The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2015, 09:01 PM   #1
Craftsmen

WTB small block v8 crossmember.

I have a 1970 SWB with the i6 250 with the 3 speed manual tranny. Planning on installing a 350 sb in the forward eight position and keeping the 3 speed. I need the bell housing support for the small block and also the clutch linkage parts to hook up my clutch in the new forward position. Thanks for your reply, no reasonable offer refused.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
SeventyOne

Re: WTB small block v8 crossmember.

I have the engine crossmember off my 71 K5 4x4. Will that work for you?
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
DLTruck1973

What do you have to work with now.

Here is what you will need. Changing to a small block from a V8 moves the engine/trans forward as you know.

I have the correct trans cross member $75.00. Small block engine stands $35.00 for the pair. Bell crank set up is $45.00, if you need all of it from the clutch pedal to the throw out bearing fork.

You will also need a v8 drive line which I will have to check on for a SWB. Also, you will need a fan shroud for a small block and I need to know if you have AC or not.

Let me know if interested and I can get you most of what you need if not everything.

Thank you,
Thomas
DLTruck1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:26 PM   #4
Craftsmen

Hi Thomas, thanks for your reply, I have a running driving 1970 chevy C10 stock Inline six cylinder 250 with the 3 speed manual transmission. The truck is a SWB 2 wheel drive with a one piece drive shaft. No air conditioning. It sounds like you know exactly what I need to put a small block 350 into my truck. I want to install it in the factory position so when I go to car shows etc. people wont know that it was a original 6 cylinder. I do want to purchase from you all that you can supply me for this project. As far as the engine that I am putting in it will probably be a 350 small block crate engine from Jegs. I under stand I need the engine to have the 2 piece rear main seal so I can bolt my fly wheel and clutch assembly and bell housing to it that I'm taking off my 6 cylinder. If I'm incorrect or if you can steer me straight I'd really appreciate it. As far as I understand this is what I need besides small things like hoses etc.,

I need the small block manual cross member to mount under the bell housing since the frame changes when I move forward,

I need the perches for the small block 350 since the are different on my 6 cylinder.

I need the clutch motor bracket and ball socket to mount to the 350 as well as any thing in that arrangement that I cant reuse from my 6 cylinder.

Ill need the longer one piece drive shaft to reach the transmission, I guess what I have read the new position is about 3-1/2" forward, distance moved from the 6 Cylinder to the small block V8 position.

Thanks, Rick
Old 01-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
Craftsmen

Thanks for your reply Seventyone but I think the crossmember may be different on the 4 wheel drive? The crossmember I need bolts mounts under the bell housing and supports both the engine and the 3 speed transmission.

Thanks, Rick
Old 01-14-2015, 05:49 PM   #6
DLTruck1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsmen View Post
Hi Thomas, thanks for your reply, I have a running driving 1970 chevy C10 stock Inline six cylinder 250 with the 3 speed manual transmission. The truck is a SWB 2 wheel drive with a one piece drive shaft. No air conditioning. It sounds like you know exactly what I need to put a small block 350 into my truck. I want to install it in the factory position so when I go to car shows etc. people wont know that it was a original 6 cylinder. I do want to purchase from you all that you can supply me for this project. As far as the engine that I am putting in it will probably be a 350 small block crate engine from Jegs. I under stand I need the engine to have the 2 piece rear main seal so I can bolt my fly wheel and clutch assembly and bell housing to it that I'm taking off my 6 cylinder. If I'm incorrect or if you can steer me straight I'd really appreciate it. As far as I understand this is what I need besides small things like hoses etc.,

I need the small block manual cross member to mount under the bell housing since the frame changes when I move forward,

I need the perches for the small block 350 since the are different on my 6 cylinder.

I need the clutch motor bracket and ball socket to mount to the 350 as well as any thing in that arrangement that I cant reuse from my 6 cylinder.

Ill need the longer one piece drive shaft to reach the transmission, I guess what I have read the new position is about 3-1/2" forward, distance moved from the 6 Cylinder to the small block V8 position.

Thanks, Rick
Hi Rick,

The only thing I cannot help you with here is the drive line. The original drive line is a 2 piece and is specific for 3 speed trucks with a V8. You may want to look into having a dreiveline made if you want to stick with a one piece.

What I do have is the correct V8 transmission cross member, the small block engine stands (with bolts) and the clutch motor bracket and ball socket (on the engine side) Not sure if the 6 cyl and small block clutch rod from the pedal and to the throw out fork are the same but I can look into it. Most of my bell crank parts are grouped from the truck they were removed from so there is no confusion on mis matched parts.

For what I have mentioned, you will be at about $200.00 shipped. If you give me your zip code, I can get you a exact price.

I just sold this basic set up not but 3 weeks ago so I am familiar with what you need.

Let me know,
Thomas
Old 01-14-2015, 06:37 PM   #7
Craftsmen

Thanks Thomas,
Darn I was hoping that you would have everything. If GM made the drive shaft in two pieces for the V8 3 speed maybe I should stick with it. What's your opinion? Can I get away with just lengthen what I have? Do you know if anyone has done this? Do you think maybe you'll get one in the future for the 3 speed V8?

As far as the clutch linkage if you have everything in a set, I just as soon have to many parts than not enough.

You also mentioned that I need a fan shroud for no AC, do have one and a price?

Would you know if my stock 6 cyl. radiator will cool the small block okay?

MY ZIP IS 13069 I live in Fulton, NY. I do have paypal if you want to go that way for payment. Thanks, Rick
Old 01-14-2015, 07:14 PM   #8
DLTruck1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsmen View Post
Thanks Thomas,
Darn I was hoping that you would have everything. If GM made the drive shaft in two pieces for the V8 3 speed maybe I should stick with it. What's your opinion? Can I get away with just lengthen what I have? Do you know if anyone has done this? Do you think maybe you'll get one in the future for the 3 speed V8?

As far as the clutch linkage if you have everything in a set, I just as soon have to many parts than not enough.

You also mentioned that I need a fan shroud for no AC, do have one and a price?

Would you know if my stock 6 cyl. radiator will cool the small block okay?

MY ZIP IS 13069 I live in Fulton, NY. I do have paypal if you want to go that way for payment. Thanks, Rick
Hi Rick,

I do have a fan shroud available for an additional $45.00. They shipping on everything may go up a little but not too bad. Do you know how many row radiator you have currently. If you have a 3 row radiator and not running AC, you should be just fine.

As far as the drive line, the chances of getting a hold of one is hit and miss. We take these 67-72 trucks in all the time here but they are mainly LWB trucks here and SWB's are a little harder to come by, especially with that combination.

They would have to make a new tube for your drive line if you are going to stay with a one piece. You will have to know the length of the shaft from u joint center to u joint center. A good drive line shop will be able to tell you where and what to measure to get the correct length. If it is just a matter of having a tube that is 3 1/2 longer than what you currently have, that should be simple.

Paypal is fine. I will send you a private message with the paypal address.

Give me some time to get everything collected and I can get you a complete total for everything we discussed.

Thank you,
Thomas
Old 01-16-2015, 10:24 AM   #9
Dads1967

I have a v-8 3 speed 2 piece driveline if you are still looking for one. To verify it will work I will need the measurement of your driveshaft so i can make sure mine is 3 1/2 inches longer.
Dads1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:03 PM   #10
qksilver

may be I am wrong but I have swapped a few V-8 into 63-72 trucks. I tend to do things as easy as possible with stock parts. Turns out to also be budget friendy. The transmissions with a manual use only one crossmember, again, I might be wrong. So leave the trans in where it is, you can use the 6 cylinder mounts just move them to the proper set of holes.

Bolt the V-8 to the six bellhousing, use the 6 cylinder fly wheel clutch etc, the clutch linkage stays the same, bolt the engine mounts in the right place gat a shroud and exhaust , move a few wires , it it is stock height the V-8 will get you a nice stance in the front do what ever you need to get the stance you want in the back. depending on the rows of the radiator use that but I always recommend use the biggest you can afford and you are pretty much done.

Moving the trans and crossmember would be a pain in the butt and new this and that. Keep a simple swap simple.

Just my 2 cents after doing this for 40 years.

Steve

Last edited by qksilver; 01-16-2015 at 09:15 PM.
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #11
Dads1967

Cool Re: WTB small block v8 crossmember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qksilver View Post
may be I am wrong but I have swapped a few V-8 into 63-72 trucks. I tend to do things as easy as possible with stock parts. Turns out to also be budget friendy. The transmissions with a manual use only one crossmember, again, I might be wrong. So leave the trans in were it is, you can use the 6 cylinder mounts just move them to the proper set of holes.

Bolt the V-8 to the six bellhousing, use the 6 cylinder fly wheel clutch etc, the clutch linkage stays the same, bolt the engine mounts in the right place gat a shroud and exhaust , move a few wires , it it is stock height the V-8 will get you a nice stance in the front do what ever you need to get the stance you want in the back. depending on the rows of the radiator use that but I always recommend use the biggest you can afford and you are pretty much done.

Moving the trans and crossmember would be a pain in the butt and new this and that. Keep a simple swap simple.

Just my 2 cents after doing this for 40 years.

Steve
you can leave the motor mounts in the 6 cylinder location and just use electric fans. Easy to wire and you can leave everything the way it is. I agree use the K.I.S.S method. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID
Dads1967 is offline   Reply With Quote