The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2014, 11:29 PM   #1
gearhead2069

Cleaning up the frame...

Hey guys,

I need some advice from some of you with much more experience than I. I am trying to pull all the old suspension brackets and crossmembers off of the frame of a 51 3100. The rivets they used to hold all these things together are KILLING ME! My current mode of action is grinding the heads of the rivet with a 5 inch cut disk than just beating the piss out of it with the BFH and a punch. They are still kicking my butt! I have tried to drill them out by stepping up my bits from smallest to largest and they are actually chewing through my bits... Crazy! It's almost as if Chevrolet didn't want it to come apart or something!

Do any of you have any suggestions for saving both my time and fingers?
gearhead2069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:10 AM   #2
wolffcub

Re: Cleaning up the frame...

I drilled mine out and it only took a minute or so a rivet. Make sure you have good bits to start with. Don't start too small as your just wasting time. Using a 1/8" bit is small enough to start with. Ensure you use cutting fluid every 20 seconds or so. just drill deep enough to just go below the half way point. Step up to a larger bit that is still smaller than the rivet shaft itself. I think 1/4" rings a bell. Then use a drift punch that bottoms out in the hole. One hit with a hammer and they fall right out.

If you use a punch that is too tapered or does not bottom out your actually putting outward force on the rivet making it harder to hit out.

If it aint broke I still try to fix it!
wolffcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:12 AM   #3
wolffcub

Oh and don't grind off the head. Just use a punch to make a indent to set your bit. By drilling the last hole almost the same diameter as the rivet shaft the head will actually just bust off.

If it aint broke I still try to fix it!
wolffcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:19 AM   #4
gearhead2069

Thank you. I will definitely give it a shot.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #5
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

I cut the heads off and use an air hammer to punch them out

53 buick special - straight 8 sled - blow through turbo
47 gmc - flatbed hot rod build
99 ford econoline e350 - 4x4 converted family roadtrip/overlanding rig AKA 'Monstervan' AKA 'Daddy-Van'
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:33 PM   #6
Ratpin

Removed dozens while building my IH. International builds them to last. My method was grinding an X in the head from above, then shearing it off in 4 pieces. After that punching them out with the air chisel.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:41 PM   #7
Rednek13x

Grind head off flush, use professional air hammer. I tired the cheaper ones, all it did was make noise and shake the dirt off the frame. You need to use a professional one like mac/snap on/matco or other professional grade air hammers, one quick pull of the trigger and its already out. Good luck!

Last edited by Rednek13x; 10-22-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Rednek13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
mphudak

Yep...a task that absolutely sucks. I did a variety of things, 1- cutoff wheel/grinder til flush, pounded out, 2- ground, drill and hammered and 3- drilled then hammered out. "Easiest" for me seemed center punch, drilling a pilot, then going up to a bit just under the size of the hole in the frame, then one large enough to drill the head off the rivet. Rivet popped out w/ease with a hammer/punch. Drilling allows the pressure of the rivet to be relieved enought to hammer out. Haven't tried a good air chisel/hammer but have to imagine it would of made the job much easier. Was "fun" 18 yrs ago on my '57...i dreaded doing it again when I got my '55 frame.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
Spblack

I cut a "X" pattern into the rivet head with a cutting wheel and used a chisel. it was pretty easy. Lot less work than other methods I tried.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=606412

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7560906
Spblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #10
gearhead2069

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphudak View Post
Yep...a task that absolutely sucks. I did a variety of things, 1- cutoff wheel/grinder til flush, pounded out, 2- ground, drill and hammered and 3- drilled then hammered out. "Easiest" for me seemed center punch, drilling a pilot, then going up to a bit just under the size of the hole in the frame, then one large enough to drill the head off the rivet. Rivet popped out w/ease with a hammer/punch. Drilling allows the pressure of the rivet to be relieved enought to hammer out. Haven't tried a good air chisel/hammer but have to imagine it would of made the job much easier. Was "fun" 18 yrs ago on my '57...i dreaded doing it again when I got my '55 frame.
Yea, I'm not having fun with this at all. My forearms have been sore for days as I've been swinging a 4lbs hammer to try and make the work "easier". I believe I'll go this route as another person had recently suggested as soon as I can get the opportunity to get back in the garage. I've tried the air hammer route but I guess I have one of the lesser quality renditions of one because as someone posted earlier, "I'm doing nothing but making noise and knocking dirt off the frame". But in the spirit of keeping a "glass-half-full" mentality, I guess that will mean less time with the media blaster...
Old 10-23-2014, 11:53 PM   #11
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spblack View Post
I cut a "X" pattern into the rivet head with a cutting wheel and used a chisel. it was pretty easy. Lot less work than other methods I tried.
i second this approach but with an air chisel (great cheap tool).
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:27 AM   #12
pvienneau

I regret using a grind wheel. I did have good luck using a cut wheel and cutting an X into the head and then cold chisel it off.

1949 unmolested Indy Farm Deluxe AD
1949 Standard 4 speed http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=581544
pvienneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:54 AM   #13
Chris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1 View Post
i second this approach but with an air chisel (great cheap tool).
I'll 2nd that 2nd but with just one straight cut, air chisel and hammer. Did all mine like that takes about 3 or 4 minutes each and I have a cheap harbour freight air hammer
Chris. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:28 AM   #14
gearhead2069

Well, thank you guys for all the suggestions... Finally got the job done. I went with a modified version of all inputs. I cut the head off flush to the frame rails using a cut disk on the grinder, drilled a 1/4 hole about half way through the rivet, then with a few firm taps using a hammer and punch, they gave up the battle. Too bad I didn't seek advice prior to the initial attack... My poor punch has suffered some serious battle wounds... The back end was not originally manufactured with a flare.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:28 AM   #15
Roadkill58

Grind that mushroom off your punch before a piece flies off and sticks in your hand, or arm, or eye.

Oh no I sound like my father.

Roadkill's 69 Custom C20
Roadkill58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:58 AM   #16
gearhead2069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill58 View Post
Grind that mushroom off your punch before a piece flies off and sticks in your hand, or arm, or eye.

Oh no I sound like my father.

Haha! Your dad and mine would get along! Taken care of.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #17
Gippetto

Sounding like your father is natures way of Dad still looking out for you.
Gippetto is offline   Reply With Quote