The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
klutz51

aftermarket heaters

has anyone used any aftermarket heaters besides vintage air? found some that are pretty reasonable in price and I only want a heater without a/c. the ones I have looked at are really small and seem like they would do just fine in a small cab hooked up to defrost. if possible some pictures thanks
klutz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: aftermarket heaters

Stock Chevy truck and auto heating cores are only about 4x8x2 inches with a pretty small fan. Most add-on heaters were just a box with the core, fan and flaps to direct air. I would look for one that was more rectangular horizontally so it tucks up under the dash a little. I remember my grandmother getting on me as a kid for kicking the box that hung under the dash in her Willys Wagon. Googling "truck cab heater" turns up a bunch. Ideally you would want one with round hose connections for the defront vents and your choice of flappers for floor or front discharge.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Stepside Jim

I installed one from classic parts. You get the complete heater along with duct hose and the connectors to mount up to the defrost outlets under the dash. Like everything else I had to do some tweeking to get the fit I wanted but it should do the job well.

I mentioned before, the heater hoses will not work with the battery in the stock location, they are too high.

I also wanted mine as far up into the dash as I could, I shortened the glove box to do this.
Pics.
Attached Images

Stepside Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
lowrodderchev

I was looking at one of those but I don't want to lose my glove box that much. anyone running anything else? winters coming and aint about to drive with foggy windows. I have my stock standard heater but I know it aint cheap to fix the leaky core
Old 10-17-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
klutz51

I have made the decision to mount mine behind the seat and run ducts to the defrost vents and use the other two vents for the cab. I bought mine off e bay for cheap, and it is a little bigger than i wanted but after seeing a episode of *****en Rides, they mounted a/c and heater in the rear of a 4 door Plymouth and it worked and looked awesome. Besides I have my fuse block in my glove box. Hope this helps.
klutz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #6
OrrieG

Did you route the defrost vents through a center console or?? I would think that if they go any distance the heat would discipate and all you would get is cold air?
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
lowrodderchev

What are you running orrieG?
Old 10-17-2014, 11:50 PM   #8
spreader

Same Classic trk Parts heater as Stepside Jim used. This is in my 48GMC. Put mine in the middle as you can see. I have bucket seats so it is not in the way of any passengers, especially any "little OrrieG's". Plus I want my share of the heat!!. I would think that both windshields will get equal defroggin also.