The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
JohnKimble

Angle grinder...die grinder? What do I need?

I'm looking to start stripping the paint on my truck and was planning on picking up a 4 1/2" angle grinder and some clean and strip discs. I'm not sure if an angle grinder is my best option, or if a pneumatic die grinder or disc sander would work just as well.

I really don't know a lot about any of the above, I just started to debate getting a pneumatic tool as I just got a 60 gallon compressor. Do die grinders take specific bits or will discs made for an angle grinder work in a die grinder?
JohnKimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
bs46488

Re: Angle grinder...die grinder? What do I need?

John,

I started to strip the paint off a project using a pneumatic DA. About 30 mins into the sanding on the roof, I had maybe about 1' X 1' down to bare metal. It was taking too long.

I went down to my local parts store and bought some Aircraft Paint Stripper. After about 30 mins, I had the entire roof, 1 door and most of a quarter panel stripped. I then put the finishing touches and details on the bare metal with my DA.

But to answer your question....you need all of the tools listed above (eventually). The big thing to watch for is speed or RPM. Sure an angle grinder will strip paint, but the high rpm's will heat up the sheetmetal, which could potentially warp your panels.

What part of CA are you in?

Last edited by bs46488; 07-08-2014 at 02:35 PM.
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
JohnKimble

Yeah I figured the DA would take too long. But the local home depot has 4" 3M "clean and strip" discs with a shaft that appeared would fit in a die grinder (but said it was for an angle grinder), and I'm not sure if it would be compatible.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
Kim57

You can get the clean and strip discs for the 4-1/2" angle. The generate very little heat so warping metal is not a problem. grinders
You can also get them with a velcro backing and get pad that fits the angle grinder.
Kim
Old 07-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
ssxty8

Whatever tool you use, make sure you don't heat the metal too much, or you'll have problems. If it's old paint, in an older car, the mentioned paint stripper is a great option. Just make sure you clean afterward with plenty water, and don't let it slip in crevices, where you can't wash down.
ssxty8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #6
JohnKimble

Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably be doing a combination of strip discs as well as liquid stripper.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
earl84

I haven't stripped my entire truck by any means, but have removed large amounts of paint. Those strip discs work VERY well. I got them from Harbor Freight and they were not very expensive. Higher quality ones will probably last longer, but they did last a good long time. They didn't generate much heat if you kept them moving. Heck, even if you didn't I think you'd have to really apply some pressure to get it hot enough to warp anything.

Do yourself a favor, and save your health, no matter what you use. Get a REAL mask, not the paper filter mask things. And if you use the chemical stripper, you HAVE to get filters appropriate for chemicals.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #8
cableguy0

Be very careful with aircraft stripper. You have to make 100% sure you neutralize it and get ALL of it off. The stripper will continue to eat away at the metal and ruin any future paint or body work. Any panel stripped chemically should be completely stripped of any bolt ons or molding especially stuff where the liquid can get behind and you cant get all of the stripper out. Glass should be removed as well. Just trying to save you some giant headaches.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote