The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
62 Barnfind

Cab noise to loud!

I have been driving my 62 for two months now on the road. It rides really good and I have been real happy with the results except the noise. I went the cheap route and used the home peel and stick roofing insulation. Since I never drove the truck before the restoration I have nothing to compare the noise to. The cab noise is real loud. I know it will have noise but I have to raise my voice to talk to my wife. My exhaust is a 24 in glass pack dumped before the axle. I was thinking on adding a roof liner and door panel pads to help cut down the tin sound inside. I have look in the search and it seems like I have done what ever body else has done. Just looking for more suggestions to quiet it down a little more!
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
wjjeeper

Re: Cab noise to loud!

Put tail pipes on and get the exhaust exiting out from under the box.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
argonaut

Also make sure the mufflers don't sit directly below the cab, it makes the resonation in the cab crazy. Like was said push the mufflers as far back toward the axle as possible and then put full length tailpipes on it.

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
Trump

Mine has flow-masters placed under the bed and tail-pipes that exit out the rear. I also have the rubber adhesive backed foil dampener installed, along with jute under a rubber floor mat. It's still pretty loud in the cab. It's a lot more metal that resonates than in other types of vehicles. Remember that these were utilitarian vehicles not cadillacs. If you want to further dampen your noise level use more jute and get plush carpet. Sray or apply dampener inside your doors and to the back sides of your interior door panels. The headliner wouldn't hurt, but won't look original. Make sure you are using the firewall pad. Beyond that. all you can do is stuff more dampener and insulation in every cranny you can or apply in multiple layers.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
62 Barnfind

Thanks everybody for the feed back. I agree with the exhaust going further out. I think thats where i'm getting most of my noise. The muffler sets behind the cab under the bed with the turn down right before the axle. I don't remember my 66 in HS having that much noise but the exhaust went all the way to the rear. But I am going back and fourth between a 14 Silverado and this 62. So that's part of my noise problem.
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
Cooper197

My truck got much quieter when I used Fatmat in the doors and on the floor, keeps things from vibrating and rattling as well as did help a bit with sound insulation along with the carpet. I can drive at 70 mph and have a normal volume conversation with somebody else.

Also the carpet does not have much backing on it, it's just an LMC kit.
Cooper197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:09 AM   #7
AcampoDave

I run a pair of rather raspy packs and the pipes exit out the side before the wheels. It's not that bad, but I have considered a pair resonator tips. But you already know you gotta dump that noise out... not underneath your ride before anything.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote