The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
Gregski
Post Whore

A day at Pick N Pull

so went to one of our local Pick N Pull junk yard places but didn't come away with much

saw some long tube headers off of a '79, but someone took the driver side already, who does that, who goes to the junk yard and says you know what I need some custom long tube headers but only on my side

saw some neat almost flush air tube plugs and even unscrewed a couple before realizing the driver side manifold was already gone, again wth (did I really say neat? jk)

then I went after a radiator support from a matching year 1974 GMC, got all the bolts out except for [wait for it] ... ONE as I was turning the last one it took a piece of sheet metal out with it but not from the fender but from the piece I was after, oh well

just sharing all in all it was a fun day
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:44 AM   #2
bigwheel15

Re: A day at Pick N Pull

I got a theory people will take one of something desirable, say headers or wheels for instance; and stash it somewhere knowing no one is going to get the other(s) if its not a complete set. They then come back later and buy em.
bigwheel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
bdiamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel15 View Post
I got a theory people will take one of something desirable, say headers or wheels for instance; and stash it somewhere knowing no one is going to get the other(s) if its not a complete set. They then come back later and buy em.
Or, pull everything and stash it in the least desirable vehicle on the lot. Dodge mini vans work well for this.
bdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #4
bnoon

Found a few things hidden in Pontiac Sunfires LOL!
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #5
slotard

I need to head to a junkyard to pick up a new steering column. I haven't paid much attention, do they usually come with keys? If not I'm not sure you can get the lock cylinder out otherwise...
slotard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:42 PM   #6
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotard View Post
I need to head to a junkyard to pick up a new steering column. I haven't paid much attention, do they usually come with keys? If not I'm not sure you can get the lock cylinder out otherwise...
I have yet to see a vehicle with keys, if they did come with keys I am sure knuckleheads toss em or take em for some reason.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:42 AM   #7
lilpoindexter

The other header got stashed in preperation for 1/2 price day, or it was in the way of some other component they wanted.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
1774btcrew

I always have a good time at the wrecking yards. I go all of the west coast hitting them. The worst wrecking yards that I ever went to were in Las Vegas and Henderson NV. I didn't buy a single thing! I didn't even see anything missing from vehicles that I wanted that I missed out on! I would think on the exhaust manifold missing, it could be someone that had one that cracked. The header missing is anyone's guess!

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1774btcrew View Post
I always have a good time at the wrecking yards. I go all of the west coast hitting them.
Pick me up next time your roll through Sacramento, I need a lime green passenger fender and a matching GMC tailgate! Or keep an eye out on them for me, I'll shoot you a finders fee, or put you up for the night, my baby back ribs are amazing LOL
Old 12-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #10
1774btcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
Pick me up next time your roll through Sacramento, I need a lime green passenger fender and a matching GMC tailgate! Or keep an eye out on them for me, I'll shoot you a finders fee, or put you up for the night, my baby back ribs are amazing LOL

I may just take you up on that! I really love being able to travel like I do! I am lucky to be able to do what I love for a living.

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote