from a 6 to a V8 should be a bolt in. the only thing different is the pivot on the engine for the Z bar. Did you move the location of the bellhousing and move the clutch linkage? Did you change the length of your driveshaft? Im willing to bet the factory 6 cyl and V8 trans shift linkage is exactly the same.
That sounds right to me. Especially the bellhousing side mounts being unchanged. Makes sense that the 307 rods would work.

Hoping Arrington01 can measure his and then we will know for sure.

I haven't changed my motor but am changing tranny to syncro 3-speed from muncie non-syncro 3-speed.

Gotta say this board is great for putting all the knowledge together...where else could you find this stuff.!?

Ken (kitsbeach)
Old 06-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
Old Truck Man

I converted a 66 pk from the early Muncie to a later full syncro Saginaw. I had to change the bellhousing for one with a larger diameter center hole for the Saginaw front bearing retainer. The rear outpuit was fine splined so the rear yoke needed changed. The original trans was short tailshaft. so the driveshaft was shortened. I used 69 shift rods but they where too short. so I cut them in two. they are hollow. I used steel rods that fit inside to lengthen them. After I converted I found first gear in the Saginaw trans wasn't as low a ratio as the original Muncie. Ive since learned there are rings on the front inpuit shaft that can be used to identify the saginaw gear ratios. For all the work it wasn't that much better. The old Muncie if you shift to second before stopping and still have it in second gear when stopped it will easily drop into first gear without any grinding.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #11
kitsbeach

Quote:
I converted a 66 pk from the early Muncie to a later full syncro Saginaw. I had to change the bellhousing for one with a larger diameter center hole for the Saginaw front bearing retainer. The rear outpuit was fine splined so the rear yoke needed changed. The original trans was short tailshaft. so the driveshaft was shortened. I used 69 shift rods but they where too short. so I cut them in two. they are hollow. I used steel rods that fit inside to lengthen them. After I converted I found first gear in the Saginaw trans wasn't as low a ratio as the original Muncie. Ive since learned there are rings on the front inpuit shaft that can be used to identify the saginaw gear ratios. For all the work it wasn't that much better. The old Muncie if you shift to second before stopping and still have it in second gear when stopped it will easily drop into first gear without any grinding.
Hey thanks old truck man that's why I like this site so much. Guys like you that have done it before.

My truck has the 4-speed in it now and I want to take it out before I do carpets. So I have the entire 69 set up including bellhousing and figure its worth swapping out the 4-speed to get syncro'd first gear while I am at it.

Just need the shift rods.!

And the slip yoke but those are easy to find. Truck has the 3-speed driveshaft with a 4-speed end on it and no slip joint right now. Not a good set-up.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
Old Truck Man

The 66 GMC 1/2 ton Zombie truck that is my daily driver has a factory granny 4 speed. I wouldn't trade it for a three speed. I reciently sold a 65 half ton that we bought from the original owner. we owned it about 15 years, rust free good running truck. However the badly worn collum shift was very tricky. It took a expert to shift it. Its kinda rare to find a factory 4 speed 1/2 ton. Most conversions the floor pan is hacked up and the driveshaft cobbled together. The home brew jobs usually vibrate and are hard on U joints and the bearings & seals on the trans & diff. Now there are lots of different versions of shift arms that bolt to the side cover of a Saginaw trans. You will need the correct ones for your application.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #13
kitsbeach

Tough call because as you say the 4-speed is in there and running good but I have the old nostalgia for the three on the tree.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #14
Arrington01

I have shift rods if your interested in them.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:54 AM   #15
kitsbeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrington01 View Post
I have shift rods if your interested in them.
I am interested. Are they definitely out of a six cylinder with saginaw.? Are you able to post a picture up with a tape measure idea of how long they are.?
Old 06-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #16
kitsbeach

Here is a pic of a set from a six cyl with a three speed saginaw that I'm buying from one of the members (thanks Jason).

Thought I'd post the picture here so that others could compare if they need to.

I won't get around to swapping the three speed back in for a few weeks but when I do I'll post up any progress or lessons learned.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #17
Arrington01

No problem. I am glad I could help you. I have a 3spd column to if you need one. Came out of a real low mileage truck. Thanks Jason