The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
Kungfoogrip

Cool Howdy from Houston there is a newbie with a 71 Shortbed here!

Hey guys,

Thanks for reading my first post. Just stumbled onto this site and my first reaction was where the heck have you been!! This is going to make my project all the better since I am basically a noob. I picked up this 71 from a co worker who was the second owner of the truck. It runs great he says it has 400hp to the rear wheels, unfortunately it is not ready for the road yet. It has wiring issues and I am going to rebuild the front end. I thought I would start off with a new wire harness and replace it all. I bought a harness from AMERICAN AUTO WIRE and when I opened the box I must admit it looks very intimidating. IF you guys could offer any suggestions or tips they would be greatly appreciated. I will post more pics very soon.

Thanks again!

Brad
Attached Images

Kungfoogrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #2
R.L.

Re: Howdy from Houston there is a newbie with a 71 Shortbed here!

Welcome to the forums, Great looking truck! I'm sure someone can help you with that wiring that's something facing me one day.
R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
BrianG

Welcome, and that's a sharp looking truck! I can't help too much on the wiring other than suggesting that you try doing a search. Type your search in search box at the top, then click in the 67-72chevytrucks.com radio button, and then hit the google button. I am at crossroads in my rebuild where I'm either going to try to reuse a patched original wire harness or buy new from someone, so, It'll be interesting to hear how your experience goes with the one that you bought.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
steelhorse

Welcome from NC.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
praisegeetarman

Great looking truck.

My suggestion for the harness install is to prepare.

-Open up the new harness and identify and label all the connections. Separate the different parts of the harness and recognize how they are routed.

-Compare these connections to the harness in your truck before you remove it. Take pictures and notes at to where the wires are run and where they connect.

-Do only one harness at a time. That way its several smaller and shorter projects instead of one big one. Much less intimidating.

-I'll say it one more time. Prepare. Do it in your head several times before you do it to the truck. Once you remove the old harness, your only pattern is gone.

Good luck.

Keith
praisegeetarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
hdff

Welcome to the forum ! Nice looking truck hat part of Houston are you in.

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #7
Bigru

Welcome to the show, lol.

1983 Short Fleet (Under construction for my 13 year old son)
2008 GMC Denali
2012 Harley Roadglide

Follow me on Instagram: Ru_django
Bigru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
jmorri34

Hey and welcome to the site, this place is full of great people willing to help!!
As for the harness, dont fret I had the exact same harness and it is very easy to do just follow the directions. You will need to get the right kind of crimpers though as there is a specific crimp that needs to be done to the wires. I had never done one before and worked an hour or 2 at a time and within a week had the whole truck done. It does look very scary but I assure you if you follow their directions you'll have no problem. If you get a hiccup the people at AAW were more than helpful to work with as well. Good luck

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=568661
jmorri34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
Kungfoogrip

@ HDFF I am in Cypress, thanks for the input it looks like good advice that i will use for sure. Im gonna go take some more pics and post them.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-2014, 07:21 PM   #10
fast&low

Cool Re: Howdy from Houston there is a newbie with a 71 Shortbed here!

X2 on the wire crimpers this is probably the most important thing on the install & if I where you I would just buy them through them there not cheap but well worth the cost.
Take your time follow the steps they give you & it will come out awesome they also give you enough wire so if you want you can hide them for a cleaner look.
Enjoy your C10 & good luck
fast&low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
Kungfoogrip

OK I am beginning to get the picture with the crimpers. Do I get the double or the multi-crimpers? I am looking at AAW's site. http://www.americanautowire.com/shop...autowire/tools
Old 11-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #12
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungfoogrip View Post
Hey guys,

I bought a harness from AMERICAN AUTO WIRE and when I opened the box I must admit it looks very intimidating. IF you guys could offer any suggestions or tips they would be greatly appreciated.
Hey Brad,

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking truck!

Having rewired my '78 during a ground up restoration, I know exactly what you are talking about. Open the box, and you think "how am I ever going to do all this?"

Advice: Ignore the wires (as a group) and take it one wire at a time. DO NOT cut anything to begin with. Just set the harness in the location it will be installed, then...one wire at a time, start laying it out, where it will go. Make sure to run through the fenders for those wires going up to the headlights.

Once you get them all sorted with the initial location of where they are going, then tape them in their respective sections to hold a "group" of wires together. You can even put a label, like "left side, headlight alternator group."

Pick up some wiring loom, in bulk, off Ebay (cheaper in bulk, then if you went to the auto parts store). Just take your time. It took us about two days to run everything and we took our time, double checked wires before cutting, etc.

Test, as you go along. For example, after getting the left headlight wired, test it to see if it works. We tested each each section after installation, so that if there was a problem, we knew it was the last section we worked on and not have to take everything apart to find out where the problem was.

Hope that helps...best of luck!
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:01 PM   #13
fast&low

For the crimpers look at the sheets of paper in the box it will tell you which ones you need with the part numbers.
p/n 500523
p/n 500649
You will need both.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #14
Kungfoogrip

Thanks so much for the input already...Yes fast&low you are correct on the part numbers I looked at the sheet. Oh well what's another $200 on your dream truck right? I hope they come in before next weekend because that's when I want to get started. It will be like a red flag at a Nascar race I will have everything ready to go to get started just waiting on the green flag!
Old 11-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #15
fast&low

No worries it will be a breeze
It should not take long to get your crimpers & let me tell you you picked the right time of the year to do it I did my 64 Chevelle in the summer & my 69 C10 in the winter & let me tell you never again will I do it in the summer. lol
Get your wire looms & automotive grade electronic tape from Simmit there cheaper there & you can get them by the bag full in every size you need in one bag I want to say I only needed one bag.
The wires that you don't use don't cut them off just tape off the ends & hide in the wire loom's ( electronic windows,electronic fan & so on so on) you may not need it now but maybe in the future?
Only open the bag of wires that you are working one when your done with that step open the next.
If you are lucky you can get your wife to help you I did & she loved it she did my gauges and taillights yes that's how easy it is.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #16
Kungfoogrip

Cool deal...I am all set I have it all ordered! Its like Christmas on Thanksgiving. I hope my experience goes as smooth as yours! Thanks to everyone for the input. There will be a need for more in the future!

I think tomorrow I will start a thread for my progress on my truck like a project thread.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:46 PM   #17
1stchevy

How's your rewire going?
1stchevy is offline   Reply With Quote