The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #1
j.rigby15r

alternator questions

So I just finished wiring up my 64 c10. It has a delco remy alternator, the one with a battery post and two slots for wires on the outside. I've seen and read different ways to wire it. Some jump a wire from the side to the battery and have a blue wire to the the horn relay. And some use the blue and a white wire from the sides and the battery to the relay. What's the difference in the two wiring? Which is best and or right?
j.rigby15r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:07 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: alternator questions

Is this an externally regulated alternator, or an internally regulated alternator such as the 10/12si?

Either way you should be able to find the answer in the Electrical section of this forum.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
Shorty Cox

(The simplicity of this is, All one really needs for the alternator to “charge” the battery and provide power for the vehicle while it is traveling is. A “thick” gage wire connected from the battery’s positive terminal to the alternator’s “battery terminal” located on the backside of the alternator. A “thick” gage wire connected from the alternator’s “battery terminal” located on the backside of alternator to the “thick” gage wire connected to the alternator’s “pig tail” plugged to the terminals located on the side at the rear of the alternator. Then a wire that is only “hot” when the ignition key is in the “run” position attached to the “thin” gage wire on the alternator’s “pig tail”.)

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
Shorty Cox

I apologize if what I said sounded harsh, I did not mean it that way. Just trying to help.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote