The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
Firedawg85

For the Tall folks

I've been looking at ways to increase the leg room in my 72 GMC single cab. The seat appears original and at 6' 8", I'd love to improve the leg room. Since the gas tank sits behind the seat, I'm looking at relocating it and mounting the seat further back. Head room doesn't appear to be a problem, since I'm used to being an inch or so from the ceiling in most vehicles, including fire trucks...

Has anyone done a project like this? My thoughts are to mount it further back and redo the seat with a more modern foam to sit me back further.

Side note, I'd like to keep it a three-seater to fit my two little girls. They love cruising with daddy.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
joeydurango

Re: For the Tall folks

I'm running the tank in the stock location, but I have had the seat in and out several times, and it certainly appears that the tank isn't actually what prevents the seat from moving back any further. I'm pretty positive that the top of the seat contacts the back of the cab rather than the tank itself, so relocating the tank won't help at all, although it will gain you a bit of storage room...
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #3
67 cst swb

look into a 88-98 Chev/GMC 60/40 bench seat. they are thinner in the foam and place you lower and farther back I the cab. Others may have more info on this.
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #4
Firedawg85

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydurango View Post
I'm running the tank in the stock location, but I have had the seat in and out several times, and it certainly appears that the tank isn't actually what prevents the seat from moving back any further. I'm pretty positive that the top of the seat contacts the back of the cab rather than the tank itself, so relocating the tank won't help at all, although it will gain you a bit of storage room...
I noticed the same thing. I was debating lowering the seat height to clear the rear body panel and the top bar of the seat. But, then I'd be maybe gaining 1/2 in till I hit the tank.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #5
Firedawg85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 cst swb View Post
look into a 88-98 Chev/GMC 60/40 bench seat. they are thinner in the foam and place you lower and farther back I the cab. Others may have more info on this.
That's a good idea. I'll look into, thanks!
Old 02-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
joeydurango

Does your windshield have the tint at the top? Compared to you, I'm only 6'2", but unless I'm slouching a little I end up looking through the tint at the road, which is kind of annoying... would be nice to sit a bit lower.
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:01 AM   #7
67 cst swb

Check out this thread, especially posts #4 and #8
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...highlight=seat
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I grew up with these trucks as a kid. When I learned to drive, it was in my Dad's truck ('70 C10) and I was 6' 3" tall. His truck has no tilt steering wheel, no power steering and is a 4 speed. It's a tight fit and using the clutch was "fun". My Dad is 6' 4" and has always just squeezed himself into his truck. So after many years of driving that truck I just got used to it.

I'm 6' 5" now and have had a '67 and now a '72. I just never really gave much thought to how cramped the leg room is because I started from scratch in these rigs. I'm in the process of moving the tank out of the cab, but not for more room. It's just so there is more weight "out back" as compared to amidships. One thing I did do in my '67 is install a smaller steering wheel. It helped a lot. There are threads here on how to make your stock steering wheel smaller if you want to go that route.

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:31 PM   #9
Steve Cole

The main ways to gain more room that I know about are: 88-98 Chev/GMC 60/40 bench seat, collapse the steering column, smaller steering wheel, relocate the pedals, tilt steering, flat steering wheel, and turn it into a crew cab. I believe there are threads explaining how to do all of these here. (except maybe the crew cab mod) I'm only 5'10" and the cab is cramped for me, I couldn't imagine driving one of these trucks at 6'8"

You (or someone)should cut a bench seat down and relocate it so it tucks into the space where the gas tank was and do a thread showing everyone how to do it.

Good luck!
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:53 PM   #10
Firedawg85

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydurango View Post
Does your windshield have the tint at the top? Compared to you, I'm only 6'2", but unless I'm slouching a little I end up looking through the tint at the road, which is kind of annoying... would be nice to sit a bit lower.
It doesnt thankfully, but my wifes old 05 dodge magnum did, as well as a sunroof. I had damn near a "gangsta lean" just to see straight, not to mention street lights...
Old 02-04-2015, 02:57 PM   #11
Firedawg85

Thanks for all the great ideas and insight all, ill be looking into all these ideas.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #12
hugger6933

I have since lost a hundred or so but I used to be right at 4 bills and 6 foot 2 inches. I added a tilt column to one of mine with a little smaller wheel and also collapsed it as far as it should go. The down side to that is it takes away some of the tilts effectiveness by shortening the lever effect. Also I had this in a 68 with buddy buckets so they may be a little different than what you normally deal with. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #13
68shortwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedawg85 View Post
It doesnt thankfully, but my wifes old 05 dodge magnum did, as well as a sunroof. I had damn near a "gangsta lean" just to see straight, not to mention street lights...
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:04 PM   #14
Lees68GMC

I'm 6'-2", 300 Lbs and I solved the problems you speak of by using 2002 S10 Blazer ZR2 bucket seats and then my buddy Tim installed them with cut down brackets so my line of sight is straight through the middle of the windshield. Also all the way back there is comfortable leg room. U-pickit seats $60.00 for the pair, full size Blazer center console E-bay $50.00 and vinyl paint.
Attached Images

"No matter what happens, nobody gets out alive"
Lees68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:13 PM   #15
Firedawg85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
The main ways to gain more room that I know about are: 88-98 Chev/GMC 60/40 bench seat, collapse the steering column, smaller steering wheel, relocate the pedals, tilt steering, flat steering wheel, and turn it into a crew cab. I believe there are threads explaining how to do all of these here. (except maybe the crew cab mod) I'm only 5'10" and the cab is cramped for me, I couldn't imagine driving one of these trucks at 6'8"

You (or someone)should cut a bench seat down and relocate it so it tucks into the space where the gas tank was and do a thread showing everyone how to do it.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. Once I get the truck running a bit more cosistant, i will be looking into taller creature comforts, and of course, uploading pics.

