The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
NavyJetMechLegacy

Check this out, your welcome :D

Well, I've been back and forth now for awhile on whether or not to undercoat my 67'. Its currently a daily driver, so I should do some kind of corrosion prevention, but I don't want an ugly mess to clean up from a failed cheap bed-liner on it.

So I'm curious, what do you guys do to prevent rust in your undercarriage?

Here's my idea, in the Navy I was a jet mechanic. We inspected, tore down, built up, and tested primarily F18 engines on an aircraft carrier. We all know salt water is super corrosive, so we had to put this goopy black crap called grad 4 on certain components that were notorious for rusting. It was messsy, and of-course that gear was always located in the most convenient spots! It was virtually impossible to check, tighten, or work around the engine during testing without getting that crap on your uniform, which doesn't come out...I worked in hazmat when I first got to the ship, so I was very familiar with the the whole process of finding suitable replacements for items that we might run out of while on deployment.

So after getting Grade 4 on my uniform for the last time I did some digging and came up with this aerosol spray called "Solid Film" not the same as the product "fluid film" I had to look through some of my old papers to find the identification number for it. You can search it by the "MIL SPEC" or the "NIIN" that ill provide below, and ill put a link to the only site I've found so far that has prices for it posted.

It essentially looks like a high quality flat gray spray paint with a super smooth finish.

The grade 4 which had the same mil spec but we all hated was an every 3 month job essentially cleaning it off and re applying it. Bustin whatever Rustin was occurring.

But when we used the solid film spray, it doubled or more the length of time that they actually needed touch ups. And that's in an environment exposed to all kinds of detergents, jet fuel, and of-course salt spray.

I'm pretty sure if its applied to a car it'll last a year or more no problems. That's my theory at least. $40 every 16 oz its an expensive theory but I might have a hook up somewhere...hopefully :P

The bottom link tells you all the info on it that you want to know if your a nerd like me and want to know what testing is involved and how well it performed, etc. but for those that don't want to ill post the paragraph from it where it says how long it last in various environments. I'd say its fairly accurate 90% of our gear prolly could have gone 9-10 months without touch ups but it depended on who was applying it and if they cared or not.

Good luck, the war on rust never ends! especially if your like I used to be and "spray once for dust and twice for rust"

" Corrosion protection life. This lubricant can be expected to provide corrosion
protection for five years in indoor storage and approximately two years protection in outdoor
storage when the lubricant is applied over phosphated steel to a thickness of 0.013 mm. Where
maximum corrosion protection of steel is desired, the lubricant should be applied over
phosphated steel to a thickness of 0.025 mm. This heavier coating can be expected to provide
outdoor corrosion protection for approximately four years.
"

http://www.skygeek.com/sandstrom-28a...rf-46147d.html

http://solidfilmlubricants.com/Specs/L46147C.pdf

1967 Chevy C10 Fleetside 383 Stroker

Navy Jet Mech Veteran 2009-2014 OIF OEF OND

Last edited by NavyJetMechLegacy; 02-27-2015 at 01:14 PM.
NavyJetMechLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: Check this out, your welcome :D

I've used POR 15 for many many years, and zero complaints.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
Ironangel

Kinda depends on how particular you want to get and where and what the component part, piece, or area is...Your probably familiar with "Navel Jelly" ...It's nothing more than Phosphoric Acid suspended in a jell compound. I went to The Home Depot and bought a gallon of this stuff and sprayed my rusty bed down with it. http://www.homedepot.com/s/phosphoric+acid?NCNI-5 Let it dry, spray or roll on some cold galvanizing primer, and then I rolled on the black Rust-Oleum bed liner...Worked great and is still holding up 2 years later...Underneath, same method except I either use rubberized undercoat in aerosol can or on my wood bed, I spray everything down with 50/50 diesel fuel and used motor oil...You can get as exotic and as labor intensive as your wallet and your desires will go...I work and drive both my trucks but rust control on a 40+ year old vehicle is an on going endeavor in the Mid-West...I detail each part and area as the maintenance or upgrade presents...
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"

Last edited by Ironangel; 02-27-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
NavyJetMechLegacy

I've heard alot of good things about POR 15 too, I plan on putting a wood bed in my C10 eventually so I defiantly wont put a liner in there. I just have surface rust in my undercarriage and I know how well the Solid Film works in aviation at sea so it has to be incredible on auto bodies in far less corrosive environments.

However, I came across a bunch of reviews on that site that sells it for $40 a can they have a 6/10 seller rating and a lot of complaints concerning no contact after they pay so I'm sure how much id trust them yet. I may take the risk..but that's a full gas tank if i never get it lol

When to manufacturers website and found their distributers, requested quotes from them only had one reply so far but it was quoted a quantity of 1 for $229 that better be a box of at least 6 and not one can!

Have a Supply buddy checking what the military pays for it tomorrow so ill have a better idea if its too expensive i may just do a clear film type one or possibly POR15.

Does undercoat negatively impact the cost of a classic truck? I guess it would really be a matter of opinion still since these things are only worth what someone will pay for them haha.

thanks for the responses!

1967 Chevy C10 Fleetside 383 Stroker

Navy Jet Mech Veteran 2009-2014 OIF OEF OND
NavyJetMechLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote