The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Anyone ever rent a storage container?

I want to really overhaul my garage this spring. The problem is, where to put all my tools, supplies, and truck parts in the meantime? I am thinking about renting a storage container, one of those big metal jobs, since I have quite a large and paved driveway. That way my garage will be clear for the rewiring and shelf building and I can move around with ease instead of needing to be an acrobat.

Has anyone ever rented one of those? How did the process of renting go? What was the cost?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
flashed

Re: Anyone ever rent a storage container?

I bought a 20 ft shipping container for permanent storage at my house instead of renting one ,$1500 + $300 for delivery .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:54 PM   #3
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

A friend of mine ordered one and it cost him about the same as storage fees for a 1 car garage at the place I was renting. $85 I believe he was paying.
I'll have him chime in since he's a member here.
Mike
Cash3481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #4
DUD2STUD

I rent them out here in california. I rent 20' for $95 and 40' for $110. Renting wise I'm not to much help to you but if you rent the shipping style container make sure the have a lock box on it. Don't rely on the handle lock alone. The lock box doesn't make it impossible to break into but it sure slows them down.
DUD2STUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I bought a 20 ft shipping container for permanent storage at my house instead of renting one ,$1500 + $300 for delivery .
Where can you buy these? A while back I had seen someone buy 4 and use it to make a shop/out building. Apparently because they can be stacked under load, putting them on top of each other allowed him a "second floor" loft.

I thought it would be cool to buy a couple like those preppers do, and use it for underground off-the-radar auto storage and places like Oklahoma where tornado/hail/wind damage could wreck a wooden barn.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
flashed

I bought mine through a dealer on craigslist .
Old 05-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
JointTech

i see those preppers burying them and cringe. They are designed for massive amounts of top and bottom load. NOT side load that 1000's of pounds of dirt caving in willbe. I suspect a lot of preppers will be buried when the SHTF.

I saw a guy building a concrete box around the container but if you go that far why even use a container.

In long beach there are a few yards with thousands of containers sitting there empty for sale. Stacked probably 20 or 30 high. Crazy looking yard.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post
i see those preppers burying them and cringe. They are designed for massive amounts of top and bottom load. NOT side load that 1000's of pounds of dirt caving in willbe. I suspect a lot of preppers will be buried when the SHTF.

I saw a guy building a concrete box around the container but if you go that far why even use a container.

In long beach there are a few yards with thousands of containers sitting there empty for sale. Stacked probably 20 or 30 high. Crazy looking yard.
Interesting you mention this; I see them cut holes in them to make doors and stuff, and kinda wondered how the didn't eff the whole integrity of doing that underground.

Still for what they cost, you can do a ton with them.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
Daddy'O

I would think you could easily reinforce the side walls with steel purlins to counter any side forces. What I would be more concerned about is how to effectively seal the outer structure to protect it from corrosion once burried in the ground.

Our Shop Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=620966
'55 Wagon Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689157
1971 Cheyenne Super Ochre/White LWB 350 Auto - my son's truck "Nancy"
1972 GMC K2500 Custom 4X4 Olive LWB 400 SB 4-speed -"Greenie" - Restoration to begin after the '55
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
Daddy'O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #10
flashed

Google shipping container buildings and you will be amazed at what they can do with them ,dont think Id care to bury one though.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:54 AM   #11
In The Ten Ring

If I had the money and property to bury a storage container (or 10 of them) I would do so. Just because I could.

I have always been interested in underground houses though, especially for tornado protection and heating and cooling benefits. I don't that kind of money right now.

I've got to get my truck running first before I can even think of clearing out the garage and ripping out the ceiling. I may just move the truck outside then move everything out of the way and tear out the ceiling in parts...just move the stuff back and around as I go.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #12
DUD2STUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Interesting you mention this; I see them cut holes in them to make doors and stuff, and kinda wondered how the didn't eff the whole integrity of doing that underground.

Still for what they cost, you can do a ton with them.
I used to install doors in shipping containers. They have a post in the corners and box tubing frame. You can take a whole side panel out with no problem. You can stack a lot of other containers on top as long as the weight is spread out on each corner. The walls on the other hand do not have any reinforcing the will crush in very easy.
DUD2STUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #13
Tinkermc

C/L here or in Richmond, va have them 4 sale and delivery
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #14
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Heck, they have houses made out of them! You can blow insulation in them, run wiring, stack them, cut doors and windows ( large ones) in them. They are pretty cheap option

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:10 PM   #15
seattle gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post

I load containers and trailers for a living at the port of seattle. We load 6,000 gallons of oil in flexible bags into 20' shipping containers (like a box of wine) @ 44,000lbs of product. If the container is less then five years old and the coregated steel is in good shape they can more then handle the side load. less than five years old with no structual damage to the coregated steel, thats the mainly the criteria i look for when looking and shipping containers with flexitanks inside.

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500HD Classic
seattle gmc is offline   Reply With Quote