The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2014, 11:16 PM   #1
Malice

4wd to 2wd?

I posted this in the wrong section so I'm going to re post.

I am wondering if I buy a truck that has the 6.2l and the 6l80e trans but is a 4wd. What do you have to do to convert it to 2wd for my 3100 chevy.

Been looking at salvaged auction vehicles.
Malice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 4wd to 2wd?

If I hadn't seen your previous posts I'd think this was posted by a troll sent here by a rat rod board or some other group to get his creds for posting an off the wall post.

First off the 4x4 has a solid axle under it with leaf springs so you have to pull all of that out and buy a complete front suspension for a two wheel drive truck including steering box.

Then you have to unbolt the transfer from the transmission and have the transmission completely taken apart to swap the tail shaft for a two wheel drive tail shaft and have the extension housing for a two wheel drive put on it.

You might recover some money from selling the front axle and transfer but that is still a lot of work and expense just to change the 4x into 2x and you haven't even started cobbling it together with the AD body yet to build what is going to end up being less than a stellar build.

Face it, there are just too many ways to upgrade your chassis or to get a chassis that works right under that truck without going through all that just because that truck happens to be available in your area for a friendly price.

Now if you were thinking about putting a cab like this 1-1/2 ton

on it and running a flatbed on the back and leaving it 4x4 you might have something as the fenders would work with the 4x4 setup and it might make a usable truck for a reasonable investment.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
Malice

Thanks for the response. The chassis and suspension is going to be an Art Morrison.
So i'm not modifying an original chassis. However since I have never done this yet I don't know what it all takes. It will be a slightly bigger hump for the transmission but it's not that much bigger than a 4l60e. Should be fine....? (That's why I'm here asking questions.)

you said to take the tail shaft for a two wheel drive tail shaft and have the extension housing for a two wheel drive put on it. From a guy who isn't a transmission expert doesn't sound like a whole lot.... I am probably just making harder than it needs to be.

I have another option of a t56 trans. My wife just wanted an automatic so she can drive it. I like the 6 speed though. Having a hard time talking myself into a 4l60e.

Hopefully I didn't ramble to much. Just figured someone here has maybe gone through this same process or looked at the same option. this very well could be more work than it's worth.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
mvitale27

Swapping the tailshaft and extension housing requires completely emptying the case of the transmission including all planetary gear sets, clutches, drums, etc. You will need special tools for all the various snap rings and spring packs. I have rebuilt 5 700r4/4l60's. I can get through a trans pretty quickly, but if this were me I would hold out for a 2wd trans.

Matt's 3/4T 4X4 Build
mvitale27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
Malice

Good to know. Thanks

I've been trying to get creative and not break the bank.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #6
mr48chev

OK, now the light comes on. 6.2 liter to me means that diesel clunker that that they had for years.

No problem on the "GAS" 6.2 as far as the engine goes but swapping pieces around in the trans to convert it to two wheel drive might negate that savings. Figure it is going to cost the same as rebuilding the trans plus the output shaft and tail shaft housing. A turbo 350 would be easy to do but I'd want to have a pro do that trans if it were me.

lately I've see so many questions on off the wall chassis swaps around the net that my brain doesn't start thinking about a late model 6.2 gas engine and matching trans. Should have read that question a lot closer or gone back and read your previous posts to figure it out.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 06-25-2014 at 02:19 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
Malice

I should of probably stated the question better. I've been looking at the l92. 6.2l out of the 07 - 09 Tahoes, pickups, denali, and escalade. Figured it would be a good platform to start with.