The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
joeydurango

Disc brake dust shield questions

So my driver's side disc brake dust shield lost its fixing bolt the other day and started rattling and dragging on the inside of the wheel. Was an hour from home so I pulled the wheel and simply yanked the dust shield off. A bit of damage to the upper edges of the sheet metal, but it looks salvageable. A few questions for the wizards - truck is a 72 4x4.

-Does anyone know the bolt size (thread and length) that holds this on? I could pull the passenger wheel and take that shield off to see but if someone knows that would be easy.

-Do I need to take the rotor off to bolt the shield back in place? Looks tight but if the bolt is short enough maybe I can get behind the rotor. The bolt came out, after all.

-Does anyone have a photo of the shield installed without the rotor in place? Not quite sure if that single bolt is all that holds it on or if the upper edges (damaged on mine) are shaped in some way to hold things in place.

-Finally, are the driver and passenger sides different, or mount differently?

I understand the 72 dust shields are kind of hard to find. As I do drive a lot of gravel and mountain roads, I'd like to keep mine intact. Thanks everyone!
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote