The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

Long bed conversions hurt real short bed values?

No sure this has come up but for discussion purposes ...

What are thoughts on short bed conversions vs. real short bed trucks?

Does a real short bed command a premium over an equal conversion? How much?

With more conversions being done, is there a potential of the short bed market being flooded thus dropping values?

With the demand to create short beds is there a potential to drive up long bed values..Or all our era truck values?

Is there just so many 67-72 era trucks out there it just doesnt matter?

Thoughts anyone may wish to add or discuss?
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
catch2otwo

Re: Long bed conversions hurt real short bed values?

It really doesn't matter. Apples to apples, a real deal factory short bed truck will always be worth more than a similar condition conversion. As far as conversions affecting values due to a flooding market, i doubt its happening. There really aren't that many people doing it.

If your basing it off the forum, the forum is really a tiny slice of whats actually out there in the real world. Truth is the amount of people that are building these trucks is tiny. I see a ton of c10 beaters used by construction/landscape etc guys everyday who dont give a second glance at a passing c10.
catch2otwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
hamjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch2otwo View Post
It really doesn't matter. Apples to apples, a real deal factory short bed truck will always be worth more than a similar condition conversion. As far as conversions affecting values due to a flooding market, i doubt its happening. There really aren't that many people doing it.

If your basing it off the forum, the forum is really a tiny slice of whats actually out there in the real world. Truth is the amount of people that are building these trucks is tiny. I see a ton of c10 beaters used by construction/landscape etc guys everyday who dont give a second glance at a passing c10.
I think catch2otwo is correct on value, but depending your location of people noticing these trucks, here in New York when I take my beater to the dump, to the lumber company or any where a lot of people take notice and want to take up a conversation of the truck. I guess its because they're so far and few between as they are out west or down south. It seems every one in dry warm areas has one of these in one form or shape...
Old 12-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

The problem I am seeing is the lack of dishonest sellers trying to get shortbed money for cut longbeds. It all depends on the state of issuing the title, but I come across so many "mutt" trucks that it is really getting aggrevating to me. I am seeing longbed prices starting to gow up. C-10's are very popular at the moment, I am hoping it will phase out soon so the demand goes down along with pricing.

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
68shortwide

As a real shortbed truck owner I actually find it somewhat flattering that people are cuttin down longbeds, that being said it may make my search for a longbed k10 a bit harder and more expensive. It all comes down to the vin. The vin and or spid tag tell all. And you'll always be able to tell by the frame, whether its cut or not. Just my 2c.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
bs46488

I will admit, I cut a LWB down to a SWB. If I sell my truck, I will advertise it as "LWB cut down to a SWB"

Here in San Diego there are so many C10's everywhere. I know of 6 of them around my house parked on the street (2 with flat tires).

My wife, who can barely tell the difference between her van and my f150, said to me on Saturday "I think there is an old truck like yours down the street" Sure enough, LWB C10 kind of a school bus yellow being WORKED as a gardener's truck. He was towing a trailer and had a full load in the bed.
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote