The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
n33k0

Brake pedal/light adjustment

Is it possible to adjust the amount of brake pedal travel necessary to trigger the brake lights? If so, how? I have poked around the brake switch, but it's awkward location made it impossible to see what I was doing.

I was stopped in traffic this morning and a big Dodge pickup with chrome grill was behind me. I could see the reflection of my truck in the grill and noticed that my brake lights weren't on. I pressed the brake pedal harder and the lights turned on, I went back to my "resting" brake pressure and they turned off again. I'd like the brake lights to light up with light pressure on the pedal so that I don't have to hold the pedal down with an unnecessary amount of force at every red light, or worry that the lights aren't turning on when I lightly tap the brakes while moving.

Thanks in Advance!
n33k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
Artikgrau325is

Re: Brake pedal/light adjustment

The brake light switch itself is adjustable. It can tighten or loosen and be adjusted closer or further away in order to accommodate your pedal travel needs. There's two jam nuts that hold it in place. Unplug it and you should see what I mean.

You'd just loosen the nuts, and screw it in closer to the bracket thingy so it will engage sooner. Once you are satisfied that it works properly, tighten the jam nuts again and plug the switch back in.
Artikgrau325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
n33k0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikgrau325is View Post
The brake light switch itself is adjustable. It can tighten or loosen and be adjusted closer or further away in order to accommodate your pedal travel needs. There's two jam nuts that hold it in place. Unplug it and you should see what I mean.

You'd just loosen the nuts, and screw it in closer to the bracket thingy so it will engage sooner. Once you are satisfied that it works properly, tighten the jam nuts again and plug the switch back in.
Thanks for the reply. So if I understand correctly, moving the switch up makes it engage sooner? I think I felt the jam nut rotating while I was fumbling around earlier... The switch itself has to rotate to be adjusted?
n33k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

No, there is a jam nut on each side. Loosen the one and tighten the other. Loosening the one closest to the brake arm will cause the switch to close the circuit sooner, meaning that the light will come on with lighter pressure, since the switch is moved away from the brake arm sooner. Be sure to snug the one on the other side down so that the switch doesn't flop around.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote