The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
c20pickup

Full convertible blazer\jimmy

Im sure this question has been asked already, but what was the last year of the full convertible blazer/jimmy? From what i can find it was 73-75 but maybe 76 also? What were some other differences between the 73-75 and the 76+?
c20pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:52 AM   #2
thefraze_1020

Re: Full convertible blazer\jimmy

Yes, you are correct. 1975 was the final year of the full convertible top, and also the matching doors without frames.
1976 was the first year of having a partial top and full door frames. Thus, from 1976 onward, the Blazer/ Jimmy used the same doors as the Suburbans and C/K pickups.

1984 Chevy C20 Custom Deluxe
thefraze_1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
DREAMER1

Let's keep this going....by simply cutting the window frame off the door of a truck they'll fit the blazer/jimmy correct ( of course transferring over the end caps also)? Or are there other modifications that need to be done?
DREAMER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

The full-convertible models have the rocker boxes that keep the body from sagging in the middle when the top is off. I don't think anybody is reproducing them yet for squarebody's.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
Am3rican

There is a brace inside the door where the window frame is cut off near the outer door handle, this strengthens the door and adds a place for the cap to screw too. Also I'm pretty sure the rear window channel is different (shorter) and has a support brace near the top. There maybe something extra on the top of the door where the window frame is cut by the wing window but I can't recall specifically other than the special rubber seal.

Here is a write up from coloradok5.com on a conversion that was roughed in by some guys in about 5 hours. It shows a picture of the door braces and the window channel support along with other good info.

I hope its ok to post the link, if not please feel free to delete it.

http://coloradok5.com/full-convertible-conversion.shtml
Am3rican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
mpierce9

Cool link. I did just buy from LMC the inner and outer rocker panel. However under both driver and passenger side seat there is a double floor of sorts that I suppose is that extra support. IT's nice to have but i recently replaced my seats with those from a Silverado and this extra floor has made adding bolts to the underside to support the new seats very difficult.
mpierce9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3rican View Post
There is a brace inside the door where the window frame is cut off near the outer door handle, this strengthens the door and adds a place for the cap to screw too. Also I'm pretty sure the rear window channel is different (shorter) and has a support brace near the top. There maybe something extra on the top of the door where the window frame is cut by the wing window but I can't recall specifically other than the special rubber seal.

Here is a write up from coloradok5.com on a conversion that was roughed in by some guys in about 5 hours. It shows a picture of the door braces and the window channel support along with other good info.

I hope its ok to post the link, if not please feel free to delete it.

http://coloradok5.com/full-convertible-conversion.shtml
That's a good write up, and I've seen it before, but it's the only conversion article I've seen that implies the rocker boxes aren't necessary. I'm not knocking them, that's a good website. But notice he does say he's noticed no significant flexing, leading you to believe some flexing is there and metal fatigue and cracks are in the future without the rocker boxes.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:55 PM   #8
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

It will flex significantly without added support in the rockers. I had a 2wd '77 that had been cut and the quarters almost touched the doors going down the highway. Seemed significant to me. However, on the doors of the same truck the "artist" who performed the top surgery used a long sheet rock screw to attach the rear door cap through the rear window channel, and it seemed to hold it just fine. The rear of the door did not deform without the plate in there. It seems like you would have to really butcher up a set of original doors to get the reinforcement out. I was told that the replacement 73-75 doors from GM had a pickup door, cap, and template of where to cut the door.