The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2014, 10:46 PM   #1
low&slow
Account Suspended

C.A. Chassisworks

Hey guys. I've been wondering about CAChassisworks drag race steering columns and I'm wondering if that style of steering column would be okay for very mild street driving?

This is what I'm thinking of:

http://www.cachassisworks.com/p-270-...30-shafts.aspx
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
low&slow
Account Suspended

Re: C.A. Chassisworks

No one?
Old 12-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
killerpanel

I have run solid shafts on street cars without issue, but you will feel every road vibration in your hands. The Rag joint is a dampener. Also, stock shafts are designed to collapse in an accident. a solid one will not. If you are in a head on collision, that shaft is going to go right into you. Race cars, as that is designed for, also utilize front cages to protect the car in case of an accident.
killerpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
low&slow
Account Suspended

I do intend to put a full roll cage in the cab with the front bars in the engine compartment and the rear bars going into the bed. Is there any way to lesson the viberation on the steering wheel any?

Right now I'm only planning on driving the truck to town every once in a great while, cruises, and car shows.

I have thought about the idea of doing short road trips in it to various other shows and races, but I'm not certain on this yet.

Regardless of which way I go with the truck, I do intend to drive it on the street some during the summer
Old 12-05-2014, 01:29 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would install a rag joint on the steering box. It is relatively easy to fabricate a basic steering column. You just need a length of .750" cold rolled round, a couple .750" ID go kart wheel bearings and a piece of round tube with an ID to accommodate the bearings. You might have to have the ends of the tube machined slightly for a nice snug fit with the bearings. For the steering wheel attachment, a quick release hub is an easy way.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote