The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2014, 03:56 PM   #1
VAPhil

'72 C-10 AC Compressor Clutch smoking. Help!!

Hey everyone,

I'm reading a lot of mixed advice on troubleshooting a compressor problem. I bought the truck a few months ago. Looks like original compressor. During idle, pulley spins & stops occasionally. Recently, when turning the ac on, it squeals loudly. Took the truck home today and i had smoke coming from the openings on the pulley hub front. Air stays cool, never been "cold."

Is this a seizing of the clutch? Low on oil? (Don't know if its R12. Whats that even mean?) Can I repair this myself? i'm relatively ac stupid.
Attached Images

VAPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona
Re: '72 C-10 AC Compressor Clutch smoking. Help!!

Sounds like your compressor is finally giving up and getting ready to seize. Might be a worn clutch as well. Not sure about the replacement of that particular pump, but R-12 is a freon gas that was outlawed by our EPA freinds years ago. Most people are forced into converting over to the newer, friendlier R-134 gas, but to make that change correctly in an older system usually requires modifications to the entire system such as filters, orings, quench valve etc so the system will operate as efficently as possible.
I am sure the more qualified experts here will give you a more difinative answer.
Good luck.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: '72 C-10 AC Compressor Clutch smoking. Help!!

The compressor sounds as if it's fixing to stop all together. I would suggest a new style unless your into a orginal look. Those older compressor can have the clutch rebuilt but I never had any luck with them. I have like 4 of them in a pile to take to the metal guy some day.
R-12 is the old Freon that is very expensive to buy now, I would swap it to 134-A and get it done by a AC shop.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote