The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #1
mach92bill

Inline 6 engine swap

Posted this in engines and drivetrain, but no responses. My project is a 1954 Chev pickup. I have been offered an engine from a 1955 2nd gen. Wondering if there's any implications regarding front engine mounts. Specifically, I believe the '55 has mounts on the front sides of the engine, while the '54s mount seems to bolt to the block un der the timing chain cover. If indeed it is bolted in that manner, is it feasible to attach the mount to the '55 engine. Thanks.
mach92bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
wolffcub

Re: Inline 6 engine swap

I have a 55 and its mounted in a 49 chassis and im using the mount under the timing cover.
wolffcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
tinyjaime

Re: Inline 6 engine swap

its as simple as what wolfcub said. If you do not have the holes in the front motor plate cover just drill them in. The only difference is you have to use the clutch housing from your truck I thing the clutch housing from the 55.2 mounting to the engine is the same but the mounting to the cross member is different. (clutch housing rear angle mounts vs flat mounts) The 1962 235 motor I bought was mounted in an AD truck using the front plate motor mounts. I was going to mount the 1962 motor in my taskforce however it did not have the side bosses for the birdleg type mounts. So I was going to drill out the cross member and install the AD mount on my cross member. Changed my mind and used the 1962 for parts and rebuilt my original motor.
tinyjaime is offline   Reply With Quote