The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
65ChevyC20

Parking Brake Cable

I was replacing my rear wheel cylinders and thought I would just also replace my parking brake cables but I fear they sent me the incorrect cables or do I need to transfer some hardware from the old cable to the new. The length is the same but it appears that the spring loaded clip on the new cable simply plugs into the backing plate whereas my cable has a little clamshell that covers the entry point where the cable enters the backing plate. Here are a few pics to show the difference and the packaging that came with the replacement cable
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
AnlaufJohn

Re: Parking Brake Cable

I replaced mine last month and the ones I took off are like your new ones. The three flanged tabs secure the cable to the backing plate, but I did not have any "clamshell" to plug the opening. Mine may have been replaced by an earlier owner.
John
283 w/ 2bbl, OE carb and dist.
4 spd (granny 1st) w/ 3.73 rear end
AnlaufJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:38 PM   #3
pimpston65

yeah it needs the mounting plate thing on it. i think its 60-63 type and or 4X4 and or 3/4ton. the new one looks like 1/2ton with the "fingers". inline tube has the correct application, if you narrow the type down you can always try other vendors...
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:02 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The new one is for a '63-'65 C/K 10, not a C20 as you have.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
65ChevyC20

Getting frustrated!!! I'm trying to order some new parking brake cables and keep receiving incorrect cables. I have a PB cable that measures 85" + from the linkage at the cross member to the rear drum. The cable runs the full length of the rear control arm.

I just ordered a cable from a Kansas supply house and they shipped out a cable that has the needed hardware at the drum but is lacking in length by 42". I've since called the supply house and the cable they shipped was for a '66 C20 and all other cables are only for C10s, which is the cable I posted above.
I'm thinking I may have to swap over to 66 parking brake linkage in order to have a parking brake. Anyone else experience this with a C20

I had the sales rep bring up the photos of the cables that were recommended above but it wouldn't work with my truck
Old 11-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
slorio

65Chevy:
Take your old ones off and send them to:
http://www.inlinetube.com/

Those folks will use the brackets off of your old cables and make you an exact replacement. Prices last time I used them were also very reasonable.
Regards,
Steve
New Orleans
slorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
65ChevyC20

Thanks for the info Slorio. I just ordered new replacement cables. He knew the exact length I needed.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
Jimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorio View Post
65Chevy:
Take your old ones off and send them to:
http://www.inlinetube.com/

Those folks will use the brackets off of your old cables and make you an exact replacement. Prices last time I used them were also very reasonable.
Regards,
Steve
New Orleans
I hope their cables are better than their website. Based on what the application chart says on their website for my truck ('65 K10 short bed) I assumed that I had some sort of mongrel setup and I was going to need custom cables. I called Inline Tube, and when I explained my situation the first thing the rep said was,

"We don't make custom parking brake cables anymore."

Hmm... Luckily, when I gave him my application, he looked it up on his end and came up with what sounded like the correct cable for my truck. And since these cables are off-the-shelf, I'm not paying the 20%-25% custom premium.
Jimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
Jimal

They may not make custom parking brake cables anymore, but what they do make is about as close to original as you're going to get. Exact length, exact materials, exact attachments. I can't wait to install them.
Jimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #10
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I had the same exact problem with my 1960 GMC 1/2 ton. Had the adapter clamps but no way to attach the spring fingers. I looked at every vehicle in several junkyards with a Dana 44 rear axle hoping to find backing plates with a conventional hole for the parking brake cable.

I finally gave up and had my son fabricate custom brackets that bolted into the original 3 holes. They had a washer/bracket welded in place for the standard spring finger style ends to snap into. I thought it was a Dana 44 issue. I guess it's a GM doing something weird issue.