The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
1972BlueC20

Engine Rebuild Or New Crate Engine

So If I was to either rebuild my original engine or get a new crate engine from like summit or jegs (or equivalent) ......which is better?

It would be much easier for me to just order a complete engine and have my buddy help me install it rather than have to pull the engine out and find a reputable builder then reinstall....however I'm worried about hurting the value of my truck.....does it matter if the engine is original on these trucks?

I've verified (as much as possible) that the current engine is the original engine.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!!!
Old 11-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
duallyjams

Re: Engine Rebuild Or New Crate Engine

crate engine, store the original in the corner.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

As a buyer I see original motors as a big plus. That said, as an owner a crate engine can be a great (easy) way to go. I've done both. If you rebuild the original motor skip the decking lest you loose the block codes that denote the application. Were I in your position, I'd rebuild the original. It's been there 40+ years - stick with it if you have the funds to do so.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
cdowns

if you rebuild it yerself theres no warrenty whatsoever and it is not unusual for a rebuild to fail within the first hundred miles
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
1972BlueC20

Will it hurt the value to not have the original engine? Also, I know this might be a dumb question, but if I was to buy a gm performance crate 350 like for instance one of these :

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12499529

or

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19244450

if I needed parts later, could I still go into the parts store and say I need a whatever for a 1972 C20 with 5.7 350?

These are all things that I need to consider.

Will all these carburetor crate 350 engines bolt up to my TH350 and engine mounts ect?
Old 11-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #6
asolde

If it is a original engine hang on to it. You can buy a crate cheaper than a rebuild. If it were me and it was an original engine I would overhaul it. Check out Dan Harris 281-458-7696 He can machine and build your engine. I took my engine apart brought all the parts to him, then he did all the machining, rebuilt the heads, gave me back all the parts I needed to put my engine back together. I put it all back together and had fun doing it. Good Luck Alex
asolde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #7
1972BlueC20

cool deal, thanks man for the number! I will def keep him in mind if I rebuild mine.

I really just need 1 original cylinder head. My driver side head is cracked at the front bolt hole. Otherwise my engine is good.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
That's exactly what I did after a lot of debate, and I am a an originality fanatic who restored a Duntov Award and Bloomington Gold Corvette.

I went with a GMPP 330HP/350 Deluxe crate engine for 2 reasons.
1) The original engine was the weak point of the truck since the day I bought it in 1969, and I have the receipts to prove it.
2) After all those years it was time to play with it a bit. BUT, I made no changes or additions that, in my opinion, couldn't be reversed fairly easily.

Changes other than the engine were tilt, gauges, tach, AM/FM, fancy wood in the bed, dual exhaust and H2 wheels. Everything else is as original including T-3 headlights, tower hose clamps, etc.

I have retained all original parts in case I ever sell to a purist.

The engine change presented a few challenges such as fabricating a couple A/C brackets due to the Vortec heads.

It's your truck. Make it be what you want it to be. Many of the big dollar trucks are modified. Just look at the auction results. These are not Corvettes or rare Camaros.

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 11-02-2014 at 09:20 PM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #9
truckster

You're not going to hurt the value by installing a crate engine.

Yes, it's fun to rebuild an engine and run something you have built with your own hands. HOWEVER, when you rebuild an engine it has no warranty whatsoever. Crate engines generally come with at least a 1-year warranty. The cost of rebuilding an engine can easily pass the cost of a crate engine.

Plus, you can modernize if you go with a crate engine. I'm not talking about necessarily going to the time and expense necessary to go with an LS engine, but you might consider some simple things like a 1-piece rear main seal, roller cam, and better-breathing heads.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:39 PM   #10
Coley

Smile Re: Engine Rebuild Or New Crate Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
As an original equipment (engine) fan.....I too, would go this above route.
BUT....do not dump or sell the original motor for a few bucks as many guys end up doing....keep it.
As a classic truck buyer as well, I would pay extra to buy a truck that still had the original engine available.
One day this will count more than it does right now....but for the moment, and this is what most people are about....just get a crate motor.
Be warned tho'...many/most crate engines are made in mexico....and cashing in on the warranty if anything goes south is probably 50/50.
good luck and keep us posted.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:24 AM   #11
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BlueC20 View Post
So If I was to either rebuild my original engine or get a new crate engine from like summit or jegs (or equivalent) ......which is better?

It would be much easier for me to just order a complete engine and have my buddy help me install it rather than have to pull the engine out and find a reputable builder then reinstall....however I'm worried about hurting the value of my truck.....does it matter if the engine is original on these trucks?

I've verified (as much as possible) that the current engine is the original engine.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!!!
Hope I'm not intruding if I may ask "why" or "what is wrong with it now"? 89,000 miles not that much if it's been maintained. Valve guides, camshafts and timing chains account for a lot of failure. I've seen many old engines with more miles than that resurrected with a new top end (heads, cam, timing chain).
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
Lees68GMC

GM Crate Engine Warranty is 24 Months or 50,000 miles if installed in a street legal GM Vehicle (See GM Crate Depot website Warranty specifics) it also says Parts & Labor. Some NEW GM 4 bolt 350 V8s can be had in the $1800.00 or less range, some even with Free Shipping. All points considered Who locally anywhere, with a good reputation completely rebuilds a SBC for that kinda money anymore? I'd go NEW GM, pull the original motor, garbage bag it, keep it if you think it's that important for future resale. Just my opinion.
"No matter what happens, nobody gets out alive"
Lees68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
hamjet

I was reading your other post too. if its money situation, and the engine ran well, if you go for 1 head it would have to be same cc's as one taken out. (thats the cheap approach) . the next best approach would be 2 heads. I wouldn't go for less cc's or it will raise compression and cause a tired engine to smoke. ( blow by at the rings). But now you're into around $500. to $700.00 for just heads. these guys were buying new garenteed engines for $1200. and change.(free shipping) As far as resale value, a new fresh engine with very low miles will sell better than an old tired original engine. Take a look at e-bay, the modified, lowered trucks are bringing a lot more than a high mile stock truck. Only you know whats best in your situation, we can only give some advice and cheer you on what ever you choose...
Old 11-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #14
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
if you rebuild it yerself theres no warrenty whatsoever and it is not unusual for a rebuild to fail within the first hundred miles
Any rebuild that fails in the first 100 miles was done by Mickey Mouse and his good friend Goofy.

When done correctly a rebuild can actually have a longer service life than a crate engine BUT you need to know what you are doing. Don't let some shop do it for you. A good many "engine builders" have their own Mickey and Goofy" on staff. If you must go to a shop, put that engine in a box in a corner of your garage and buy a crate motor.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #15
Hugh Mongus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees68GMC View Post
GM Crate Engine Warranty is 24 Months or 50,000 miles if installed in a street legal GM Vehicle (See GM Crate Depot website Warranty specifics) it also says Parts & Labor. Some NEW GM 4 bolt 350 V8s can be had in the $1800.00 or less range, some even with Free Shipping. All points considered Who locally anywhere, with a good reputation completely rebuilds a SBC for that kinda money anymore? I'd go NEW GM, pull the original motor, garbage bag it, keep it if you think it's that important for future resale. Just my opinion.
GM crate engines that go in these trucks only get a 12 month warranty due to the age of the vehicle. I found this out after I bought mine. I have not had any problems with it, I was simply calling GM to get true information regarding the warranty. There are many different myths out there about the crate engine warranties.

I put vortec heads and a lunati cam in mine. I have been very pleased with it.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #16
cleszkie

Something to consider with your original block is if its already been punched out to its safe limits or not yet. If it is virgin with no rebuilds/cylinder rebores, then it is worth something. If it has had one rebore with some meat left one the cylinder walls, it is worth a little less, but rebuildable. If it has already been bored out to its limit, it has limited value.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #17
colgad

If you go with a crate engine get one with a roller cam. If your going to update leave the flat tappet worries behind.
1955 Red-Cream, Chevrolet Nomad, restoration on hold
2004 Black, Corvette Z06 LS6 convertible (Rock solid Fun) 2011/2018 Power Tour
colgad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:50 AM   #18
In The Ten Ring

I'd want the original engine in any vehicle I bought.

I'm not crazy about performance though. For the longest time I wanted to dump my 250 and get a 283....but anymore...I want it original.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:45 AM   #19
texjake

Jegs has a good deal on their 350 crate engines. A 3-Year/100,000 Mile Warranty & sometimes you can get it thru eBay for only $1,260.00 and free shipping! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Pe...554709&vxp=mtr Or get it for $1,510 when they are not on sale & as usual free shipping. http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Perf...oductId=752506
Old 11-04-2014, 02:25 AM   #20
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Any rebuild that fails in the first 100 miles was done by Mickey Mouse and his good friend Goofy.

When done correctly a rebuild can actually have a longer service life than a crate engine BUT you need to know what you are doing. Don't let some shop do it for you. A good many "engine builders" have their own Mickey and Goofy" on staff. If you must go to a shop, put that engine in a box in a corner of your garage and buy a crate motor.
all you need to do is read the posts many in the engine section regarding premature failure there seems to b a lot of mickeys and goofeys around
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 11-04-2014 at 02:30 AM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:13 AM   #21
engineer_gregh

I had my original big block built last year. It was expensive; once torn down it had to be bored and my crank couldn't be turned. If I had discovered a cracked block or head it would have been even more expensive. I'm now faced with the same decision as you on another 71 I have. Its not a big block, its a 307 original engine. No way will I rebuild a 307, I'm going with either a crate 350, LS swap, or used engine. Rebuilding can become very expensive depending on the internals once you tear it down. I do agree that you should hold on to the original in case you ever decide to sell the truck.
1975 K5 4x4 full convertible

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645165

Greg Smyrna TN
engineer_gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #22
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by texjake View Post
Jegs has a good deal on their 350 crate engines. A 3-Year/100,000 Mile Warranty & sometimes you can get it thru eBay for only $1,260.00 and free shipping! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Pe...554709&vxp=mtr Or get it for $1,510 when they are not on sale & as usual free shipping. http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Perf...oductId=752506

Every couple of months JEGS runs an ebay sale on their GM crate engines. The GM part number is 10067353. It's around $1500 right now, but if you check ebay weekly and wait, you should be able to get it for at least $1300.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Pe...691433&vxp=mtr

I bought one, as did A LOT of forum member last year when they dropped the price to $1,208 SHIPPED! It's delivered TO YOUR HOUSE for that price!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=606983

Not many people care if these trucks have the original motor unless its a high option CST or Cheyenne, or big block. Even in the "mustang world" the majority of people don't care for a number matching engine unless it's a K-code or special edition (mach 1, boss, etc).
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote