The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2014, 10:15 PM   #1
luvbowties

Smile what space-saver for '71-up Chevrolet C10

Looking for a small spare for my pickup with a 1971 front end, and need to know what to ask for when calling junk yards.

I feel sure there were some donuts made, like for bigger GM sedans. Can recall a 1984 Regency--last year for rwd--carried like a 15-inch doughnut as the spare for the car which had 14-inch wheels/tires on it when we bo't it new.

Just found a 16-inch donut with a dual bolt pattern within tolerable driving distance, but the elder gentleman has no idea what it fits. Said he bo't it a while back for a 'hopeful' spare for his 200??? Jeep, but calipers blocked it from even getting the lug-holes to the lug-bolts. [No chance in getting him to measure distances to determine its pattern.]

I'm hoping someone on here knows if GM made such dual-bolt patterns with one of them being 5 on 5" that will clear our calipers?

Thanks,
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
WIDESIDE72

Re: what space-saver for '71-up Chevrolet C10

I believe the one I have came from an Chevy Astro/ GMC van.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
see ten
WTB this ad

My 68 cadillac is 5x5... The previous owner had put a dual pattern doughnut/space saver in the trunk... no idea what it came from though. I'm curious about this as well. I'd like to put one behind the seat of my 72 pickup.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
WIDESIDE72

Mine won't fit behind the seat without doing some sheetmetal mods. It's a little shorter than the rear window, but too tall to go all the way against the back wall of the cab. It hits the edge of the double wall part of the cab. Add to this issue the fact that I will be installing factory bucket seats soon (along with fixed truck style passenger side brackets. I am wondering about using blazer brackets so I can get the spare out (?)
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
luvbowties

Smile Re: what space-saver for '71-up Chevrolet C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
I believe the one I have came from an Chevy Astro/ GMC van.

Thx for reply, WS72. I looked up Astro vans, & they used 16" spares thru about 2003, and then went to 17" spares. Interchange shows the newer/bigger ones will fit the older ones, and also fit the same list of CARS[all way back to 1980] that are shown as compatible with the 16s. I found NO interchange for trucks, tho'.

Do u recall if yours is a 16" or a 17"? The 16" will be my slight preference, being a tad smaller. Will need to ensure they will clear my calipers before I buy, tho'.
Thanks a lot.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote