The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2015, 09:38 PM   #1
67chevy_hotrod

Electrical failure please help..

OK so this is not a 67-72 chev or GMC... but it is a chev. I just need help with this because i am at a loss and you guys know a lot more about everything than i do. So my dad and i where working on the 1964 Bel-Air wagon, my dad was replacing the dome lamp and upon removal it arced and started smoking. Which is no big deal, we disconnected the battery and proceeded to find the whole deal was melted and black. So i just cut away the old bad stuff and wrapped the wires up with the intention of replacing the whole thing with a new plug later. Then I hooked up the battery and went to fire up the car and nothin.. no radio(which was on when it arced but then shut off when it arced) no lights except brake lights when the brakes where applied. And the horn works. But nothing else at all. Please help any knowledgeable input is greatly appreciated. Electric is witchcraft to me and my dad. Once this issue is resolved I will delete this post immediately. Did I mention that the wag is blocking in all the other cars and dinner is in an hour?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super 10 turned K30 (sold)
67chevy_hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #2
cooperhw

Re: Electrical failure please help..

I would probably check to see if you have any power to the key switch. If you do have power coming to it it might be fried.
Just guessing. I usually try to find power and chase it until at some junction you don't have power.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:23 PM   #3
lowbucktrucks

look for fusible link
lowbucktrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:31 AM   #4
67chevy_hotrod

Sorry i posted that question in a rush. I failed to mention that the wiring is at least 95% original. All the fuses are good and everything is plugged in. The brake lights work and horn when applied, but the headlights don't work.. usually those all work regardless of ignition on or off. No fusible links the only thing not og is the stereo but its all good i checked all connections. I am at a loss. Oh BTW we made it to dinner haha
Old 03-01-2015, 01:16 AM   #5
franken

Get a voltmeter/DVM, educate yourself on Ohm's law and figure it out.
Measure voltage to ground.
Almost everyone has no clue and will give you bad advice.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:21 AM   #6
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

The wiring for the cars and the trucks are pretty much the same.

Below is the wiring for the 64 truck. The first is the engine compartment and the second is the cab to the key switch and the fuse panel. It also shows the dome light connection. The dome wires are orange and white and the orange wire is the power wire and the white wire is ground. It is grounded when the door is open or the light switch is turned clockwise all the way.

The key switch is powered by a 12 gauge red wire from the horn relay in the engine bay which comes from the battery. The re wire splits in the cab and powers the headlight switch, the ignition switch and the fuse panel. Check for power on this red wire at the key switch and if you have it, jump between the red wire and the purple wire and see if the starter works. The trans must be in park if it's automatic. If the starter turns then I agree that the key switch is bad.

Name:  64_wiring_page1.jpg 1.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  87.9 KB

Follow the red wire from the battery positive down to the horn relay and then through the firewall connector where it splits and goes to the ign switch and to the headlight switch in the next picture. It also goes to the fuse panel.

Name:  64_wiring_page2.jpg
Views: 3331
Size:  96.5 KB

Here's a bonus, the tail light wiring.

Name:  64_wiring_page3.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  37.8 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:57 AM   #7
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Get a voltmeter/DVM, educate yourself on Ohm's law and figure it out.
Measure voltage to ground.
Almost everyone has no clue and will give you bad advice.
That was rather condescending, and rude. Don't be a dick.

@ the OP... there's a lot that can go wrong with an old wiring harness. It helps to try and isolate the problem circuit, but if you have shorts and burned wiring your repair could be complicated. Look for the fuse able link. It should be near your battery. It's put there to protect the entire electrical system. When it blows, you'll have nothing.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #8
71 super

If it is stock wiring, based on what have chased since Christmas with wife's nova, cars are crazy. Many of them do not have a fixable link, but buss bar - spent a lot of time talking with american auto wire tech over car - some 55-57 Chevys if ordered with right options did not even have a fuse box. With 66 nova, no fuse able link only 76" 10 guage wire running from positive wire across core support to buss bar that is part of horn relay. No junction other than this etc. straight up crap. Start at horn relay/ distribution point and see if you have power there- to and from. Most things will be in series on the car, hence reason everything quit. If much has been messed with on car this can be a head ache. Vette vet is the best on this stuff so listen to what he has to say.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:29 PM   #9
67chevy_hotrod

Thanks guys I am going to start messing with it today. And yea most of the car is original besides a stereo(which i hid under the seat and left the stock in the dash). I will start with those diagrams, and start my investigations.. Thanks again!
Old 03-01-2015, 04:47 PM   #10
carsonmx114

Your stereo likely just lost constant power. Modern stereos have both switched and constant power and need both to function. Red wire should be switched 12v, yellow wire is constant 12v. The fact that when shorted the dome light power wire didn't blow a fuse is somewhat concerning. Makes me think someone has modified the wiring. If your wiring was smoking for the time it took to disconnect the battery you probably have extensive damage. The short will start a chain reaction that melts circuits together that aren't supposed to be together and may have opened the constant power circuit in the process. Figure out why you no longer have power on the orange wire at the dome light and that will be your problem.
carsonmx114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:03 PM   #11
MARKDTN

I would start with locating a wiring diagram for a B-Body. The truck is probably close enough for diagnostics, but you really need a car diagram to be complete. I had a '64 Impala back in the day, but can't remember if it had a fusable link or not. If it does, it is probably near either the starter or the horn relay. I would try to find out at the fusebox if you have power to brake light fuse and dome light fuse, these should be on a different circuit than radio, wipers, turns, etc. Chase it forward or back from that depending on what you find.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #12
sKnNyPpY

Sounds like removing the light has 'opened' the circuit. This happened to me when I removed an ammeter and replaced it with a volt meter. The unconnected ammeter wires wouldn't allow the alternator to charge, connected them and presto chargo! VetteVet is the man when it comes to this, helped me a few times.
2.5 CPP Spindle, 1" CPP Drop Spring, CPP Front and Rear Sway Bars/DJM Flip, new General Spring KC 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools 5" BS, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote