The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #7
FirstOwner69

Re: Haven't touched my truck in a month...

Very interesting. I thought I was the only one.

I've done what I would consider three truly major projects in my life. They each took about three years to "complete". All three have at least one item remaining. I call it the almost done syndrome.

First was a complete rebuild and restoration of a vacation home on a northern Wisconsin lake in the late 70s. I have never put a handrail on the stairway between the main and lower levels. I think about it every time use the stairs...multiple times a day. It would only take less than a day to do.

Second was in the mid to late 80s when I did a frame off NCRS restoration on my 58 Vette. The car has both hard and soft tops, but NCRS only required one for judging. So, I only did the soft top and went through the judging process for the Bloomington Gold and NCRS Duntov. I had disassembled the hard top, and it is still in the basement like that. The axle has also leaked slightly since the restoration, but I was able to make it disappear when judged.

Third was the frame off on my 69 truck started in 2010 and "finished" in 2013. I was very fortunate that everything worked properly the first time. Well, almost everything. Everything but the gas gauge which hadn't worked since about 1998 (just a guess since I had stored the truck for at least 20 years and only started, but not driven it more that 10 feet, each year). I repaired a bare spot on the wire from the sending unit, converted from idiot lights to gauges, reconfigured several sets of gauges and figured I was good to go. Hmm, bad guess on my part. I ordered a new sending unit, tore out my buckets and console and installed the sending unit. Worked great for half a tank then another failure. Can't muster the ambition to tear into it again.

Maybe there's a fear of not having a major project to work on. Maybe we just want to get to the light at the end of the tunnel.

Jim

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 12-17-2014 at 05:22 PM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote