The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2004, 07:32 PM   #1
Grim Reaper

Arrrrhhhhhhggggg

I don't know if I'm board, metal illness, all the drugs the doc has me on or just plain stupid but I got somthing I want to do and it only makes sense for 1 reason save a little cash on gas.

I want to build a bomb. My 88 burb is pristine. It was bought as a tow rig for our 1959 Caravanner. I drive 44+miles a day to and from work and put 8k on the clock in 10 months. So I just rolled 82k. The 10mpg is miserable. The TH400 and 3.73 is awsome for towing but kind of blows for a DD because I really don't like cruisingi above 3k on the tach. So basicly I sit in the fast lane at 70mph getting passed.

Well I wouldn't mind my wife driving the burb as her DD. She's a stay at home mom so just enough miles to keepit happy and keep freash gas in it but not the big miles I'm running. Then find something that gets 20mpg or better. Well my wifes 89 accord gets about 30 hwy but I HATE that car. I feel like a clown driving it. The door opening and seat to street hight just don't work for me. I cannot get in and out of the car easily. I like my burb barka loungers and how easy it is to get in.

So I been looking for something bigger that gets MPG. 6.2 deisel fits the bill. Yeah not a great motor BUT they go cheap and in a empty truck for DD 20mpg on the hwy is great. I can pay the insurance with the savings in fuel.

Basicly I have located a burb wrecked, a doaner truck that has the parts I need to get the burb going mostly. I have even located a set of rims I like all for cheap. Basicly I could assemble a C10 6.2 deisel burb with good wheels an tires and upgrade it to a 3/4 in the process.

I got this crazy idea from the Rat Rod post in the 67-72 section. I wouldn't lower it I would leve it stock 3/4 that is pretty close to stock 1/2 4x4. Nice flat black paint job including the wheels I found. I could use a short bed truck for junk yard runs and hauling dirty engine or two so I got the idea of making this into a 1987 Avalanch. Hell it needs som sculls and fantom flames. It needs to be a real sarry looking ride to chase folks out of the fast lane.

I HAVE WAY TO MANY PROJECTS! My wife is trying to be the voice of reason and talk me out of this and to be honest she's right...I don't have time for this sort of project. I have a 59 Airstream I'm restoring. I have a 75 Jimmy toy that is always taking up time. I'm still building out hte 88 burb into the ultimate tow vehicle for the camper, I have a 79 Lemans rag top in the shop with a bad motor. I also dont have a place to store all the parts and 2 trucks till I did have time.

ANybody else have this sort of problem......

I REALLY WANT TO BUILD THIS!
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 03:56 AM   #2
Mike76251

2001 or 2002 Chevy 3500 with Duramax and Allision trans?
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 11:44 AM   #3
arveetek
Ultimate Diesel Dude

The 6.2L diesel fits your bill quite nicely. That's why I'm such a fan of the 6.2L.....great mileage and power for a full size vehicle that doesn't cost 30 grand.

I've had 4 6.2L powered vehicles, and loved every one of them. They'll actually have great power if you tweak the injection pump and get them geared properly. I tow a 29' fifth-wheel RV with mine.

Slap a turbo on one and you're flying!

I have a turbo waiting to install on my '81, just haven't found time to do it yet.

I know what you mean about projects. Not only do I have the turbo project waiting, I also want to convert mine to 4WD!
Old 01-22-2004, 12:45 PM   #4
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by arveetek
The 6.2L diesel fits your bill quite nicely. That's why I'm such a fan of the 6.2L.....great mileage and power for a full size vehicle that doesn't cost 30 grand.

I've had 4 6.2L powered vehicles, and loved every one of them. They'll actually have great power if you tweak the injection pump and get them geared properly. I tow a 29' fifth-wheel RV with mine.

Slap a turbo on one and you're flying!

I have a turbo waiting to install on my '81, just haven't found time to do it yet.

I know what you mean about projects. Not only do I have the turbo project waiting, I also want to convert mine to 4WD!
I can build this set up so cheap and the MPG deal is sweet. That will let me have a parts runner I don't mind miles on. My Buddy has a couple good blocks so I got 6.2 parts easy to come up with. The 5 vehicles is the problem

The truck I paln to strip I will make it's long bead into a trailer that I may or may not sell. Sell the 10bolt in the Burb and throu the 14sf from the truck under it and the 3/4 front suspension . Fun project and I think I could get it on the road in a week if I can line up a little help to get the clips swapped. It would have to take precidece over all other projects and get the mess gone quick and thats the real problem. My garage is burrid with this camper. It's amazing how much stuff is inside a 22ft camper when you pull it all out LOL.

So what kind of MPG you getting and what transmission? I have a second running truck I also have interest in. They are out of their grd on what they are asking. It's not even a silverado and it's a ex Fire truck so the roof is going to have a bunch of holes in it from light bars. The up side is it's a 91 so it should have a 4l80. It would be a lot of money up front but drivable from the word go.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:37 PM   #5
arveetek
Ultimate Diesel Dude

I have the 700R4 overdrive with 4.10 gears and 28" tires. I average 18.5 mpg driving mostly around 65 mph or less. I get up on the interstate above 70 and the mileage starts to drop to 17 or so.

I used to have 3.42 gears and I could get 19 all the time. However, I wanted more power, and the 4.10s did that for me. I love the 4.10's coupled to the 700, drives great.

I had an '86 K-10 with 6.2L, 3.73 gears, and an SM465 tranny. That truck got about 15 mpg on the highway.

The '86 C-10 burb I also used to own had a 6.2L, 700, and 3.73 gears. It got around 19 mpg as well.

I also had a '77 K5 2WD with 3.08 gears and 350 tranny behind a swapped-in 6.2L. It got about 22 mpg.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:39 PM   #6
arveetek
Ultimate Diesel Dude

Oh yeah, it's cool you're restoring a 59 Airstream. That's quite a collector's item! Airstreams are the best built rig on the road.

I know what you mean by all the stuff they can put into a trailer. I have an RV repair business, so I work on that kind of stuff all the time.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:23 PM   #7
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Oh yeah, it's cool you're restoring a 59 Airstream. That's quite a collector's item! Airstreams are the best built rig on the road.

I know what you mean by all the stuff they can put into a trailer. I have an RV repair business, so I work on that kind of stuff all the time.

RV repair buisness.......Hay buddy old pall Your my new best friend! ahahaha

Seriously, I am looking for some used stuff like water heater lake a 6 gallon Atwood or Suburban, Penguin 13k A/C and a 52 inch tall Reefer and a heeter like a Suburban ducted inside access (don't want to add a door to the exterior, adding vent is bad enough). You ever come accoss this stuff used from wrecks that you could sell at a good price?

My Father-in-law put 110v house junk in as stuff failed so all the LP powered stuff is gone. hahahah We figured out he SHOT the reefer. Found a bulet hole though a divider and tracing the path it went right into the reefer door from the side. Thankfully that stopped it from going through the front of the coach.

Now get this....My wife threw me a wammy last night. I love Unimogs. I want one bad. More as a joke I give her a hard time and ask for a Unimog al lthe time...... Last night she said yes.

So I'm going to call on one and see if they would concider a trade for my 70 LeMans convertable and my 75 Jimmy for this fixer up 76 U1300.

Old 01-23-2004, 05:42 PM   #8
arveetek
Ultimate Diesel Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Grim Reaper

RV repair buisness.......Hay buddy old pall Your my new best friend! ahahaha

Seriously, I am looking for some used stuff like water heater lake a 6 gallon Atwood or Suburban, Penguin 13k A/C and a 52 inch tall Reefer and a heeter like a Suburban ducted inside access (don't want to add a door to the exterior, adding vent is bad enough). You ever come accoss this stuff used from wrecks that you could sell at a good price?

I wish I had a good steady supply of used RV parts! I'd make a fortune!

Seriously, I don't have anything right now, but I do run into them from time to time.

There's an RV parts and salvage place just up the road from me. I get a lot of parts from them. Check them out at www.colawrvsalvage.com

I have three old Suburban NT furnaces sitting in the junk pile right now, but it would probably be cheaper buying a new one than trying to repair these. That's why I have them. I talked the customers into new ones.

How long is your trailer? An NT 34SP furnace would probably be just right.

Probably the hardest item finding will be the refrigerator. They're like gold. Expensive and hard to find! Colaw's has some great prices, though, on new and perhaps a few used ones.

I can order you some new parts if you'd like!
Old 01-23-2004, 07:29 PM   #9
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally posted by Grim Reaper
Now get this....My wife threw me a wammy last night. I love Unimogs. I want one bad. More as a joke I give her a hard time and ask for a Unimog al lthe time...... Last night she said yes.

So I'm going to call on one and see if they would concider a trade for my 70 LeMans convertable and my 75 Jimmy for this fixer up 76 U1300.
Man Unimogs are WICKED!!! Lucky guy!

I know about the 2 many projects deal. I have 4 in progress right now and that doesn't included the Pickup and the Jimmy!
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 11:04 PM   #10
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

the next 4x4 I build will have unimog axles. the ultimate in ground clearance

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 11:26 PM   #11
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

arveetek, suddenly you logon name makes sense to me. i just started 3 weeks ago at Monaco Coach in their service department.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 03:17 AM   #12
Grim Reaper

Quote:

There's an RV parts and salvage place just up the road from me. I get a lot of parts from them. Check them out at www.colawrvsalvage.com

Yeah I am aware of them. Had somebody on Airstreamforums supose to look for some Hehr windows when they were there.

Do me a favor and next time you go look for any 59-62 streams. The windows I am looking for are Hehr 1009 2140 and 2142. This is on the bottom of the exterior frame. 1009 is the style and the 2140 and 2142 is the size of the opening it fits. so a 2140 would fit a hole 21 inches x 40 inches.

Our coach is a 22ft 1959 Caravanner. It was my Father-in-laws. I could buy one in better condtions for less then I will put into this but it's a labor of love to restore it for my wife to remember her dad by it. http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...988and_59f.jpg