The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
Mossbeard

choke cable - know any good tricks?

I've got a sticky choke cable. It's nearly impossible to pull from inside the cab. By hand, under the hood, the butterfly valve moves just fine and the cable moves along with it.

So, anybody got any good tips and tricks for un-sticking a choke cable?
Mossbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
66customcamper

Re: choke cable - know any good tricks?

Mine is kinda like that. I just mash the gas pedal slightly and the choke pulls out/pushes in easily. Don't know how to correct the issue permanently, this works for me as often as I (don't) drive it.
66customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
luvbowties

Smile Re: choke cable - know any good tricks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossbeard View Post
I've got a sticky choke cable. It's nearly impossible to pull from inside the cab. By hand, under the hood, the butterfly valve moves just fine and the cable moves along with it.

So, anybody got any good tips and tricks for un-sticking a choke cable?
Remove choke cable completely. Spray good grade of nut/bolt loosener with rust cutter along entire length of cable, held straight with weights, vice-grips and workbench, etc. Let it all penetrate. Then loosen cable from its tension and "roll" entire assembly thru about a 7-inch circle from end to end. Blow out assy with air.

Now, carefully massage entire assembly from end to end, straightening all bends. Next remove internal "wire" from "spring-looking" housing. Spray again with same. Let sit and penetrate. Blow it out. Spray spring-housing again, this time using "speedo lube"--like a graphite oil base. Roll it again thruout ~7-inch loops. Blow out well. Lube once last time & insert the "wire" back into/thru spring housing. *Ensure you completely straighten the carb end of the wire--maybe using small flat hammer on an anvil--before attempting to feed back thru the spring-looking housing* It should push and pull just like new now.

Sounds like lots to do to salvage original choke cable, but really doesn't take that long, and you have plenty of rust-remover, nut loosener, penetrating oil, and speedo-chain lube left over for your lube-shelf.

Hope you enjoy the fruits of this labor & find it both successful and rewarding.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:11 PM   #4
yelmer

That is the way they are designed you need to push on the pedal to adjust the choke
yelmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #5
70inline6

X2

My start procedure is to push the gas pedal to the floor, pull the choke out, let go of gas pedal, turn key...

...of course getting the choke gap correct is a whole different procedure - see the manual.
70inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
ACK

Interesting, I don't hit the gas at all, just pull out the choke and turn the key. Starts right up, even on the coldest days. Running a 4.1L with Rochester B.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I generally replace the cable with a new one, which works like brand new (because it is). Less than 10 bucks at the local parts store. Then pull both the new and old knobs and attach the original to the new cable with JB Weld.