The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2014, 12:31 AM   #1
rhm63

Oil pan leak question

Hello all. I have been lurking around this forum for about a year. I have found many answers, but I finally have a problem that the search button hasn't been able to answer.

I have my grandfather's 1963 C10 pickup with a 230. (I think). It was rebuilt in the late 80's and he claims that is the "big 6" but it is not a 292. Maybe converted to a 250?

But back to the question at hand. I have it running smooth. But there is an oil leak from the front of the oil pan. The gasket was replaced with the rebuild, and appears to be in good shape. But it leaks from a bolt hole with no bolt. From my shop manual it appears that there should be bolts in these holes, but I dont have any. See the pictures. You can kind of see (by the shinyness of the oil) the hole that the oil is leaking from.

Should I have bolts there? There are not holes in the gasket. Should I cut them and add bolts? Can Hi-temp silicone seal this? I really dont want to have to replace the entire oil pan gasket. But I dont want to half ass it either. I really need some advice on this one. It is almost the only thing keeping it from driving.

Thanks
Attached Images

rhm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:44 AM   #2
smackhead61

Re: Oil pan leak question

rhm63,

Just replaced the oil pan gasket on my 66 that has a 250/6 cyl. The gasket set from O'Reilly's was a 4 piece just like in the drawing from the manual. However the front rubber gasket (new) did not have holes in it like the original gasket did and like the pan does. I used a high temp, oil resistant sealant and punched holes through the new rubber gasket after setting it in place, hope it holds well cause I don't want to do that again for awhile. I know that doesn't answer your question but did want to point out that the new gasket sets don't have preformed holes in the front pan portion which explains why yours doesn't have bolts after the rebuild. Thanks and good luck!
smackhead61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:13 AM   #3
ACK

I replaced the oil pan gasket last year, as I recall, that section of the gasket had rubber spikes on it that went into the holes, there were no screws to install. I believe it was a redesign to prevent the gasket from moving around when putting the pan back on. If you look up the appropriate Felpro gasket, it won't have holes on that section.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
T2vigil

ACK has the answer. You get the spikes started and pull through from the outside of the pan until they snap in or bottom out.
T2vigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Dillon Rock

I just re did all my seals and the front new seal is holding. Maybe it was put in upside down or no rtv sealer used. I used a slight amount on the smooth side and torqued to spec. Try a new seal or the hole idea said up above in the previous comments.