The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2015, 06:44 PM   #1
cameo

57 Pick-up performance Question

So I love the Expendables ford. It reminds me of Stallone's 40 in Cobra.

I'd like something similar with my 57 bowtie.
If running a 5 or 6 speed manual, how do you think the clutch would react/feel in the stock location? Would the feel or performance be off when running the truck hard?? Autocross type having fun? Or would it be better swinging the clutch and brake peddles from under the dash. (I am not a real fan of that style)
The same question comparing the Camaro/Firebird subframe to the Mustang/aftermarket kits???

Too many decisions. I haven't driven one of these trucks in way too many years
cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
yossarian19

Re: 57 Pick-up performance Question

I'm not sure how many 5 / 6 speeds use a cable actuated clutch - I thought they were all modern enough to use hydraulics (??)
That could be a deal breaker for the OE pedals.
I rather suspect that a cable clutch is going to have a longer travel in the pedal, the longer arc bumping up mechanical advantage in the absence of hydraulic power.
I'd switch to under-dash pedals - which leaves you planning your brake system as well, boost / no boost / vacuum or hydraulic.

There are fewer options for control arms, spindles and wheels when you swap in a 03+ Crown Victoria front suspension but it's fairly easy to do (almost as easy as a bolt in MII kit, and much cheaper) and it comes with dual-piston 12.5" front brakes, power R&P and it's the same stuff used in police cruisers: tough, capable & easy to find. Alternately, go with MII kits - Camaro stuff would be my last choice.

You can also put a Lincoln Mark VIII rear suspension in your truck, likely to handle a lot better than a solid axle is ever going to. www.truckirs.com has more details. Or look for Team 321. They have info on both the Crown Vic and Mark VIII stuff. If I ever build an evil twin for my '57 work truck, it will be done that way.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:08 PM   #3
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post

There are fewer options for control arms, spindles and wheels when you swap in a 03+ Crown Victoria front suspension but it's fairly easy to do (almost as easy as a bolt in MII kit, and much cheaper) and it comes with dual-piston 12.5" front brakes, power R&P and it's the same stuff used in police cruisers: tough, capable & easy to find.
my friend put a crown vic IFS on a ferd the other day, made it look easy, took him about 6 hours. here is a pic before the rack and sway bar.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:10 PM   #4
cameo

How's the crown Vic fit with a Chevy? Any pics and experience?
Old 01-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
OrrieG

I remember complaints about ride height because it sits so far below the frame and axle CL, guys could not slam them as far as they wanted.

But before we get to much off topic, if you upgrade the trans then you will probably be into a matching hydralic clutch/bellhousing assembly and new pedal assy by default. Stock mechanical lever clutch linkage could be used too, you would need the 55-57 v-8 zbar and linkage and cast iron v-8 bellhousing, or later model bellhousing and deal with the linkage modification.

Last edited by OrrieG; 01-22-2015 at 06:41 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:48 PM   #6
cameo

OrrieG,
Still kind of on topic. That's my problem. I've had this thing fo so long and now finally have a plan, just not sure the best route to get there.
MII, Trans am, now Crown Vic? 5-6 Speed, 4L80e, 400 with gear vendors?

I know I will not put air bags. Other than that I want to do all the work myself in my garage.

I hate thinking.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #7
yossarian19

Well, let's talk about the plan first.
What engine do you want?
Strong feelings about auto vs manual?
Do you care much about a specific ride height or look, or simply want it to handle?
Budget?
Old 01-24-2015, 07:01 PM   #8
mr48chev

The Crown Vic crossmember works on Ford F100 trucks because the frame width on the truck is within very small fractions of an inch of the Crown Vic frame both in width and height.

The big rub is that you are extremely limited to what wheels you can run and most guys end up using rather ugly wheels with a positive offset (front wheel drive style to get them inside the fenders. That might fly if a guy wanted to go with a dualie look with positive offset rims on the front and a narrow rear axle with deep negative offset rims on the rear.

I'm not sure on the ride height but the 67 F100 that Carcrafter22 did on the Ford truck board http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/71...o-67-f100.html sits fairly high. That's a long thread but I'd say it is an absolute must read for anyone contemplating doing a Crown Vic swap.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:59 PM   #9
yossarian19

I understand that everyone has a different set of priorities but I give almost zero thought to wheel options. If they roll true and clear my brakes... that's about it.
Also - the 55-59 frame is also 34" wide, and so works just as well as the F100 for a CV swap. Power rack & pinion, 12.5" discs & dual pot calipers with the same GAWR as the 1/2 ton truck had to begin with.
I'm sure a lot of guys are sick of seeing my recommend it but if you want to use your truck like a truck and run IFS, there is no better or cheaper option.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:25 AM   #10
1project2many

The T56 used in Camaro / Firebird applications is hydraulically operated but there are mechanical linkage conversion kits available. The original hydraulic system limits apply/release times by including a restriction in the hydraulic line. Designing a system without this restriction or switching to mechanical linkage makes speed shifting fun again.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:56 AM   #11
47 Fasttoys

The Fox body Mustang uses a hanging pedal assembly and a cable operated clutch. The manual versions came with a WC 5 speed. It also has an automatic adjustment feature. I use this system in my FFR Cobra and do both autocross and road racing with it and could not be happier with the operation. For a truck fitment you would need to extend the pedal a bit, but that's not a big deal.
Rob
Old 01-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #12
OrrieG

Oh, you are supposed to use the clutch when speed shifting????
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote