The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
Senorx

Factory Steelies

What was the factory backspacing on the 15x6 white steelies? I found this picture on the interweb of a Kelsey-Hayes/Motor Wheel 15x6 Steelie. It appears the backspacing was 3 1/2 inches with a 3 1/2 center hole. I also found a Kelsey-Hayes 15x8 Steelie (the unicorn of wheels) and those appear to have a 3 7/8 backspacing.

I know some of you have actual stamped and verified Kelsey-Hayes steelies. Can anybody verify the backspacing? We can put this baby to bed and this information will be forever documented and archived on this forum for future curious minds like mine.

BTW, the company where I found the pics claims to have stamped and verified Kelsey-Hayes wheels. If so, I'm sure they are a small fortune. I will attempt to contact them and get a price in order to satisfy my curiosity.

Last edited by Senorx; 09-19-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Senorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
asolde

Re: Factory Steelies

Stamp by valve stem is K 12 23 C1 Stamp by lug nuts K12 C GM. This wheel is suppose to be a factory stock wheel for my Blazer a 15x6.
Attached Images

asolde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Senorx

Awesome! Appreciate the reference pics. It appears those are the real deal. The "K" stamp is Kelsey-Hayes according to my research. I'm guessing these are on your 72 with front disk brakes? Research indicates the 4 numb steelies clear the front 71-72 disk brakes. It's looking like factory backspacing was 4 inches.

Attempted to decode your wheels from information found on the interweb. Wheel gurus please correct if inaccurate.

K - manufacturer (Kelsey-Hayes)
1 - manufacturing plant (Romulus, MI)
Y - last digit of year (1972)
M - one or two digit month (1 thorugh 12) for month of year (Febuary)?????
D - one or two digit day (1 through 31) of month (3rd)??????
AZ - wheel application ( vehicle it was used on)

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on this subject. Just trying to put together all the information I'm finding on the net along with everybody's feedback into one information packed thread.

Last edited by Senorx; 09-19-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
Senorx

Measured my backspacing on the 15x6 steelies on my truck and it is 3 1/2 inches. I'm thinking I should be good to go running a 31x10.50 without any rubbing issues, correct? Since my steelies are deeper than a 4 inch backspacing by half an inch.