The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
JDelSo14

Opinions!!

Hey everyone, I am looking into buying this truck. It's a 72 c10. Engine and transmission seem fine, just needs a lot of body work. The guy is asking 3k. It should be a good fixer upper, but I'm not all that mechanically handy. Is 3k a good deal or would I be getting ripped off? Need opinions asap becuase it won't last long...
Attached Images

JDelSo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
71K20chevy

Re: Opinions!!

Rust is usually about the main determining factor when it comes to pricing. How bad is it? If the body is in the same shape all the way around as it is in the picture, 3k might not be a horrible deal.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
JDelSo14

The bed is going to need to be replaced, it's pretty rusted. The outside of the body isn't bad. Fenders need it. Frame is good.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
sKnNyPpY

If it has working A/C and power steering I would offer $2500 and fall somewhere in the middle hopefully....that's what I did for my '71. Added bonus if it already has HEI and internally regulated alternator.
2.5 CPP Spindle, 1" CPP Drop Spring, CPP Front and Rear Sway Bars/DJM Flip, new General Spring KC 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools 5" BS, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #5
LSUMurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKnNyPpY View Post
If it has working A/C and power steering I would offer $2500 and fall somewhere in the middle hopefully....that's what I did for my '71. Added bonus if it already has HEI and internally regulated alternator.
I second this.

Rust is always going to have to be dealt with unless you buy one already restored. Check the roof rail and along the windshield at the top. Pull the windshield gasket back a little and look for rust. Some of the harder to fix rust is from the roof.

Also, a lot will be determined on if you want to become mechanically inclined. It involves a lot of work to restore one of these, but you can learn as you go.

If your life is a joke, it appears death will be your punchline.
LSUMurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Grumpy old man

Your in Mass ,Their all going to be high priced and rusty .Is it rusted thru or just rusty ? Can you drive it home ? auto or manual ? has it be messed with or is it stock ? long bed ?
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
CUSTOM/10

Here's another one you could check out, and it's in Mass. Same money too.

Gary

http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/4567540669.html

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
JDelSo14

The AC works and has power steering. It drives, starts on the first turn. Automatic. I could drive it home.
The frame is good. Nothing is totally rusted through except the bed. The bed corner panel frame is fine, it's the actual bed/mounting that is rusted the worse. It's a long bed. The previous owner put 4k in it to make sure it passed inspection.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #9
LSUMurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDelSo14 View Post
The AC works and has power steering. It drives, starts on the first turn. Automatic. I could drive it home.
The frame is good. Nothing is totally rusted through except the bed. The bed corner panel frame is fine, it's the actual bed/mounting that is rusted the worse. It's a long bed. The previous owner put 4k in it to make sure it passed inspection.
If the cab is rust free, the drivetrain is reliable, and the truck is safe, I think $3000 is fairly reasonable especially as these trucks are going up in price every day. I would still offer $2300-2500 and see if you can't get it for a little cheaper. It never hurts to haggle a little.

I paid just under $2000 for mine two years ago and I have some significant rust to deal with and no a/c, p/s, or p/b.

If your life is a joke, it appears death will be your punchline.
LSUMurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
michael bustamante

Go 2500 cash. Cash is hard to say no to. A good longbed shouldnt be hard to find but youll probably have to go out of state to get it. Hows the tailgate?
Old 07-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #11
JDelSo14

Thanks for all the input guys. Tailgate is decent, some rust.
And theres no way I'd pay 3k, like I said I'm not mechanically inclined, but I can haggle with the best of them.
I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #12
Rochlow

If that truck has been in New England all it's life and you have limited skills, walk away.

There is no way that truck has no rust or little. Run you hand under the front of the lower passenger fender, rockers and cab corners. I sure they all have some rust repair needed. Then crawl under the passenger side bumper and see if the inner fender and radiator support have rotted through.

I would also lift the carpet and check the firewall/cab seam along with the bottoms of kick panels. The seam between the firewall and lower cowl seem to have issues too.

These are all problems I had with my "rust free" truck that had been in New England all it's life (I have the protecto plate showing it was bought new in New Hampshire).