The brake pedal is the worst part about it. I might have to get creative to tuck it back some.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:50 AM   #16
Jim53066

firedawg,

The search is down right now, but when it gets back do a search on lower brake pedal.
Someone on the board lowered their pedal and I copied them and it worked great in my 65, your 72 should be the same unless it has power brakes.

Basically all I had to do was loosen the lock nuts on the brake pedal rod, screw the threaded rod into the adjuster coupling about 1/2 inch, and it lowered the brake pedal height by about 1 to 1 1/2 inches. All you have to do then is place a bolt (I used a carrage bolt) in the hole where the rubber pedal stopper was and take a rubber boot like you see on the feet of bar stools cut it down and glue it to the head of the stop bolt.

Make sure you adjust it so there is a little play before the pedal starts activating the brakes. (I left about 1/4 inch of play)Then adjust your brake light switch.

Jim

Search is back up, here is the link with pics.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=516070
Jim53066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:45 AM   #17
Mapearso

I am 6'5"

I have removed the gas tank and I am removing / cutting back the metal that sits above it so the seats will go further back. I am also shaving a couple inches out of the seat back foam

I've already modified the gas pedal and the brake pedal, moving them closer to the firewall to give more legroom

Tilt column on the way

I'm hoping all these things combined will give me more room.
Mapearso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:52 AM   #18
Steve Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapearso View Post
I am 6'5"

I have removed the gas tank and I am removing / cutting back the metal that sits above it so the seats will go further back. I am also shaving a couple inches out of the seat back foam

I've already modified the gas pedal and the brake pedal, moving them closer to the firewall to give more legroom

Tilt column on the way

I'm hoping all these things combined will give me more room.

Can you post some pics of your progress? I would like to see how you moved the pedals. Thanks.
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:55 PM   #19
Mapearso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
Can you post some pics of your progress? I would like to see how you moved the pedals. Thanks.
Pictures are here ...
Mapearso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:21 PM   #20
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: For the Tall folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapearso View Post
Pictures are here ...
Here is the link to my thread about the back plate for more leg room which Mapearso is speaking of.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=660134

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:06 PM   #21
Firedawg85

Cool Re: For the Tall folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim53066 View Post
firedawg,

The search is down right now, but when it gets back do a search on lower brake pedal.
Someone on the board lowered their pedal and I copied them and it worked great in my 65, your 72 should be the same unless it has power brakes.

Basically all I had to do was loosen the lock nuts on the brake pedal rod, screw the threaded rod into the adjuster coupling about 1/2 inch, and it lowered the brake pedal height by about 1 to 1 1/2 inches. All you have to do then is place a bolt (I used a carrage bolt) in the hole where the rubber pedal stopper was and take a rubber boot like you see on the feet of bar stools cut it down and glue it to the head of the stop bolt.

Make sure you adjust it so there is a little play before the pedal starts activating the brakes. (I left about 1/4 inch of play)Then adjust your brake light switch.

Jim

Good find, this is a great, and cheap, way to help out. I'm going to give this a try before I start cutting into the seat...

I'm starting to wonder, maybe a suburban would have been a better choice...
Old 03-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #22
Firedawg85

Oh my goodness, so much improvement in leg room! I dropped the pedal to damn near being level with the gas pedal, threw in a carriage bolt and it's like a whole new truck. For those of you looking to do the same, it's worth the time and effort. I also found out my truck was once a manual trans truck...well, at least the cab.

Thanks to all for your help. Next step is getting me further back in the cab.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:16 PM   #23
conman585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedawg85 View Post
Oh my goodness, so much improvement in leg room! I dropped the pedal to damn near being level with the gas pedal, threw in a carriage bolt and it's like a whole new truck. For those of you looking to do the same, it's worth the time and effort. I also found out my truck was once a manual trans truck...well, at least the cab.

Any Pics? How did you do it? Thanks
conman585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #24
Firedawg85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim53066 View Post
firedawg,

Jim

Use this link at the bottom. Much better pics than mine....since I didn't really take any.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:48 PM   #25
jcblue

Like stated above.. Find an 88-93 chevy or gmc bench.. Those sit deeper than the 94-98 models. Then remove the brackets and cut 2-3 inches out of the center of each bracket to drop it down closer to the floor.. I used the width of 2 inch masking tape as a guide.. Also mount the seat brackets in the valley between where the seat normally mounts.. I also removed the tank and can move the seat back giving more room.. The lower brackets let the seat back rest just below the hump under the rear glass..

Last edited by jcblue; 03-03-2015 at 10:32 AM.
jcblue is offline   Reply With Quote