The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #1
C10Sam

2wd lift: ball joint spacers and shocks recommendations? New member!

I've referenced this site for a couple of years now on my '63 build and now on my '70. Great info here! Anyway, I'm in the process of lifting my '70 c10 lwb to run some 32's on stock 15" rallies. The truck needs new springs and shocks anyways, and I prefer the 'look' of a K10 in the longbed, so I figured, why not! I know there's not that many guys going up with a 2wd but I know a few have so I'm hoping someone out there can help me with a few questions:

After a lot of research I've decided to have some custom springs made (front and rear) to achieve lift; in the front, I'm going 3 inches over OE spring length, so I know that I will likely need to make some other changes like extended brake lines, limiting straps, upper ball joint flip and BJ spacers, longer shocks, low profile bump stops, etc.

With that in mind, do any of you guys know where I can find ball joint spacers for our trucks? I know there's not much out there... I see that Airbagit has some but not sure if there's a better option for my purposes... any ideas?

For that matter, will it be absolutely 'necessary' to modify the upper ball joints for alignment or to add longer brake lines? This is a weekend cruiser that will probably never leave pavement and will see less than 500-1000 miles a year.

Also, can I run stock length shocks or will I need a longer shock in the front? If so, any recommendations for a good/affordable shock?

I want the truck to sit level or slightly nose up so, in the rear (coils, not leafs), I'm going 0.75 inches over OE spring length. I'm thinking that I won't need to make any modifications back there. Will I need to install an adjustable parhard bar with the slight "lift" created by the slightly taller springs. I'm thinking that the taller springs won't too badly effect pinion angle, but could I be wrong? Any opinions?

I'll attempt to post a couple of pictures: a picture of how the truck sits today (notice rear sag...I think PO heated springs to drop it) and a picture of the truck with a jack under the frame to show what I'm trying to achieve (although, this was 2.5 inches over OE in front and stock in rear, so it will sit slightly higher than this). Current tires are 235 in rear and 225 in front.

Thanks for any help!!
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
C10Sam

Re: 2wd lift: ball joint spacers and shocks recommendations? New member!

of course the pictures would be upside down... dang iphone camera. Let me try one more time (sorry, still trying to learn how to post!):
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2015, 09:02 PM   #3
72MARIO

I have Been down this road before dpnt do it. Nothing good about lifting with coils. You should search 2wd lift spindle there is a thread on how to with 88 up spindles. That's the way to go if you want to lift it.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:09 PM   #4
72MARIO

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=469743

Thy this
2005 TAHOE DD
Old 01-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #5
72MARIO

http:// http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=447061 and this.
2005 TAHOE DD
Old 01-16-2015, 09:27 PM   #6
C10Sam

Thanks 72Mario, I thoroughly researched all available options before deciding to go the lift coil route because it seemed like the lift spindles, while a more appropriate option for lifting, required heavier modifications and it's own set of issues. For what the truck is (budget for mods, etc) and for how I will be using it, it seemed like lift coils was a better option for me.

I'm not just putting 1 ton or BB springs in... these are custom made springs and they're already on there way, so I'm going to try to make the best of it . I posted a couple of weeks ago looking for advice but didn't get any responses so I just had to go with my research and my gut... hope I didn't screw up.

So, my plan is the custom made lift springs, with 3" over OE up front (and a 15% spring rate increase to improve handling) and 0.75" over OE in the rear (with 15% spring rate increase) to give the truck a slight "nose up" stance. Also new shocks and, if need be, flip the upper ball joint and also add ball joint spacers, low profile bump stops to give me [back] as much of the droop as possible that I will be loosing from the taller springs, and maybe limiting straps and extended brake lines if it looks like they're too stretched.

Do you think that, with these custom springs (and not 1-ton or BB springs like some people do) and all of the additional provisions, I will still have problems? What specifically were your issues with lift coils?

Thanks for your help... any advice is appreciated!
Old 01-16-2015, 11:06 PM   #7
BlacklandCamper

Curious to see if any of the modifications in those threads can apply to 67-72 eight lug 2wd trucks. I was simply going to go the route of using later model diesel springs, but another inch or two wouldn't hurt.

Donkey: 93 Nissan D21, the farm truck. My 1/2 ton SWB. The Indomitable Datsun.
1st BN 3rd MAR. '00-'04
BlacklandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:38 AM   #8
dirtyjim

instead of ball joint spacers you could use qa1 extended ball joints,
Old 01-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #9
72MARIO

I had a 1" ball joint spacer. I flipped the ball joint to the underside of the control arm. The problems I had were ideler arm lasted 10000 miles running a 285 76 16 tire. Alignment is not possible to get anywhere close to spec. Handled horribly I actually had the upper ball joint rip thru the upper control arm.

