The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
pwdcougar

Re: The Bufmobl Build

The plywood floor on the donor body is in great shape so I'll probably leave it in place unless there is a reason is should come out.

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:24 AM   #2
Gobuffalo

I'm Back!
After being married for 30 years, my wife decided we needed vacation to celebrate. Kauai is assume.
2 days before I left I was running a snow blower. Now I have to get used to shoes again.

But I digress.
While the body was in paint jail, I worked on the frame. Got it powder coated, installed a 6" lift from Off Road Design and put axles on.
Attached Images

Gobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:42 AM   #3
Gobuffalo

I said it had been thru some changes.

The Dana 60 rear was fine with a small block. I decided I needed MORE POWER. So I built a 496. 550 lb.ft. of torque is awesome! Until you put on some new mudders and step on the right pedal. It will shear the axle flange right off the end of the shaft. When my wife asked "how did you do that" the only reply I could think of was "stepping on the gas".

That required a new axle or 2. Come to find out the 70's and 80's military GMC pickups (M1008 I think) have 14 bolt rears and Dana 60 fronts that bolt in with only changing the rear shock mounts. They come with 4:56 gears with a Detroit Locker in the rear and a posi in the front.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2015, 03:51 AM   #4
Gobuffalo

So now I've got way more engine then I will ever need and extra heavy duty axles so what is gonna go next. That's easy, the TH350. So out with old and in with the new TH400 and NP205. Now you get to move everything around so it will all fit. Now that it fits why not buy new drive lines because they don't fit anymore. Neither does the exhaust.
Now I'm glad I sent the boy to welding school.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2015, 01:56 AM   #5
Gobuffalo

After sitting in paint jail for more than a year, I told the painter I wanted it back ASAP. He told me if I wanted it back I had to come up with $9400.00 for labor and $2500.00 for materials. This was $9400.00 more than I owed him. I offered him $3500.00. He said no. So the Burb came home. Found another painter that quoted $3500.00, so I took it to him. I thought it came out very nice. Only time will tell.

In the mean time, my sister called me to tell me about an LQ4 and a 4L80E in a truck I could buy for $500.00. Needless to say, I bought it and installed it but that's in an LSx swap swap thread.

Here is a picture today with the front end and door handles on. Going to need all new glass as mine is all scratched and pitted. Need to find $1000.00 somewhere. That trip to Hawaii sucked up every penny and then some.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2015, 02:01 AM   #6
Gobuffalo

I bought a zinc plating kit from Eastwood. Used it on some door parts. It worked great.
Bought stainless hardware so everything would match.
Attached Images