The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

6.0 mating with a NV4500???

Guys,, I have a chance to buy a 06 3/4 ton van (minor wreck in drivers front corner,, except for expired tags it's road 'capable' but don't know how road 'worthy' yet) Anyways the price is reasonable at $2000 but it's a high mileage delivery vehicle.

It has a 6.0 and a 4L80E trans.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has tried,, or if there is a flywheel / clutch / bellhousing adapter to bolt the 6.0 up to a 90's era 1/2 ton 4WD chassis and manual trans. I ordered the ol 94 4X4 new with a 350 and NV4500 trans / NP transfer case.

After I retired it from the work fleet I freshened the trans (lost the output splines) and built a hydraulic roller 383 with RHS Vortec heads and retained the TBI. It pulls 'OK' but the TBI and OBDI just has never been right (on 4th chip now and tired of fighting with it)

I'm thinking of putting this 6.0 in the truck,, but not sure of the headaches I'm in for. Anyone put a 6.0 in front of a NV4500 (adapters available) ad more so,, put 6.0 in a 90-98 4x4 chassis???

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:21 PM   #2
HemiChallenger71

Re: 6.0 mating with a NV4500???

Should bolt right up. The flywheel will have to be for a manual LS. They put nv4500's behind the 6.0 in 2000-2002 I think.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Ven...0_transmission You'll probably need to find a junkyard truck to scrounge some parts from.
HemiChallenger71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:20 PM   #3
Marv D

Thanks so much. I guess I need to go on a treasure hunt. I had no idea they did a 6.0 with the NV4500. This could be much easier than I had even hoped.

I really think this is the direction I'm headed. Looking at $ for a new truck and just doesn't make sense any more. Who can rationalize $35-45k for a stinking pickup that won't be worth $1500 in 10 years.
I'm at 1/4 million miles on this chassis now,, I figure for $50k I can keep rebuilding and get 1million miles before it is not worth 'rebuilding' any more.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #4
HemiChallenger71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Thanks so much. I guess I need to go on a treasure hunt. I had no idea they did a 6.0 with the NV4500. This could be much easier than I had even hoped.

I really think this is the direction I'm headed. Looking at $ for a new truck and just doesn't make sense any more. Who can rationalize $35-45k for a stinking pickup that won't be worth $1500 in 10 years.
I'm at 1/4 million miles on this chassis now,, I figure for $50k I can keep rebuilding and get 1million miles before it is not worth 'rebuilding' any more.
x2. I run all old stuff and i stock parts for my junk. I have a '95 cummins dodge. In a few years our trucks will increase in value because the new ones are just so expensive and dont really do anything better except ride nicer.

I think the hardest part about your swap will be motor mounts and computer/wiring. I think theres a few places that make bolt in mounts now. The 6.0 will probably get better mpg and make more power. Throw in a mild "drop in" truck cam and it should be a really nice combo.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:08 PM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Do you want to keep it 4wd?

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:51 AM   #6
Marv D

Yes BR3,, it's staying 4wd. I'm sure that is going to complicate things,, but if it were easy........

Old 01-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Can you tell my the RPO code on the trans? There are two version of the Nv4500 at that time, requiring slightly different setup. They didn't usually put that trans in 1500's, so if you ordered it that way, I'm not sure which version of the trans you'll have.

As others have said, it'll bolt up alright....I can't honestly help with the 4wd stuff tho. Every trans swap I've done has been to get RID of that lol.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:14 PM   #8
HemiChallenger71

What difference would it make if its 4wd or not?
Old 01-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #9
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

output housing and mainshaft

Old 01-03-2015, 08:00 PM   #10
HemiChallenger71

Right but as far as bolting up and using the existing trans/engine location shouldnt change should it?
Old 01-03-2015, 08:47 PM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

The position will change slightly based on what mounts your using, but the overall length wouldn't change much ****

***but...to handle the power of modified LS's, some people have switched to a different style of clutch fork and flywheel, using a different bellhousing. I have NO clue how that affects the overall size. I can't speak first or second-hand to that, so I'm outliving my usefulness on this one.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:57 PM   #12
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post

Flywheel/Clutch/Pilot bearing spacer/BoltsHERE.

Or use factory 6.0L NV4500 Flywheel/Pilot Bearing/Bolts (Flywheel & Pressure Plate), Reuse the Crank Spacer that is on the engine now.

The External Slave Cylinder on your early NV4500 "May" hit the oil pan on the 6.0L, Pull the Bellhousing & mock it up first.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:10 AM   #13
franken

Manual transmissions bolt to a bellhousing that bolts to the engine.
The questions are, are the bits that connect things compatible.?
Pilot bearing diameter
Trans input shaft length
Trans to BH bolt pattern
Clutch actuation
I seem to recall the Chevy pattern was used so any BH should bolt to the engine, but the Dodge trans pattern was used on the 95 or so (higher 1st) transmissions.
AA has all the info needed.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:20 AM   #14
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
AA has all the info needed.
Alcoholic's Anonymous? They won't let you drink a beer while you work on your truck....

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #15
Marv D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Can you tell my the RPO code on the trans? There are two version of the Nv4500 at that time, requiring slightly different setup. They didn't usually put that trans in 1500's, so if you ordered it that way, I'm not sure which version of the trans you'll have.

As others have said, it'll bolt up alright....I can't honestly help with the 4wd stuff tho. Every trans swap I've done has been to get RID of that lol.
The trans is the early 90-95 version (MT8) and ues I always have to prove it is really a NV4500 in a 1/2 ton as no one believes it LOL

with the [241C transfercase if that matters.

Mr clinebarger,,, I have finally found a RAM clutch that holds up, as every HD clutch I've used only lasts 75k and is chattering like a jackhammer. I saw some links where a standard SBC clutch can be fotted to the LS clutch bolt pattern with just opening the clutch holes up,, or a collared bolt (cant remember) Are you familiar with such?

I guess lets not put too much thought into it all. The van was gone by the time I got out there to have a look, and the whole idea just seems counterproductive. I'm pulling a 26foot 8500 pound trailer (loaded) with a 5100 pound 117" wheelbase 1/2 ton which is just stupidity I know. The little Vortec 383 roller motor is marginal but does the job,,,

more power isn't what I need ....MORE TRUCK is. I just need to find a nice 02-05 3/4 ton extended cab with a duramax and allison and be done with it.

Well,,,... that or a 40' coach with a cummins and 6spd like I really want LOL, At least I'd have something to live in when the wife throws my ass out for buying it!!!