My springs are procomp 3" lift.
2005 TAHOE DD
Old 01-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #10
C10Sam

well, dang, that doesn't sound good! Yeah, I realize lift coils are not the best option but to go with lifted spindles I would have had to also do a front disc conversion on top of sourcing 3/4 lower control arms, tie rod ends, etc, etc and on a $5k truck, I just wasn't prepared to go that deep. I know, I know... if I wasn't prepared to do it the "right" way, then I shouldn't do it at all. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment but there was a guy on here (pooz911, I think) that said he ran a 3" lift coil set up for 15 years without problems.

I will probably put less than 1000 miles a year on the truck and only on pavement and will go no larger than a 32x11.50 on an 8" rim (maybe only 31x10.50) so I'm hoping that with the light highway use and only a moderate size tire I will not run into untimely component failure.

72Mario, did you take yours off road at all? Who manufactured your BJ spacers and are those procomp springs for 67-72 or are they the later model spring? A couple of other (questions, sorry but you are the first person I've actually talked to with experience with this!): did you run stock shocks? with 3" springs in the front, did you do anything in the rear and did the truck sit level or nose up? I know you're a 3/4 ton with leaf so it's a little different situation... You say it handled horrible; just a rough ride or was it really squirrelly? Any issues with the limited droop (hard slams when hitting potholes, etc)? I see too that your signature says 3" lift with 33's, so what set up are you running now? Now I'm worried I may have wasted $450!! Again, sorry for all of the questions but it's a huge help for me.

dirtyjim, I briefly looked into the extended ball joints, but wasn't real sure what to make of it. Some folks seem to like them, some not and I couldn't find much (if any) info on folks using them with taller coils on 67-72 C10s. Do you have any experience with using them?

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 01-17-2015, 01:22 PM   #11
leddzepp

I like how your truck sits now, it looks nice and level. What did you do to achieve this? I have a 68 LWB and would love for it to have the stance yours does.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #12
dirtyjim

the only experience I have with them is using the 1" extended upper bj when running mustang 2 spindles, so its not the same application.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #13
C10Sam

thanks dirtyjim.

leddzepp, stance is the result of either someone heating the rear coils to intentionally lower the rear or 40 years of heavy haulin'... haha. Either way, the rear coils are shot; almost every coil is compressed and sitting on the next. So right now the 235's in the rear are crammed in the wheel wells and the 225's up front are riding on [near] factory ride height. If you want the rear coils, there yours! Coincidentally, my new lift coils showed up this morning, unannounced. So looks like it's time to see how big of a mistake I may have made with these lifted coils. Wish me luck! And, please, any and all advice/wisdom is welcome!
Old 03-12-2015, 12:56 AM   #14
Coronadj

Hey did you ever finish your truck if so how did it come out?
Coronadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:11 AM   #15
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10Sam View Post
well, dang, that doesn't sound good! Yeah, I realize lift coils are not the best option but to go with lifted spindles I would have had to also do a front disc conversion on top of sourcing 3/4 lower control arms, tie rod ends, etc, etc and on a $5k truck, I just wasn't prepared to go that deep. I know, I know... if I wasn't prepared to do it the "right" way, then I shouldn't do it at all. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment but there was a guy on here (pooz911, I think) that said he ran a 3" lift coil set up for 15 years without problems.

I will probably put less than 1000 miles a year on the truck and only on pavement and will go no larger than a 32x11.50 on an 8" rim (maybe only 31x10.50) so I'm hoping that with the light highway use and only a moderate size tire I will not run into untimely component failure.

72Mario, did you take yours off road at all? Who manufactured your BJ spacers and are those procomp springs for 67-72 or are they the later model spring? A couple of other (questions, sorry but you are the first person I've actually talked to with experience with this!): did you run stock shocks? with 3" springs in the front, did you do anything in the rear and did the truck sit level or nose up? I know you're a 3/4 ton with leaf so it's a little different situation... You say it handled horrible; just a rough ride or was it really squirrelly? Any issues with the limited droop (hard slams when hitting potholes, etc)? I see too that your signature says 3" lift with 33's, so what set up are you running now? Now I'm worried I may have wasted $450!! Again, sorry for all of the questions but it's a huge help for me.

dirtyjim, I briefly looked into the extended ball joints, but wasn't real sure what to make of it. Some folks seem to like them, some not and I couldn't find much (if any) info on folks using them with taller coils on 67-72 C10s. Do you have any experience with using them?

Thanks for all the help guys!
Well maybe you can cut off part of the front coils and put some lowering blocks on the rear if necessary.

I don't really know if that's a good option, just a thought. Maybe someone will chime in about that.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote