The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
Former member Yoder213

Something other than skyjacker, pro-comp, and tough country

I've been searching for how I want to get 37" tires under my truck, and I've read all the talk on here and elsewhere about how stiff they all are. Well this weekend I made it down to BAT fabrication in Chico CA. and let me tell you, what he's done with DEAVER springs is something I have to share

http://www.batfaboffroad.com/

I got to see the newest work on the 86 jimmy they have there. He got the jimmy with a skyjacker lift (that's the photos with the blocks and steering stabilizers) and I was having trouble going over a cinder block with 47" tires.

He had DEAVER set up some spring packs (in the model that he helped designed for rock crawling his yota's) for the jimmy, 4" lift in front, 6" lift in the rear. This setup cleared the 47's (with considerable amount of trimming). and LOWERED the rig 4" from where the skyjacker lift had it.

and any of the tires could be raised 45" off the ground with the other three still touching.

All the shops in Redding CA are telling me I need an 8" skyjacker or tough country lift to get 37" tires under my 70 k20 longbed, laughed at my concerns about lifting with blocks, and all around made me feel that because I wasn't lifting a new truck, I wasn't worth there time.

I'm so glad I considered all the poor reviews of the lift springs available for us. and I hope what I've learned can be of help to those who want to feel cozy about there rig when you have to push the comfort zone.
check out BAT FAB OFFROAD's BATtle gear leaf springs,
Former member Yoder213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
86454k30

Re: Something other than skyjacker, pro-comp, and tough country

There are a lot of guys running custom springs and even working with the spring manufactures to customize their own setup, like off road design for instance does similar things.

In response to everyone telling you 8" lift to fit 37's is fairly accurate considering "most" people aren't willing to cut their truck to fit tires. To be honest you probably don't need any lift if you are willing to cut enough. It is all a matter of what is acceptable to you.
86454k30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
Former member Yoder213

That's why I posted it here in 4x4, thinking it most appropriate.

and I'm sure it can be arranged so that cutting isn't necessary... in most cases.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

A more flexy spring would require more body trimming at a given height than a stiffer spring. 8"lift is required to run 37s. Those guys you talked to are bozos. It was wise to walk away. I've seen one,maybe two, complaints about Tuff Country EZ-Rides. I certainly have none. But,I've been driving solid axle 4wds all my life with IFS being a sweet modern way to make a 4wd ride soft enough for people who never drove 4wds. I guess if you need to drive over boulders you'd want springs with more flex. Then again,there are better suspension designs that leaf springs if it's flex that you are after and you have money to burn. But too much flex under a heavy truck driven on the road is not a good thing. That's what I always liked bout the ride of a 4wd compared to a 2wd,you didn't get all the body roll. Just the good solid feel of driving a real truck

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
Former member Yoder213

I like what you had to say Special K, and always have enjoyed your thorough knowledge and neutral, informative comments.

I do go off road and if a boulders the only thing keeping me from an alpine pond or stream, beautiful views and that good feeling you get when there's no light pollution and theres billions of visible stars. then I want to get past it.

But my biggest influence as to the 37" tires is they are 1800 dollars cheaper for a set than the size I have now... 33's. which fit just fine. I don't see why for 4 more inches of tire I need 8" of lift vs 4. If I can get away with an inch body puck then why not. if I need to trim the fender an inch or two, or pound it with a hammer, why not. while I'm fairly opposed to the idea, the price of tires outweighs a completely stock look for me and what I want to do with the truck. its likely to accrue some dents and dings anyways in the woods, and if I can maneuver better then I might keep the ugly ones at bay.

Yes flexy means less stable under load or in high winds on the highway, I'm looking into overloads and sway bars with quick disconnects.

of course if there's someone with some fenders and bed cut up already, I could trade mine out, knowing there's quite a few people desiring the stock look
Old 09-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
jeffahart

I have cut fenders. At first I hated it, but now I'm thinking about bastardizing a rear bumper into a winch bumper that wraps under the cut a bit. I had a rear bumper used as a front on an old Ford once. I loved it as a scaffold to work in engine bay. Plus, obviously it turns you into a bit of a bulldozer. Here's a pic of the cut fenders. I've never really used my 4x4 trucks to do hard off roading. I always used them to get me and my gear to a camping location within reasonable terrain without getting stuck. All my trucks see mostly street use. I buy dirt bikes and such for hardcore thrashing. That said; I hate the skyjacker soft rides I have in front of my truck = Seesaw. I should have gotten HD springs. Now I'm looking at putting in heavy bumper and winch. The soft rides are on borrowed time.

Oh, and one more edit. That picture is taken at the mall parking lot!!!! Haahahahah
Attached Images

jeffahart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
Former member Yoder213

jeffahart that's about what I picture in my mind for cutting my fenders. I also enjoyed reading your axle swap. what size tires are you riding on in that picture?
Old 09-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
jeffahart

285/70R17 - Hankook M-RT03
jeffahart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:32 PM   #9
MTCK

Meh I thought the Tuff Country springs flexed just fine and rode great. I may look for some custom springs when I lift my 3+3 but that's just because the loaded weight will be so high.
Attached Images

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Let me get this straight, just because they are using custom Deaver springs at 4" and 6" heights it will allow 37's when every other spring needed to clear those tires are 8"? I've heard a lot about Deavers and how flexy they are, but something isn't adding up with that statement.

A 4" lift spring is 4" no mater who builds it. The difference is in construction and spring rate but that's about it. If a Deaver spring lifts it higher, then it can't be a 4" spring. 37's can fit with 4" of lift with some creative cutting of the body. But it's going to take a lot of cutting.

Here's an alternative.. Why not bump up from 33's to 35's? 4" of lift will clear them. I do similar wheeling, mountain runs and such and haven't needed anything bigger. Just a thought.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #11
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Looking at the Jimmy on the site listed in the first post, they did a lot more than just 4" springs. It's looking like they did their own 52" spring swap up front by the modified front spring mounts that are now in front of the core support mounts. Add to that some serious amount of sheetmetal cutting front and rear on top of a 2" body lift.

So yeah the deavers flex like mad and the 46" Micky's require a lot more trimming than 37"s would but to be able to use that kind of flex you'll need clearance.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote